Author Topic: *******CLOSED****Lynx Aether Co-Op*************  (Read 47434 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: *******CLOSED****Lynx Aether Co-Op*************
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2010, »
Here is the other sheet rewritten in a hurry.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline BigGunFish

« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2010, »
Thank you for the dedication and hard work to get this light out this year. It will really make a difference in the light shows.
I received my box today! looking forward to the assembly.

Many Thanks,

Stephen

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2010, »
As happy as I am about the kits being shipped out, I'm kind of bummed that the PIC chips still have to be programmed, since I don't have a PIC programmer. Now I have to drive an hour to go to someone's place to get it done. It would be nice if the PIC chip was soldered in using the through-hole technique, from what I understand like the way LEDs and connectors for the PIC programmer are installed. If you have some through hole stuff to install anyways, why not the PIC chip as well so it could have been pre-programmed?

Or am I missing something here?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2010, »
The box arrived 10 minutes after I posted the last message.  Now off to Wally World to get the griddle.  Thanks again  <la...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2010, »
As happy as I am about the kits being shipped out, I'm kind of bummed that the PIC chips still have to be programmed, since I don't have a PIC programmer. Now I have to drive an hour to go to someone's place to get it done. It would be nice if the PIC chip was soldered in using the through-hole technique, from what I understand like the way LEDs and connectors for the PIC programmer are installed. If you have some through hole stuff to install anyways, why not the PIC chip as well so it could have been pre-programmed?

To keep costs low and other reasons a surface mount pic was used since this was the first attempt at a surface mount kit.  Since the Pic's are SMD's it did not make possible the ability to pre-program them.

I would strongly suggest to anyone the uses a controller or other products that use Pic's to obtain a pic programmer, they can be obtained between $30.00 ~ $40.00.  You never know when you might need to re-program a pic to get a dead controller in your show backup and running again.

Bill

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2010, »
Were all in the same boat Gary but think of the experience we'll get doing some new stuff like SMD. I personally can't wait for the challenge. This is not the first time I've got a lesson from RJ and with any luck and the good lords blessing, it won't be the last.

PS - I'd seriously take this opportunity like Bill said and get a programmer. That in and of itself is another challenge/ learning opportunity.   Take it ALL in my friend.  It's a gift.   :)
Leon

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2010, »
I'm excited about doing the surface mount stuff, but the timeframe is tight for me to assemble 6 Aethers after going to my brother's place in the U.S. and stay there for 48 hours to pick the kits up to legally avoid paying duties and taxes (hopefully this upcoming weekend), and other stuff going on at work keeping me busy, I'm going crazy here.

I didn't really consider getting a PIC programmer in the past because I didn't think that I'd need one, since this is a DIY web site without the need for special tools other than a soldering iron. I guess everybody has a definition of what a "special tool" is, depending on what you do for a living. I guess a mechanic wouldn't consider a steering wheel puller a special tool. But I sure don't have one.

P.S. Any Canadians here who had stuff shipped to them in Canada directly? Ever deal with duties, taxes, brokerage fees, and all that BS... or is it not as bad as it used to be? I'd like to know for future reference and future orders, because a hassle-free shipment to my place in Canada would have been sweet for my Aether order.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, by Gary »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2010, »

I believe you knew many many months ago that you needed one. your post starts halfway down the page.

I also believe everyone was told up front over and over that the parts had long lead times and this coop could run long.

I wish all it cost me was $40 to develop them for everyone. Try $1600, Thats over $300 for each set of proto pcbs and parts although I did end up with one useable Aether when I was done. But then I still end up paying the same price for the 7 I ordered on the coop as you.

The $40 pic programmer and other little issues would look pretty good to me in comparison.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2010, »
Here is an updated copy of the Aether Parts Legend.

You will be missing one 1.0K resistor from the kit.  But this is not a show stopper, the 1.0K is used in two places on the PCB one for the Green Led the Other for the Mosfet that controls the optional fan.  If you are not going to use the optional Fan you are OK, if you are going to use the Fan you will need to get another 1.0K resistor.

The 1.0K that is tied to the fan Mosfet is the R3 that is to the right of the Pic chip next to the Mosfet.  The one that works with the green LED is the R3 that is next to the spot for the green LED.  The kits were only charged for one 1.0K resistor not two.

Bill

Bump

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, by wbuehler »

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2010, »
P.S. Any Canadians here who had stuff shipped to them in Canada directly? Ever deal with duties, taxes, brokerage fees, and all that BS... or is it not as bad as it used to be? I'd like to know for future reference and future orders, because a hassle-free shipment to my place in Canada would have been sweet for my Aether order.

For parts both Mouser and Digikey ship direct to Canada with no duty or brokerage fees. Digikey charges $8.00 for shipping and Mouser doesn't charge anything for orders over $200.00...

I have had several DIY kits shipped (LE's, Aeon, Dongle PCBs) via US postal service and never had to deal with duty or anything...  Same with various orders direct from some US  diy members, again shipped via the US postal shipping boxes rather than via a courier... 

Mind you it takes a bit longer as my Aethers have yet to show up across the line......

Bob
zappedmyself.com

Offline batdive

« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2010, »
Here is an updated copy of the Aether Parts Legend.

You will be missing one 1.0K resistor from the kit.  But this is not a show stopper, the 1.0K is used in two places on the PCB one for the Green Led the Other for the Mosfet that controls the optional fan.  If you are not going to use the optional Fan you are OK, if you are going to use the Fan you will need to get another 1.0K resistor.

The 1.0K that is tied to the fan Mosfet is the R3 that is to the right of the Pic chip next to the Mosfet.  The one that works with the green LED is the R3 that is next to the spot for the green LED.  The kits were only charged for one 1.0K resistor not two.

Bill

Awesome Bill thanks didn't want to cook it until I knew.  Any chance to get this thrown up on the WIKI to  make it easy to grab?

-JS

Edit:  Bill can you throw on the R7? (its missing from the list) R7 - 3.9 Ohms 5%.

Time to start cooking...woohoo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, by batdive »

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2010, »
Added the R7 sorry for missing it.

Offline batdive

« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2010, »
Added the R7 sorry for missing it.

Awesome work btw Bill on this and all the very "large" coops you have undertaken this year.  Thank you and bet with all the boxes that have come and gone from your house you have felt like you have moved a couple times? LOL.

-JS

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2010, »
Got to work today after a couple days off and my Aether kit was sitting on my desk. I opened it up and looked in the bags and immediately ordered a more powerful set of cheaters. Maybe I should get a jewelers loupe. I hope I don't sneeze during assembly.
 I don't know if I will get this integrated in to my display this year, but I look forward to using it.
Thanks to RJ for his design and thanks to Bill for doing the coop.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline egenoup

« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2010, »
Bill,

Thanks for running this COOP.  I have received my box of stuff.  Excellent job in running and keeping us up-to-date on the progress.  Thanks to RJ for designing this device for all of our enjoyment!
 <res.  <wd.. <md..

Egenoup