Author Topic: Express and MR16 power consumption.  (Read 1334 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

Express and MR16 power consumption.
« on: July 30, 2010, »
Does any one know what is the power consumption, Express, MR16 AND THE DMX dongle on there own.
In Watts or Amps.

Thanks
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline austindave

Re: Express and MR16 power consumption.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, »
Do you mind if I ask what you'll use this information for? If we understand how you'll use it, we might be able to give a better answer...

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, »
I have to add up all the Amps I will be using to see how much total battery Amps I will need for the time I'm using.

Thanks

Offline austindave

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, »
Oh. Okay. Thanks.

I don't have numbers, but I CAN say that the power consumption of the controllers and the dongle will be very low - at least by my standards.

But for back of the envelope estimates:

For the LE: According to the BOM, the transformer - which provides power for the circuitry - is rated at 12.6V @ .2A (out), which is ~2.5W. With conversion efficiency offsetting RJ's conservative designs, you're probably looking at something less than 2W for the LE circuitry.

And the MR16 has even less circuitry, so probably draws even less power (though if you run it at higher voltage, the power dissipation will likely rise proportionally).

And the dongle is powered by the computer's USB port, which is typically rated at 5V @ .5A (max) - resulting in the available power being 2.5W. Again, with RJ's conservative designs, the dongle utilization is probably something less than half that.

Hope that helps.

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, »

I think the best Idea would be to measure each one. But it doesn't sound to bad.

Thanks

Offline Greg

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, »
Measured two of my LEs (one v3 and one v4),  both were a hair under 2 watts (1.87 and 1.93 watts) standby.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....