Author Topic: LedTriks II FAQ's  (Read 16258 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
LedTriks II FAQ's
« on: February 03, 2008, »
The Ledtriks II is something I have put a lot of thought in to over the last 5 months or so. It is still in a rough will this work this way stage at this point. I have a complete design for a Color version of the Ledtriks just as it is done now. But the design my heart is in is one which only uses a few high output RGB Leds (16 or 32) to do the whole panel. It would use POV to accomplish this. The difference is the unit is flat and as small as a standard LedTriks. There is no killer kid clobering arm  to worry about.  I am using a motor mounted head holding the LEDS and working on a system that allows you to use a mirror at the back of the unit to convert the spinning image into a flat panel image. This allows a few leds to have even more resolution more like a bad TV than the Current Ledtriks. It will not be easy to make work correct as I am finding but I think it will be worth it in the end. If this fails I will just fall back on the working design I have. But it will require you to solder ~ 3000 connections to make one color panel.   :o
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline shocker

Re: LedTriks II FAQ's
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, »
will u do a stand alone version of the current version?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, »
Not in the plan at the moment. By stand alone I would assume you mean you program it and it runs on it's own. This could be done with a serial memory tied into a pic but I have more on the plate for this year than I will get finished.

Maybe we can get someone else to work with you who does pic stuff and work with you on it. It would be a great Project.

RJ

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, »
What about the idea for a series of modularly connect boards to house the leds.  The leds are soldered to them they plug into each other and then into the controller.  basically a 16x16 or 20x20 grid.
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, »
What about the idea for a series of modularly connect boards to house the leds.  The leds are soldered to them they plug into each other and then into the controller.  basically a 16x16 or 20x20 grid.

We looked at that but the cost adds up fast and you still need to solder the leds in. It would be neater but not really less soldering.

RJ

Offline Synnie

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, »
After doing my Ledtriks board i did a bit of enquiring in Aussie on getting PCB's made, 16 x 16 grid double sided. heres the reply with costs

Hi Graeme

Pricing for your bare boards would be as follows: (We would not be able to assist with the assembly of the units at the mentioned volumes)

Quote:

Qty: 50pcs
Unit price: AU$41.19
Tooling: AU$400
L/T: 4 Weeks
Specs: 2 Layer, 1.6mm Fr4, 350mmx350mm, HASL Finish, Green Solder Mask, White Overlay, %100 Tested

I thought for Aussie dollars that it was a reasonable sort of price considering the board sizes.

Graeme

Offline shocker

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, »
vixen doesnt work in vista64 do you have an app that will drive ledtrik

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, »
vixen doesnt work in vista64 do you have an app that will drive ledtrik

No I scrapped it after Vixen became able to run it.

RJ