Author Topic: Question about transmitter/receiver reception pattern  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Blackbeard

It's been a while since all those tests were done on the original wireless stuff. I'll get around to a real test outside, but I ran into a little problem the other day after completing an Express/wireless combo and thought maybe I should check out what others can offer on suggestions.

I usually test my finished Expresses for wireless by running a test sequence with the transmitter in one room of my house and the Express in another. I figured there's enough wiring and stuff through out the house to give me a fair test of the signal strength. For some reason, the last test on a new Express just didn't go, so I moved the transmitter a little bit away from a computer it was near, and all was fine. So it got me thinking.....

I'm planning on doing my first show this year after 2 years of getting delayed for one reason or another. I'd like to place the transmitter  inside of a window to keep it out of nature''s harmful effects. It'll be in a window at one end of the house, and one of my Expresses will be at the other end of the house - about a 40 foot distance. Should the signal be received straight down the front of the house? It's really not line-of-sight, but then the tests I run aren't either and they do just fine.

I'm asking with the expectation of getting replies saying "Just try it", but after the failed test inside the house, I'd kinda like to know whether it SHOULD work, or whether I've just got problems along the transmission path, just in the event it doesn't work.

steve

Offline tbone321

Re: Question about transmitter/receiver reception pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, »
Just try it is really the only valid answer.  Yes, it should work but that doesn't mean that it will and going on pure assumption can turn your first season from a blast to a disaster.  Fortunantly, it is easy to test and you can do it now rather than waiting for the season to start.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving