Author Topic: USB-RS485 Adapter  (Read 3020 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
USB-RS485 Adapter
« on: May 02, 2010, »
Hi,
I was wondering if I could use the USB-RS485 Adapter from LOR in my show? Or will I have to use something else? I will be using either Lynx Expresses or Renard ss 24's?

Heres the LOR website.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline ponddude

Re: USB-RS485 Adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, »
In order to use that you would need the iDMX as well.  The adapter goes to the iDMX and than to than to the Lynx equipment.  The LOR adapter does not put out a DMX signal.
Greg

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, »
The LOR dongle will drive your Renard gear - I used it last year for just that purpose as I had my LOR boxes and FreeStyle off a DMX dongle. One note - you have to swap the data pins around since Renard and LOR have different pinouts.

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, »
Some of the Aurora guys got a D-light Adapter to work with the Lynx controller. I'm sure it can be done with LOR I would assume. With the D-light adapter,  you  make a cat cable, but you switch 1&2 with 4&5.
Chris

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, »
Some of the Aurora guys got a D-light Adapter to work with the Lynx controller. I'm sure it can be done with LOR I would assume. With the D-light adapter,  you  make a cat cable, but you switch 1&2 with 4&5.

I wonder about this...  It is my understanding that the Enttec PRO/Lynx dongle off-load the constant streaming of the data to the controllers.  So it seems that it would be more than just a 485 interface.

This is just what I was told.  I have yet to try it out.   I am pretty sure they had DMX running from Aurora last season with this setup.
Chris

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, »
They may have changed the firmware on the D-Light controller, but Aurora never had DMX complimented.

Here is post from Aurora:

"You may have noticed that Aurora development and support has been struggling since we missed our deadline at the end of last year. This is to let you all know what is happening.

Last year was a very bad year sales wise. By the end of the year, we took a serious loss. We've done several cost cutting measures with the hope of recovering from last year's slump, but even with the savings we can't pay the bills at our current level of sales (Year-to-date we've only sold three copies of Aurora). A business that does not make money is really a hobby, not a business. As a result, I have needed to timeshare the unprofitable Aurora development time with other projects. Combined with a couple development plan detours (like the installer), we've been unable to provide the level of product updates and support that we were once known for.

As a result, I am making the 1.x version of Aurora a freeware product. Updates will continue to be done, but on a hobby basis instead of a commercial product basis.

DMX:
The ultimate goal is to make Aurora DMX compatible in as short of time as possible under the circumstances. Hardware vendors (D-Light and LOR) are taking steps to make their products DMX compatible instead of using just their own proprietary protocols. As a result, the obstacle that once existed regarging multiprotocol support in Aurora is largely diminishing on its own. Version 1.1 of Aurora will fix copy/paste and a handful of other issues. Version 1.1 will be the last version of Aurora 1.x to support the D-Light and LOR protocols. Starting with version 1.2, Aurora will become a DMX only product. This greatly simplifies the continued development and support of Aurora into the DMX era. Support for the proprietary protocols will not return until version 2.

Version 2:
The future of version 2 remains uncertain. If the high end Christmas display market turns around, then development on 2.x may resume. If so, version 2.0 will be a commercial product just as 1.0 was.

The key to unlock Aurora 1.x as freeware is:
HHUCWV82DY "
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, »
You are correct in that the Entec DMX pro and Lynx Dongle both offload the DMX generation from the control computer. One of the many problems with windows is that it is not a real time system. As a result, from time to time there will be a glitch in the DMX output stream. Most DMX devices do not tolerate a glitch in the stream very well and can behave erratically as a result. The Lynx dongle and Entec pro have a microcontroller and are programmed to generate a continuous DMX stream. Data from the PC is stored in memory as it is received. A timing glitch from the PC will not affect the DMX output.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA