Author Topic: New to DMX and USB DMX software  (Read 7067 times)

Offline foxtrot7

New to DMX and USB DMX software
« on: November 19, 2011, »
Hello.  I am just starting out learning DMX...I mean JUST starting out and a bit clueless.  I want to learn DMX and dont want to waste a lot of money as I learn.  I purchased the Enttec Open USB controller and now I'm at a loss for which software to use.  I downloaded Freestyler, but havent a clue how to use it.  Any suggections on how I can start slow and learn this stuff?  At this point, I really only want it to develop small shows using lasers.  I'll take on more as my comfort level grows.  Thanks for any help offered.

F7

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Re: New to DMX and USB DMX software
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, »
Well most of us use the dmx dongle You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which is around 60.00 dollars to build is similar to the enttec dmx pro device. And most of us use vixen You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as a starting point for the software.

Offline foxtrot7

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, »
thanks for the links!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, »
Heres a dongle for sale, but you better hurry up if you want it. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just pm the guy if you want it.

Offline foxtrot7

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, »
Thanks...I have the controller...but need lots of help with software and getting started.  I'm usually pretty good about figuring out software, but i cant seem to get this stuff.  I cant even seem to get one laser to wake up.  I think my problem is getting the fixure identified correctly.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, »
Well there's a reason why we don't use a open dmx device.  Heres a link to a question about the open dmx when i first got started. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Heres a link saying why the dmx pro is better. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Way i understand it, people has had a lot of problems with the open dmx in what we do.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Way i understand it, people has had a lot of problems with the open dmx in what we do.

I think it isn't so much "problems" with the ENTTEC Open type DMX dongle. It's more like trying to do 90 mph in a Ford Fiesta compared to doing 90 mph in a Camaro. Everything just has to work harder.

I have had nothing but positive use of my ENTTEC Open (while I waited for LOR S3 to finally support the Lynx dongle).

Offline foxtrot7

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, »
Thanks everyone!!!  This is good stuff...hearing from those that know.  I made huge strides tonigh just by f'in around with things.  Your posts and the links attached may have already confirmed something for me.  The OPEN does seem to have a bit of a timing issue.  Put that together with a low priced laser from China and...well, lets just say I'm not headed for precision work.  I realize a bunch of this could be me though.  Next, I think I'll post a question about finding well-priced lasers from companies to trust.  Thanks again!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, »
Yea i have a laser from china also. It has 4 lasers to it. The dmx doesn't seem to work at all. I just use it in the music mode when i want it to run.

Might wanna use a dmx tester such as this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to test the open dmx for signal output.

Offline foxtrot7

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, »
Thanks...I'll check it out.  Definitely be handy to have.  I also want to get a laser power output meter. 

I have another laser coming from China which is supposed to be one of their higher end products (if there is such a thing).  I should mention...I just dont know enough about where and who to buy these lasers from, so in their defence: I'm sure there are plenty of quality products out there; I just havent found them yet.  Any suggestions?

I also want to add to my original post by saying I'm slowly getting this figured out.  I've been able to get the laser to respond through DMX OPEN; my problem was getting the fixture built in my library.  Now I'm trying to learn how to assign scenes..then put them to a score.  The Freestyler software seems a bit limiting for doing this.  I probably just need to skip the budget route and pony up the $500 for decent software.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, »
Does the laser use an XLR connector? And are you using a Cat5 converter?

If so, try swapping the two data wires.

Sent from my DROIDX

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, »
Does the laser use an XLR connector? And are you using a Cat5 converter?

If so, try swapping the two data wires.

Sent from my DROIDX
Hes using a enttec dmx open device, which has xlr connectors on it, and the lasers have xlrs on them. So theres no adapter required.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, »
He might want to switch to a Lynx or Entec Pro dongle as both are smart dongles and work much better at putting out DMX packets.

Hes using a enttec dmx open device, which has xlr connectors on it, and the lasers have xlrs on them. So theres no adapter required.
Jeff Squires