Author Topic: MR16 updated  (Read 4626 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
MR16 updated
« on: July 25, 2010, »
Made a few slight updates to the MR16 controller. It is now shown as the 16 channel DC Controller.

This is the small changes made.

1 - added mount holes for the standard heatsink used on the express and other Lynx items so 24v users do not have to hack a heat sink on the 5v regulator anymore.

2 - Marked it for 7 - 24v DC input so everyone will understand it is not limited to 12v

3 - Marked the jumper location with ovals for those not installing the mosfets to use it as a low current (Up to 100ma) constant current led driver instead of for high current stuff.

4 - Marked the resistor that controls the current in the constant current mode.

5 - renamed it to make it better understood what it does. (Not many people are still using MR16's that much)

A coop is starting for it.

Here is a pic of the changes.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: MR16 updated
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, »
Hi RJ

Looks good

Just a question:

I have not looked in a while but can we still get the cg-500 cases?

If there is still a limited supply of them then maybe change the hole locations to allow the use of a different case.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, »
RJ,

Can you post the BOM for the common voltages (7,12,24)

Harrison

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, »
RJ,

Harrison

It is all the same the voltage is driven by what voltage you put in to it.

The only part changes are adding a heatsink (already added to the BOM's) and if you run without the mosfets you need to change the current limiter resistor to the proper one for the current you are using. This will be documented in the manual shortly.

RJ

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, »
RJ,

Harrison

It is all the same the voltage is driven by what voltage you put in to it.

The only part changes are adding a heatsink (already added to the BOM's) and if you run without the mosfets you need to change the current limiter resistor to the proper one for the current you are using. This will be documented in the manual shortly.

RJ

AWSOME THX RJ

Harrison

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, »
Manual is updated.

RJ

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, »
Company called ppc-online.com had the CG500 case as of May 3, 2010, Betty Morrison 1-800-315-2253 can take the order, although (lineman) said there was a $100.00 min order, so we may need to do some kind of group buy? The price at that time (May) was $5.50 each, she had 1109 pieces.

Also, the BOM shows the 140-XRL25V100-RC capacitor, do we use the same cap used in other boards for a replacement?

The terminal ends listed are 1287's, Mouser also has a 1287-ST, they are called sturdi mount, they add a little extra support to the terminal.

And just in case some was going to use 2 of the controllers, here's a pic of what I did, using the CG-1500 LE case.

I like the addition of the heatsink RJ, as always your designs keep moving forward, thank you for the updates,

Bill

Offline tpctech

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, »
Made a few slight updates to the MR16 controller. It is now shown as the 16 channel DC Controller.

1 - added mount holes for the standard heatsink used on the express and other Lynx items so 24v users do not have to hack a heat sink on the 5v regulator anymore.

2 - Marked it for 7 - 24v DC input so everyone will understand it is not limited to 12v

3 - Marked the jumper location with ovals for those not installing the mosfets to use it as a low current (Up to 100ma) constant current led driver instead of for high current stuff.

5 - renamed it to make it better understood what it does. (Not many people are still using MR16's that much)

RJ

Nice Changes

is it possible to get an power on LED or DMX LED??
Also does this board support different dimmer curves

KEN

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, »
RJ,

This looks nice, is their any way to get terminal block connectors instead of the spade connectors, or is that a cost thing? i always seems to have problems with the wire going into the spade connectors coming off.  Maybe i just need a dab of solder to correct this? any got a good suggestion?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, »

RJ

Nice Changes

is it possible to get an power on LED or DMX LED??
Also does this board support different dimmer curves

KEN

We could do that. Will add some parts and cost but nothing much.

No the dc controller does not handle programmable curves like the Express does.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, »
RJ,

This looks nice, is their any way to get terminal block connectors instead of the spade connectors, or is that a cost thing? i always seems to have problems with the wire going into the spade connectors coming off.  Maybe i just need a dab of solder to correct this? any got a good suggestion?

No I am afraid that would be a big cost change.  If you are having issue with the spades coming off may I recommend it is likely one of two things.

1 - You are using the wrong tool or improper use of it. I have seen this many times where the user is using the wrong section of the tool to crimp. (I did not know the right method until I was taught by a retired army electrician as a teenager)

2 - Just as often this one. Wrong size wire for terminal or wrong terminal for the wire how ever you look at it. (I've done this one also)

When crimped proper they will hold very well. This is what they have used for years in aviation due to it being more reliable than solder joints for the high vibration.

RJ

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, »
I agree with Ken - an LED indicator would be a great addition.  As a user of 2 of these last year, I am willing to pay a bit more for the addition of on-board LED.

Thanks for considering this.

Offline cpnbnanamn

• Patron Member
  • I blame Jack for getting me hooked....
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, »
Manual is updated.

RJ

RJ,
  Am I missing something?  The manual in the wiki still shows the old version..  is the new one somewhere else?
  I'm a little confused about the constant current thing too.  Forgive me, my expertise isn't electronic theory.

-Roger
-Roger

I'm hoping to go NUTS this year!

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, »
Funny you should mention that. I just put a board together yesterday and noticed the manual in the Wiki still refers to a previous version of the board and assembly. I photographed my build and will try and update the Wiki (I did this for the V2 EX/RX earlier this year).

-Mike

Manual is updated.

RJ

RJ,
  Am I missing something?  The manual in the wiki still shows the old version..  is the new one somewhere else?
  I'm a little confused about the constant current thing too.  Forgive me, my expertise isn't electronic theory.

-Roger

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, »
Manual is updated.

RJ

RJ,

-Roger

Only to include text info on noting changes.

RJ