Author Topic: Help with ver 5 boards  (Read 1764 times)

Offline tombmatt

Help with ver 5 boards
« on: July 23, 2010, »
Have finishes building the 6 I bought in first coop. 4 of six power up and run first tests fine. I board has 3 and 5 volt leds lit up fine but does not do self test. the other board has power and does self test but it is real slow and I have one channel led lit up??? Where do I start???

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Help with ver 5 boards
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the other board has power and does self test but it is real slow and I have one channel led lit up??? Where do I start???

I had one do something similar to the what you mention above and one of the 485 chips was not seated firmly.  Once I pulled the chip and reseated it, everything worked normal.

Offline egenoup

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, »
The PIC chip has corrupted firmware.  You need to reprogram it with the current relaease or have someone reprogram it for you.  Hope this helps a bit.

<rtt..

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, »
Take the PIC chip from one that is working and put it in one that is not and vice versa. See if the problem follows the chip.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline austindave

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have finishes building the 6 I bought in first coop. 4 of six power up and run first tests fine. I board has 3 and 5 volt leds lit up fine but does not do self test. the other board has power and does self test but it is real slow and I have one channel led lit up??? Where do I start???

Hi tombmatt,
For the one that's really slow, as egenoup says, some of the PICs from the v5 coop had bad firmware. I ran into the same problem & wrote about it in this topic: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. So you'll need to reprogram the PIC (or get someone else to do it for you). Where are you located? Maybe there's someone nearby who can reprogram it for you.

As to the one that doesn't do the self-test, the first thing to do is to check that all the chips are installed properly (in the right direction, fully inserted in the sockets, no pins bent under them, etc). Next, carefully inspect your solder joints looking for solder bridges or bad solder connections. If you don't see anything obvious, the next step is to take some good photos & post them here, so others can take a look & see if they can see anything wrong.

Let us know what you find & we'll try to help however we can.

Good luck,
Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, »
Okay pulled the pic off the one that had no test found  a bent pin put it in the other board it worked fine. Put the other pic into the other board and it did the slow test and lit channel 6 like it did in the first board with a real slow test. I have a chinese pic programer and tried to load the new file but I get an voltage level error so I don't know if it is the board or the chip I have programed other chips with it with no problem. I did put the good chip in the board and got the same error. SO down to 1 of 6 not working.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, »
You can pm me to get my address and just send me the pic to reprogram and that way I can test it. If it is bad I will send you a new one.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, »
Okay wil pm you and then send in mail  Thanks