Author Topic: Aurora is now free!!  (Read 1722 times)

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
Aurora is now free!!
« on: May 12, 2010, »
Well, mostly. Per the notification of earlier today:

You may have noticed that Aurora development and support has been struggling since we missed our deadline at the end of last year. This is to let you all know what is happening.

Last year was a very bad year sales wise. By the end of the year, we took a serious loss. We've done several cost cutting measures with the hope of recovering from last year's slump, but even with the savings we can't pay the bills at our current level of sales (Year-to-date we've only sold three copies of Aurora). A business that does not make money is really a hobby, not a business. As a result, I have needed to timeshare the unprofitable Aurora development time with other projects. Combined with a couple development plan detours (like the installer), we've been unable to provide the level of product updates and support that we were once known for.

As a result, I am making the 1.x version of Aurora a freeware product. Updates will continue to be done, but on a hobby basis instead of a commercial product basis.

DMX:
The ultimate goal is to make Aurora DMX compatible in as short of time as possible under the circumstances. Hardware vendors (D-Light and LOR) are taking steps to make their products DMX compatible instead of using just their own proprietary protocols. As a result, the obstacle that once existed regarging multiprotocol support in Aurora is largely diminishing on its own. Version 1.1 of Aurora will fix copy/paste and a handful of other issues. Version 1.1 will be the last version of Aurora 1.x to support the D-Light and LOR protocols. Starting with version 1.2, Aurora will become a DMX only product. This greatly simplifies the continued development and support of Aurora into the DMX era. Support for the proprietary protocols will not return until version 2.

Version 2:
The future of version 2 remains uncertain. If the high end Christmas display market turns around, then development on 2.x may resume. If so, version 2.0 will be a commercial product just as 1.0 was.

The key to unlock Aurora 1.x as freeware is:
HHUCWV82DY
Chris

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
Re: Aurora is now free!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...vendors (...) are taking steps to make their products DMX compatible instead of using just their own proprietary protocols....

...will become a DMX only product. This greatly simplifies the continued development and support of Aurora into the DMX era...  [emphasis mine]

So glad that two years ago I blindly stumbled into the DLA era!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, »
The biggest issue with the DIY community is that there are a lot of people who believe that software should be free and will refuse at just about any cost to actually go and buy software even though they will spend large amounts on their lights and controllers.
As we make the shift from the traditional lighting forms to the new style of RGB and pixel based lighting, the more complex the software requirements become to allow us to sequence this hardware. People are starting to demand RGB tools, Matrix's tools and to be able to control and sequence over 1000 channels quickly and easily. To develop that level of software it takes a lot more time, effort and resources to develop and beta test and I wonder if poor KC will be up to it.(his efforts up to now have been sensational & appreciated by all)
So in the future i would be surprised if the level of free software will be able to keep up with the features of purchased software and the signs are already here with LSP 1.7 to be released very soon (KC may prove me wrong here) and then you will have to decide on what value you put on your time.
Only my opinion

Regards

Eddie

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, »
This will definitely stir up the free software sequencing world a little bit.  Been using Aurora for 2 years now and really like it.   Looking forward to getting seeing how the DMX version works out.   
Chris

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, »
I totally agree that software is the limiting factor now-adays. The true tricky part seems to be writing software that will allow for "smart" programming, in a reasonable time frame. While all the software out right now is super nice, i really don't want my house to just be a winamp visualization. I am not sure where the right balance is between ease of use and smart sequencing but whoever figures it out will make lots of money.
Boucher Family Lights

Offline jsalz

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, »
me anyway i spend all my money on hardware i can pay for the software

that being said

i make software but i make it freeware with code but take donations (i nick named it sodaware as i am under 21)  <la..

light show pro

that $99 that to me is to much money when there things like vixon i would pay 25-50 but $100 is just to much

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, »
..., i really don't want my house to just be a winamp visualization....
[emphasis mine]

Here here!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, »
RJ isn't in the business.  He does this as his hobby and shares it with the rest of us.  He does run things like a business to keep things on track and in line and while he does it so well that it appears to be a full fledged business, he is not doing it for profit.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, »
RJ isn't in the business.  He does this as his hobby and shares it with the rest of us.  He does run things like a business to keep things on track and in line and while he does it so well that it appears to be a full fledged business, he is not doing it for profit.

Not only is developing boards and software a hobby for RJ, but you are prohibited from using the products in a commercial environment.  You agreed to that when you signed up for this website.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA