Author Topic: Will SSR4 run without a Freestyle?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Will SSR4 run without a Freestyle?
« on: May 02, 2010, »
Newbie Question. Will the SSR4 run on it's own in DMX mode with an EX/RX or do you need a Freestyle as well? :-[  Also if it will are there any advantages to using a Freestyle? Thanks in advance for what I am sure is a stupid question.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Will SSR4 run without a Freestyle?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, »
If you have the SSR4 with the DMX option,  you do not need a Freestyle to drive the SSR4...  just a good DMX512 stream...    

Replacing the RS485 chip on the SSR4/DMX to allow connecting a LE-RX as described in the WIKI, creates a fully wireless standalone 4 channel controller.    There is no output stream from the onboard RJ45 when configured in this manner.  

The second option  (without considering other configuration options)  is to use the external version 2 transceiver or the external version 1 receiver.   A cat5 cable wiht RJ45 connnectors  (i.e. Cat5 patch cable)  then connects the receiver to the SSR4 input...   In this configuration, the SSR4 Output connector is active.  

Hope this helps.

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

This may help with info.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes, the SSR4 with the DMX option, will run with DMX wired, or wireless.  Advantages of the FreeStyle include not needing the DMX option for SSR4 units.  A cost advantage for 32 SSR4 units per FS.  Some of us have DC SSR4 units from other places.  Some of us are just strange.   ;D

The Lynx Express has advantages over the FreeStyle, and works better for many situations.  You have to decide on your particular situation.  I'd point a newbie to the LE, unless you have a specific reason otherwise.  Some of us do.   ;D  I have both.  No stupid questions.  There are multiple options here.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, »
Your question about advantage of using a freestyle vs ssr4 w/dmx or le is a personal choice is most instances.  I have five LE's and still  going to use a Freestyle to operated the tree.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, »
Thanks for the replies. My thought was to use SSR4s to 4 color my mini trees. That way I would not have to run as much cabling to do the job. I already have my order placed in the current coops for LEs and wireless. Thanks again! ;D