Author Topic: pic kit 3 will it work  (Read 5201 times)

Offline jsalz

pic kit 3 will it work
« on: May 29, 2010, »
Would this work for programing the unit 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline austindave

Re: pic kit 3 will it work
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, »
Yup. Sure will. Check out the Wiki, where detailed instructions are provided for programming with the PicKit 3:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Also see the bare bones programmer interface for the dongle PIC:

You'll need something like the breadboard interface or a 3rd-party interface to connect the PICKit to the actual PIC device (folks reference their favorite ones in various places on the boards - it seems they usually get them from vendors on ebay). But if you're cheap (like I am), the breadboard interface works fine.

Good luck!
--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, »
Do these instructions and the barebones interface work for the PICKit 2 as well?

Alan T

Offline austindave

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, »
Hi Alan,

The barebones interface will work the same for PICKit 2, but the instructions will be a little different (in particular, I think the power control is different for the PICKit 2). I'm sorry to say that I only have the 3, so can't provide specific details on the procedural differences between the two. I think the procedure will be mostly the same, but as I said, I'm not sure about the power control.

--Dave

Offline jsalz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, »
would this work You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

it looks like the bare bones programmer interface is there only $16 and works with pickit 2

i love cheap

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, »
Hi Alan,

The barebones interface will work the same for PICKit 2, but the instructions will be a little different (in particular, I think the power control is different for the PICKit 2). I'm sorry to say that I only have the 3, so can't provide specific details on the procedural differences between the two. I think the procedure will be mostly the same, but as I said, I'm not sure about the power control.

--Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I will take a stab at it.  Worse case I live in roughly the same area as one of the people listed in the Wiki for PIC programming and I'm sure he would be more than willing to help me get it figured out.

Thanks again.

Alan T

Offline austindave

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, »
would this work You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

it looks like the bare bones programmer interface is there only $16 and works with pickit 2

Hi jsalz,

Looking at the link you reference, I can't tell what you'd be getting - it looks like it wants to be a PICKit 2 replacement, not the barebones interface (though one of the photos does show a PIC device interface). If you're thinking about (only) that PIC device interface shown in the one photo, it does NOT appear to be directly compatible with the PICKit - since there are 10 interface wires shown, vs. the 6 provided on the PICKit.

A key point to consider, as well, is community support... If you get something different than what everyone else on the forum has, you'll be on your own in figuring it out, debugging it, and fixing any problems it might cause (including the software that may (?) come with it).

If you're really interested in this particular programmer, you should probably start a general thread asking "has anybody used ~ programmer?", asking if it works, whether they had any problems, can anyone help if you run into problems, etc... Anyone who has that programmer might not see your message buried in this "pic kit 3 will it work" thread.

For me, I stuck with the RJ / forum recommendation of PICKit (though most on the forum recommend 2 vs. the 3 version I got - but they're similar enough that most comments for one seem to apply to the other - and 3 will support future PIC versions whereas 2 is no longer supported).

So, I can't provide feedback on the particular unit you've asked about. I can only say that, for best results, you go with stuff people on the forum have actively recommended. From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like debugging problems with the DMX dongle is itself enough of a problem - tossing another variable like "is my PIC programmer working properly?" into the mix can only add (possibly massive) frustration.

Just my 2¢ worth.

--Dave

Offline jsalz

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, »
The pic kit 3 is cheaper then the pic kit 2

But that one Is even cheaper

What should I get

Offline austindave

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, »
My recommendation would be PICKit 3 (of course, I'm biased - that's what I got).

Others recommend the PICKit 2.

I went with the 3 because it will support upcoming parts, whereas the 2 is being discontinued (and won't be able to support future parts) - I wanted as much flexibility as possible. So far, for me, the 3 works fine.

I'd stick with one of those two - seems like (pretty much) everybody on the DIYLA forum has one of those, so lots of people (like me) can & will provide assistance. If you get something else, the people who will have knowledge of it will be greatly reduced - so you'll probably be much more on your own (and while I think DIY is good, DIABY - "Do It ALL By Yourself" can be a much larger challenge and may be too much for some).

Again, just my 2¢ worth.

Good luck.

--Dave

Offline jsalz

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, »
I will get the 3 when I get the money

Can I program the lynx express with it useing the pin header or do I need to remove the chip

Offline austindave

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, »
Can I program the lynx express with it useing the pin header or do I need to remove the chip

Yes, the PICKit 3 plugs straight into the LE header, allowing you to program the PIC without removing it from the board.

By the way, there's been plenty of discussion in this forum about which programmer to get... Here's one thread:

A search on (something like) "Which programmer" will return a bunch of discussion threads.

Hope this helps.

--Dave

Offline jsalz

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, »
I got the pic kit 3 and breadboard but what type of header do I need to connect the pic kit 3 to the breadboard

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, »
What breadboard did you get? A picture maybe? Is the first picture what you are looking for? If you need that header, I've got extra's, I could send you one. PM me your address.

The second picture is adapters I got off ebay from J1sys, the 28 pin was $9.95, and the 18/20 pin was $8.95. Both worked flawlessly for me.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, by bisquit476 »

Offline austindave

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, »
Hey jsalz,

The header I used for the breadboard is similar to the one bisquit476 shows in his first photo. I bent the pins over a bit to allow the PICKit 3 to attach at an angle (just to make it a little easier to see what's going on). But any pins with fixed .1" spacing should be fine. I got the header at my local Fry's (but Radio Shack might have them too).

--Dave
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, by austindave »

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, »
I choose the PICKIT 3 for the same reasons, I have both breadboard and the ebay adapters.  I haven't used the breadboard yet because the adapters were sooooo simple. 

And that is worth about .2 cents.
R,
Tony "C"