Author Topic: Copy and Paste between 2 different Vixens running at the same time?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
I have several sequences done.  My friend has none.  We do have different setups.  But we both have 2 arches and mega trees.  I was wanting to open my sequences and copy and paste into his.  Vixen will only let you paste into another sequence running within one Vixen program.

When we tried to open my sequences in his Vixen we got only a blank screen.  I could get the song.  I tried to open or attach it to my profile but no luck.

So....  What is the trick to get info from one guys work into another persons sequence?

We were running the same version.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Ron,
Does your friend have a profile setup?
Did you set up the adjustable preview on your friends PC?
Are you both using the same version of Vixen?

I move sequences between computers all the time. Just make sure you copy the sequences to the sequence folder and your profile to the profile folder.

Hope that helps.

John

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
OK... I did not copy the sequence to the sequence folder.  I just browsed to another folder location to open the other sequence.

So I just need to place the sequence into the sequence folder to be able to open it?  The other guy does have the adjustable preview and a profile set up.

Ron

???

My 2010 Videos

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Ron,
You should be able to browse to a different folder to open the sequence. I have never done it, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.
Does the sequence work on your friends computer if you use your profile but not if you assign his profile to the sequence? If so, then we know there is a problem with his profile.
Also, does he have a picture set up in his adjustable preview? Is the adjustable preview checkbox checked in the plugin setup?
If he starts a new sequence, can he get anything on the screen?
Some things to check.
Wish I could be more help.

John

Offline tbone321

I doubt that it is an issue with the folders.  I appears to be a profile issue.  As I understand it, he wants to open up two sequences and cut sections out of one and paste it into another with each sequence beingcreated under different user profiles.  I think that the problem is that Vixen may have an issue opening up more than one sequence under different user profiles at the same time. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin

The way I have copied sequences is to open a new event sequence, save it and close it. Click on the Tools menu and go to "Copy event sequence data"  to map all channels from an existing sequence to the new sequence. You have to make sure that the sequences are the same length and that the event period length is the same. Saves a bunch of time when you are copying a lot of channels.
I just did a test by opening an existing sequence with 1 profile and copying and pasting to a new sequence with a different profile and it worked. I am using v 2.1.4.0
I am pretty sure there is a profile problem.

John

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
This should work, except the 2 different vixens?  not sure why you are opening 2 Vixens.  Open Vixen once and then open each sequence you need to work with.

Just open vixen once (do not play with the profiles) until you are done copying or play with the profiles then copy .. not both in the same vixen opening. Vixen does have issue with playing with the profiles and running the sequence, although you can don't flip profiles around a whole lot without restarting vixen. 

If you play with the profile then attach a sequence to it You may have issues. Just close the sequence and then open it again 

folders don't matter!  In fact you can open them from different network drives,

there are several ways to copy as mentioned so experiment a little.   

hope this helps!
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I agree with Bill, Open vixen once and then open two different sequences.  I use the right click and copy channel function to copy channels from one sequence to another, i.e., form a download sequence that  uses the same number of channels for their arches that I have, but my channel layout is completely different.  Worked great.  It helps that I use a two screen desktop and could make the Vixen window cover both screens and then put each sequence on a separate screen.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

I guess the real question is can you open two sequences created under different profiles at the same time and what happens if you don't have one of those profiles on your system or that the second profile was created on a different machine.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
I have a profile and he has a profile.  I have a sequence and he has a blank sequence (not started yet).  I open his blank sequence and then open my sequence and it shows up blank also but is is not really blank.  It is complete?

I open two (2) separate Vixens.  One with his profile and sequence and the other Vixen has my sequence.  My sequence now shows up correctly.  I copy in my vixen and then click on the other running copy of vixen and paste.  Nothing happens.

The above probably sounds confusing.    <fp.

I have a profile set up and several sequences done so far. (my first year with controlled blinky).  I have found many sequences on the web others have done.  About 95% open blank.  A few have opened (3 so far) and I have been able to use some parts of these sequences in my sequences.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
Month later and still does not work.  I have 2 folders on my computer.

1 MINE with sequences built to my profile (drive d)
2 HIS with sequences built with his profile (Drive e)

BOTH versions are 2.1.4.0

I have a shortcut to both on my desktop (different names of course)

I can open my sequences and play them.  I see my house and the lights blink like they are supposed to.  I HAVE A PROFILE

I can open his sequences and I see his house and the lights blink like they are supposed to.  HE HAS A PROFILE

Now the trick is to get one of my sequences to open in his Vixen.  I have tried the copy seq event data with and with out boxes checked.  I have tried copy data.  I have tried export and then import.  Nothing seems to work.  I have tried to create a sequence with my song so it it the exact length and saving it.  Then trying to copy seq event data.  Best I have been able to do is get the music and a BLANK data area.  I do not even get rows and columns after the data seq copy?  

I am just trying to help my friend with some sequences.  It would be easy to whiz through a few using the copy and paste.  Then going back to patch up the differences.

If someone that has done this before wants to help out 2 guys on there first year of blinky flashy get this figured out I would appreciate it.  PM me your email and I will attach the 2 profiles, one done sequence and the MP3.  I guess that is all you would need right?

Can you open this sequence?

Ron  <yk..

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
Thanks to Bill (bisquit476) I got it done.  All I had to do is put both profiles into the profile folder in one Vixen and I can open mine and his perfectly.

Bill,  "You The Man"

Thank You

Ron
My 2010 Videos