Author Topic: Started software to create secuences.  (Read 19409 times)

Offline castortiu

Started software to create secuences.
« on: August 04, 2010, »
Back on January I wrote on here that I had in mind a new software that works radically different than Vixen to create sequences, because of my work I didn’t have time to start it, last year I had 48 channels and create the sequences was a real time consuming task. This year I had in mind close to 300 channels, only thinking in the time I would have to spend to create the sequence made me think to postpone the show for 2011, so instead last week I started to create the software that I had in mind, if works as planned weeks of works should be possible to be done in one day, then I can create the sequences with this software if I can make a working prototype for this year.

I don’t know LSP, never tried, so I don’t know how good they are, my only reference is Vixen so far.

Here is a demo of the work in progress, no much for now  :-\, I just started a week ago and I work at night since I don’t have free time during the day :).

I uploaded the file, it is an Adobe Flash video with the demo of the work in progress. It is a .exe that will open a web page and play the video.

About the file is 100% safe, RJ can kick my a.. if it is not  ;D

Cas.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: Started software to create secuences.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, »
Cas:

I like the ability to scroll back and forth in a song while it's still playing and the ability to change the replay speed on the fly.

Do you know about the Xlights project? ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ...

You might consider merging with them ...

\dmc

Offline castortiu

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, »
One of the objectives is run everything on the fly, that reduces the number of clicks and allows setting the channels when the song is playing, so in theory after mastering the application usage, you could be playing for example at 1/10 of the speed and creating the sequence at the same time.

I don’t know about Xlights project, the site doesn’t show any screenshot or show the semantics how the application is going to work.

Vixen masters the sequence creation from a low level point of view, doesn’t make sense make another application like that since it does very good what is supposed to do, we need applications which are abstracted to a much higher level where they can make the 95% of the work quick, and possible leave the last 5% to be touched for low level apps like Vixen.

I’ll keep an eye on Xlights.

Cas.

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, »
I say good job keep going you can never have enough sequenceing software. 1 thing I would like to see is sorta auto sequenceing what I mean is you pick a group of channels and let the computer auto sequence just on/off then you could go back on adjust to your liken ie. dim,fade ect. I don't know if this is even possible, also away to select specifc beats in a song like the firt and second beat or whatever and it show up on automaticaly on a beat track, I don't understand the wave form I can never tell when the beat starts when there is a bunch of lines every where. Just my thoughts
Jeff

Offline castortiu

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, »
The article was made on Spring 2010 and doesn’t mention any software name with those capabilities. Basically the article is pretty close to what I have in mind and wrote on December 2009.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From where did you take the inspiration to create the article? Is there already software with those capabilities which abstract from the grid?

I didn’t try LSP for two reasons:

1- All videos I have seen, most from YouTube, still use a grid where you set the intensity for the channels, you can have many plug-ins to help in the sequence, if that is the case I would call it Vixen on steroids, if LSP has a mode where you abstract from the grid then it would be interesting, but it’s weird I never saw on YouTube a video using LSP in this way, since it would be way more efficient than using a grid.

2- If I try LSP and I see something I like and they resolved using the grid, it will be stuck in my head, so when a face a similar problem I’ll remember LSP and probably will tend to do something similar, and there is when the originality and new ideas don’t come, as a Software Engineer in my company I have totally forbidden seeing software patents and different software GUI’s since it mess with the ability to create new stuff, I think is a good policy. If you tell me LSP does not use a grid and you can create sequences way faster than Vixen then I may give a try.

Thanks,
Cas

Offline Greg

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, »
and there is when the originality and new ideas don’t come, as a Software Engineer in my company I have totally forbidden seeing software patents and different software GUI’s since it mess with the ability to create new stuff, I think is a good policy.

Amen and hallelujah!

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, »
For the 2010 holiday season, xLights will consist of a scheduler and tester (no sequencer) -- it will be able to output LOR S2 and Vixen sequences to any combination of LOR/D-Light, DMX, and/or Renard networks. So if your sequencer can export to LOR or Vixen format, then it will be compatible with xLights.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline castortiu

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, »
Very impressed, and I’m glad there is work in progress to manage a massive number of channels, first time I hear about Madrix, $1500 sound expensive for DIY light animation :).

I watched the videos about LSP in Vimeo (thanks for the link) and looks way easier than Vixen, looks very complete and polished application, I may give a try the first days of October when I realize than I could not advance enough in my application to create the sequences, I won’t try it for now since I don’t want to fill my head with different behaviors that I have in mind.

After all, why would I want to make another Vixen or LSP when it’s already done and is free or very affordable?

Thanks,
Cas.

Offline castortiu

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, »
Added wave scale, zoom and features to work over the waveform on real-time.

I had to highly compress the video, so the gradients don't look so cool, but on the real app the gradients are perfect.

Basically you can see how we can create effects for a set of wave frames without the need of a grid.

This work is just beginning of the primitives I need for when I start to work on the edition area. Kind of is just the foundation for now.

Cas.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, »
Wow Cas I am impressed!  I did not understand when you said sequencing without the need of a grid.  But with your last demo I understand and I like it.  Can you have this ready by the end of next week so I can start sequencing?   <la.. Just kidding.  Keep up the work please.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, »
Very interesting work Cas!  I am interested to see how the channels get tied into it.   <pop..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, »
Very nice CAS keep up the good work
Jeff

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, »
Nice Cas! I like it.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline paul58

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, »
I like new stuff. It doesn't matter what other software does or doesn't. It only matters what yours does better. Great start sir. Keep it up and keep us posted.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, »
Way Cool.  Will you be able to assign multiple effects per time slice?
R,
Tony "C"