Author Topic: Wireless  (Read 1372 times)

Offline mmais68569

Wireless
« on: August 01, 2010, »
Will the wireless transmitters & receivers that RJ sells as kits work with LOR DC boards?

Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Wireless
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, »
Hi Mike,

I believe you can use the transmitter and the stand alone receiver just as long as your LOR board can handle DMX. The lynx equipment uses RJ-45 connectors so you will need adapter or a conversion cable to make the connection.

BTW: The transmitter and stand alone receiver are the same unit and only a jumper changes the function.

The wiki has a LOR section explaining the conversion cable and other info.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, »
I should have included that it will be a DC board. here is the board I may use.

Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, »
This board is not DMX capable and will not work with the Lynx transmitter.  The Lynx transmitter transmitts a DMX stream which your LOR DC controller will not be able to understand.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, »
I am sorry, but that statement is incorrect.  Every LOR controller, except for the older models of the 8 channel controllers, support DMX.  You will just need to ensure it has the correct firmware installed.  This document from LOR explains what firmware is required for DMX support.  You will however, still need the cross over cable that was posted above in the wiki.

Greg

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, »
I've wondered about this - does the wireless work at the "network" or "transport" layer?  Will it work with any protocol over 485 or is it really looking at the DMX stream?

Nope DMX stream

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, »
I am sorry, but that statement is incorrect.  Every LOR controller, except for the older models of the 8 channel controllers, support DMX.  You will just need to ensure it has the correct firmware installed.  This document from LOR explains what firmware is required for DMX support.  You will however, still need the cross over cable that was posted above in the wiki.

Thank you for posting that and correcting as error on my part.  Perhaps LOR should make some minor updates to their documentation to reflect this.  When you go to the LOR website and look in the manual for the controller it clearly says that LOR software MUST be used to set up and control the unit and there is no mention of DMX at all.  I bet that they have possibly lost quite a few sales due to people wanting controllers with DMX capability and not seeing it there even though they are cpable of it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, »
FYI, LOR is going to have the DMX option in the software maybe next year.  The  beta being tested right now has some indications of DMX already but not usable.

You did not hear that from me.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, »
FYI, LOR is going to have the DMX option in the software maybe next year.  The  beta being tested right now has some indications of DMX already but not usable.

You did not hear that from me.

Hmmmm  ??  I get the feeling we are in for some changes in hardware and software over the next two years.