Author Topic: Freestyle Troubleshooting  (Read 2042 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Freestyle Troubleshooting
« on: July 17, 2010, »
Since some of you saw my programming question (I did get the proper app and installed it), I suppose you were wondering when the troubleshooting questions would come?  Now's the time!
I haven't measured the voltages yet and I'm probably premature in firing this off but, I'm a bit anxious so...

If I know my dongle is working (get blinky with Expresses) and my Cat5 connection to the Freestyle is stable, should I be able to count on the Programing Utility (thanks on the RJ) to program my Freestyle without an issue?  I did make sure the jumper was on program side (and changed it back to test) and waited more than 3 sec before terminating the programming.

Now this is probably a very obvious point but....If I connect a Cat5 cable from the jack at position 1 on the Freestyle to an SSR, Channel 1 output from a Vixen squence should get blinky on the first channel of the SSR, correct?  I just want to make sure  (kind of embarssed asking that).

I've checked all my solder joints, they look good.  What are the most common errors in putting the board together? Seeing the post before mine, I have checked all the positions of the IC's and they are good.   I have tried several SSR units with my Freestyle and no blinky so I assume my Freestyle isn't working well.

Now I see why RJ put all the indicator lights on the Express!  (BTW, my Expresses work very nicely!).

Thank you in advance,
Eric

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Freestyle Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, »
The most common issues were these :

Running the older firmware which on some pics would not program the address reliably.

Problem with solder joints missed or poor due to the high count of them.

H11AA1 chip (lower left above ac connection) not in correct direction or seated in well or missing solder joints.

If you get setup with teamspeak and pm me to setup a time I will help you troubleshoot it. Thats why we moved to teamspeak it is a much better communication media for assistance to our users.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, »
RJ,

Just wanted to say my issues have been resolved.  It was indeed the jumper!

A very big thank you for the time you spent with me.  This is why this site works/rocks...etc!

Eric

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, »
Glad it was not your Freestyle and that the fix was simple. Enjoy your blinky!  8)

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying