Author Topic: Lynx Express Problem  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Lynx Express Problem
« on: July 14, 2010, »
First I test all my sequences live using the equipment for my show.  I have 10 LE's connected on the floor of my work room.  This is my first year using the Lynx equipment so I want to know how well it will perform.

My setup this year will be using the LOR Sx? software with a IDMX1000. there is a reason this configuration was chosen.

I will have possibly a total of 760 channels this year.

OK on to the problem.

One of my LE controllers is not acting just right.  The problem is on powering up the controllers, all controllers are on one 120vac powers strip. Only have a few LED strings attached for testing purposes, but not to the questionable controller. Controller #3.

Termination of DMX is correct with only the DMX Term. resistor used on the 10th controller.

When powering up the controllers, all looks good, all stay in sync going through the power up.

Playing a sequence and controller #3 shows no channels being turned on, all the rest of the controller before and after #3 work just fine.

If I push the reset button on #3 the unit does the power up test and them functions just fine. I can leave the controllers on for a week and #3 keep working as it should.

All solder joints, IC insertions and component values and locations been verified.

I am concerned that #3 will not function correctly in the display if there is a power failure and restarts.  What should be done next to fine the problem?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Lynx Express Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Have you tried swapping out parts between #3 and a working unit?  If not, you might wish to start with the pic.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, »
I agree with Keith. This is a interesting issue that I have not seen before. I would say the pic chip swap is the fastest test to tell us much. The Rs485 chip would be next but it does not get a power reset from the reset button so I would start with the pic.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree with Keith. This is a interesting issue that I have not seen before. I would say the pic chip swap is the fastest test to tell us much. The Rs485 chip would be next but it does not get a power reset from the reset button so I would start with the pic.

RJ

OK PIC chip will be swapped tomorrow.  Will probably be a couple of days to verify.

Like I said the controllers (7) after #3 work just fine. Do not think the 485 chip would be the problem, but what about the 485 chip on #2?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, »
Rs485 chips do not have the dmx passing throught them to the next unit. They tap into the dmx line and convert it for the pic. So the one ahead of it, other than shorting out the dmx line, should not be it. But anything is possible I guess.

RJ

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, »
On my last build I had one that had a 485 chip not seated completely and the unit would boot but had some goofy LED combination on.  I forget now which ones.  I pulled and reset it and everything worked.  I guess I should have noted exactly what it did.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, »
Did not take long to confirm where the problem is. 

It followed the PIC chip.

I do have a programmer (PIC 2 with all the cables and sockets) but have not used it yet.

What should be my next step?

Verify it is programmed correctly?

Will need some assistance on this one.

Dennis

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, »
Hi Dennis,

just reprogram the PIC with the latest firmware located at the WIKI site.  That should do the trick.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, »
Hi Dennis,

just reprogram the PIC with the latest firmware located at the WIKI site.  That should do the trick.

Thanks CC:

That so far seems to fix it. Got to test it some more to make sure.

UPDATE:

After turning the power off and on several times (minimum 15 minutes between power on's) The PIC is still not reliable.  Press the reset button and then it will accept data.

RJ: Do you want me to send this PIC back to you for evaluation?

Dennis
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, »
Dennis,

Just replace the chip. Lineman on here has the same PIC in a EX/RX that showed good, would program and verify, but when it was installed in the EX/RX wouldn't work, we replaced it and the receiver worked fine. Still don't know why the PIC won't work,

Bill

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, »
AS bisqiuck has stated I do have the same pic and a pic it 2 bill and myself have erased and reflashed , verifyed this pic it verifys good but does not work not sure why mabey some of the seniors will make sense of this.
Jeff

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, »
Hi Dennis,

just reprogram the PIC with the latest firmware located at the WIKI site.  That should do the trick.

Thanks CC:

That so far seems to fix it. Got to test it some more to make sure.

UPDATE:

After turning the power off and on several times (minimum 15 minutes between power on's) The PIC is still not reliable.  Press the reset button and then it will accept data.

RJ: Do you want me to send this PIC back to you for evaluation?

Dennis

No you dont need to send it to me but pm me you address and remind me you need a pic. I can send a pre programmed one to you.

RJ

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, »
You may want to note the date code on the chip on the off chance there is a problem with other chips. It's not common but can happen that there is a bad batch from time to time.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, »
You may want to note the date code on the chip on the off chance there is a problem with other chips. It's not common but can happen that there is a bad batch from time to time.

Yes, I have seen that in some of my past lives.  Back in the 70's I caught a major Motorola op-amp predictable failure.

Do not think this is going to be a batch problem. Just a normal failure of a part.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, »
RJ:

Received the new PIC today, will have to pull out the LE and test it.

Thanks

Also let me know the new resistor value for the DMX chip and will test that on the 4 chips I mentioned earlier in another post.