Author Topic: White on Aether  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
White on Aether
« on: August 03, 2010, »
RJ, I remember that you mentioned that there are 4 channels for the Aether: Red, Green, Blue, and White. I guess the white is created by turning on the R, B, and B Pixels?

Is there a way to choose the "type" of white? You know, when buying white flourescent or LED lights, you can choose from warm white, cool white, etc. An RGB value of 255, 255, 255 makes a pure/cool white that doesn't look warm and traditional. Looking at the following web site, a compact flourescent's warm white (which is similar to a plain old indandescent light bulb) could be reproduced with RGB values of 255, 244, 229.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm doing my light sequences to use a product I haven't seen with my own eyes yet... Right now, I'm manually balancing the Red, Green, and Blue channels to make my desired white, and I was wondering if I don't have to do this manually.

Offline austindave

Re: White on Aether
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, »
RJ,

Just a quick question / suggestion...

Would it be possible for you to provide the firmware flash location of the non-DMX "white" RGB values, so we can individually trim the color for our own purposes? This would be really helpful to allow us (Gary, et al) to select a warm white vs. a cool white (vs a "blue" or "green" or whatever) for the default light color when we're using the Aether for general landscape lighting (or non-seasonal wall washes or whatever - when we're not using DMX control).

Of course, we'd need to load the standard firmware to our PICkits, modify the particular locations with our desired values and then flash the firmware ourselves. And when we programmed the PIC with altered RGB values, we'd know that the checksum wouldn't match the value posted on the WIKI. And before asking for any help with the Aethers, we'd need to flash the standard firmware back - so nobody has to try to debug bad (non-DMX) white settings.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, »
Confused?

Why go through the hassle of trying to mod the firmware when you can just send the rgb code for warm white, etc

Warm White is 248, 245, 212

Antique White is 250, 235, 215

Of course you can play with the numbers for any color version you like

to find more colors this is a nice site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline austindave

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, »
Why go through the hassle of trying to mod the firmware when you can just send the rgb code for warm white, etc

Rick R.

Rick,

My understanding is that there are two modes of Aether operation - with and without DMX running (optional switch selectable).

The "without DMX" mode is for "general" lighting purposes - say, evening / night landscape lighting (like, maybe, evenings for 11 months of the year - when you don't want to be tying your computer up running a sequence). The Aethers would be controlled only by power being applied - going full white any time power is on (say, controlled by a timer).

A simple flip of the switch would change the Aether(s) back to DMX control - defaulting "off" until a sequence is run.

So my request / suggestion is to be able to tune the landscape lighting mode (via RGB value modification at programming time) to be able to have it be whatever color I choose. Of course, it would be even better if it could be programmed like the DMX starting address (via a utility), but didn't think that would be practical at the moment (as it would probably require significant changes to the firmware or address-setting utility).

Hope this helps explain.

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, »
sorry

I was not thinking landscape mode.

maybe RJ could put in a small set of colors that could be toggle through and "remembers"
 the last section. ie: Whites, red, blue

Cheers

Rick (lefty) R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required