Author Topic: Explain the differences of new and old RX please  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Blackbeard

In the original wireless stuff, there was a TX, an EX/RX, and a standalone RX. Now there seems to be a TX/RX and a EX/RX.

The original TX was the main transmitter, the original EX/RX was a receiver for the Lynx boards, and the standalone RX was for everything else.

In the wiki, there is a mod for the EX/RX to adapt this board to other things through a 485 chip. Does this mean the standalone RX has now disappeared and being replaced?

Which board would I now use to get wireless DMX to something I design myself?

Thanks and sorry for my constant state of confusion.

steve

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: Explain the differences of new and old RX please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, »
Actually, the separate Transmitter, and Receiver have been combined into one unit. Depending on whether you want it to transmit or receive you will jumper it to be one or the other.  If you go to this thread

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and look at the picture in the first post, on the left hand side of the picture just above the 2 capacitors, you see a 3 hole box with the words TX and RX. That is the jumper that would change depending on if you wanted a Transmitter or a Receiver.

As far as what to use for your own design, I have no idea, but as long as it's DMX, I think you would need one transmitter and one receiver.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, »
From a RX point of view, the main difference is that the new TX/RX (like the old RX) was designed to be a separate unit, in its own box with a wall-wart power supply, and provides standard DMX (RS485) for its output.  The EX/RX (either version - the main difference is that the new one will have some LEDs for troubleshooting) is designed to mount inside some other device's case, and requires a regulated 5V source to operate, and provides TTL single-ended data for your micro.  For my own projects, I would go with the EX/RX.
/mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, »
You are correct, the standalone RX has become a thing of the past.  The new TX / Rx has replaced it and has done so with a greater range, lower cost, and is easier to build.  If you were intending to use the standalone RX unit to send the DMX signal to your device, then you can use the new unit just as easily.  Just set its jumper to receive mode and you are good to go. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving