Author Topic: My Spiral Tree  (Read 13861 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
My Spiral Tree
« on: May 31, 2010, »
First it is a half version of the "weberchristmas" spiral tree.   I give the idea credits to him.  This is how I made my 1/2 version.

My base is 6 foot and it is 16 feet high.  It will be 16 channel one color (multi).  It will have 16 strands of 100  Walmart mini's.  I cut eight 2x4's 30" long with a 22.5 degree angle to make the octagon.   The 30" cuts are measured 30" on the outside (not on the inside) to make the base right at 6 foot.  I used a nail gun and toe-nailed the octagon together.   I then used 2x4's to sturdy up the base as you can see in the pictures.  I placed the 2x4's so the center of the board was centered over the cuts.  This way I could shoot a couple of nails on each side of the cut spaces in the octagon.   If I had it to do again I would have used 1x4's to sturdy up the base.  I used a metal threaded plate in the center and used PVC 1.5 inch SCH 40.  I have it guyed wired at 8 foot using 4 wires.  Then at the top I have 16 white braided nylon ropes.  It is 8 ropes and each one goes up and down.  I used 12 turnbuckles from Lowes @ $1.18 each to tighten up the 4 wires in the center and one on each 8 ropes from the top.  I made it like this so I could turn it on its side and wrap the lights around it.  This way the highest part to reach is only 6 foot high.  With the tree guyed in the center and then with the ropes on the top I put it on its side.  I stuck a 1/2 metal conduit pipe down into the top and braced it on a sawhorse.  It sagged a TINY bit while on its side.  But it will not effect putting the lights on at all.  I did not wrap the lights as I plan to do that EARLY November (or sooner).

Help here... His picture diagram looks like 1.5 turns.  Watching the videos it looks like 1.75 to 2 times around.  At the Norman Oklahoma mini it was said it was 2.5 or 3.  Anyone know?  Can you help here Mr. Weber?

The Weber tree info said he used metal wire and nylon tie wraps to hold the lights on.  He said they slid down in the winter weather.  I used the braided nylon rope because I am going to use large safety pins to hold the lights to the rope and won't have to worry about them slipping down.  I got the safety pins at Dollar General for $1.75 a package of 55.  They seem to be large and stout and I think they will hold the wires in place around the spiral tree just fine.  I put a couple of pins on the ropes.  I tugged pretty hard and the stayed closed.  I simply picked up one side of the octagon and stood the tree on its side.

After I finished the tree as you see in the pictures, I loosened the turnbuckles and took the tree apart.  I tied the two 8 foot masts and all the ropes in place.  Put it in my shed on its side against the wall.  It does not take up much space.  Only about 1 foot by 6 foot floor space along the wall. It took about 20-30 minutes to break it down.  I am guessing it will take about 45 minutes to have it back up and ready to put the lights on.

Weber is where I got the idea from.  I am just sharing me half version construction.

Again the best part of this tree is I can put the lights on it while it is on its side.  Just a 6 foot reach!

Oh yea...  eight 30 inch sides and needing 16 even spaces = one eyelet every 15 inches right?  NOPE!  Looked good on paper but I forgot about the angles.  Not being a whiz at geometry, I did figure out the eyelets need to be placed every 14 3/16th inches apart.  I measured in 5 inches from each joint (left of the seam) for my mark (can't use the corners as that is where the two boards meet) and then 14 3/16th to the right of that eyelet.  I did this all the way around 5" to the left of the seam "screwed in  an eyelet" and then measured 14 3/16ths to the right for my mark for the other eyelet.  When I was done I measured the spacing and all eyelets measured 14 3/16 from center to center of each eyelet.  The 2x4 is on its side making the octagon and we know it really measures 1 1/2".  I split it and the eyelets are 3/4 centered on the 2x4's.

It cost about $75 to build it.  The rope was the most expensive part at about $25 for 3 packages of 100 foot.  Everything was bought at Lowes except the lights and safety pins.  

Ron

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: My Spiral Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, »
I Like it GREAT JOB and thank you for sharing.

JEFF
Jeff

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, »
Wow Trekster - Nice work!  <res.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline BryanV

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, »
when can we see it in action.  I've been thinking of changing my Mega Tree  (32 channels  10,000 lights) to free up some channels.

Bryan

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, »
I have to agree, looks good and some excellent ideas using rope vice wire to secure the strings on the way up.   

Perhaps cable clamps would make the guy wires more secure than the turns.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, »
Very Nice setup. Thanks for sharing it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, »
I like it!

The semi-permanent spirit level attachment is a nice touch too  :D

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, »
This is spreadsheet that another PC member and myself put together to figure out the string length along with other information required for different sizes of spiral trees. 

Finding an equation to calculate a spiral on a conical helix is not as simple as I first figured, but eventually did get one that was confirmed by college professor of mine.  It should be good...LOL   As a CYA ,  use it as a rough estimate as it has not been 100% proven yet.  Give yourself a extra foot of lights or so for installation.  Start your lights from the top down so any extra is at the bottom of the tree.

Chris

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, »
Thank you chrisl1976.  Looks like I will be using 1.5 turns.  That is a very useful tool for someone making a spiral tree.  Again thanks.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, »
This is spreadsheet that another PC member and myself put together to figure out the string length along with other information required for different sizes of spiral trees. 

Finding an equation to calculate a spiral on a conical helix is not as simple as I first figured, but eventually did get one that was confirmed by college professor of mine.  It should be good...LOL   As a CYA ,  use it as a rough estimate as it has not been 100% proven yet.  Give yourself a extra foot of lights or so for installation.  Start your lights from the top down so any extra is at the bottom of the tree.

Excellent Excel work and thank you <res.

Bet that took a little time to set up, but I am glad you did

Tim
 ;D
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, »
Hi Trekster, can you tell me what the top cap where the rope is connected to on the pole is called as well as the metal ring you have in between the two couplings.
Sebastian from California

Offline rwave

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, »
Trekster,

VERY impressive!  Wouldn't have seen this without sebjsan's "bump".

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, »
I just bought the parts yesterday. Hoping to build two trees this weekend :)

Offline rwave

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, »
Sebjsan,

I just bought the parts yesterday. Hoping to build two trees this weekend :)

So, what were those metal parts called, or when did you find them?

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, »
I have everything else bought except the two items.