Author Topic: Do I need 2  (Read 1941 times)

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Do I need 2
« on: August 10, 2010, »
I have built a platform using 2 of the MR16 boards in one of the LE cases. (see pic) I went to use an EX/RX to go wireless and on the DMX Out side of the MR16, with the EX/RX connected, there is no DMX output. So my question is, do I need 2 EX/RX's or can I solder 1 sets of wires from the 535-08-600-10 adapter that the WIKI calls for to the other adapter and then onto the EX/RX? And does the EX/RX have enough power to drive the DMX in place of 2 RS485 chips?

Offline ponddude

Re: Do I need 2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, »
Can't you just put the EX/RX on one of them and than daisy chain the other with a cat-5 cable?
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, »
I thought I could, the DMX Out worked with the DMX In coming from cat5, but no output on the DMX Out with the EX/RX connected. Believe me Greg, it surprised me to have no output. Just had a thought, would taking the terminator jumper off change that?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, by bisquit476 »

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, »
Using an EX/RX on anything other than an LE (v3 and above) does not give you a DMX out.  Only an RX (standalone receiver) or TX/RX v2 does.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, »
This has been posted about a lot and they is even an image I believe in the wiki showing it.

EX/RX's do not output DMX so you will have no DMX OUT on a unit using it other than the Express which has the DMX OUT 2. The out 2 is setup to generate serial DMX from the EX/RX.  Now can you run a wire over to the other rs485 chip and get away with it?

I am not sure it might work and it might pick up enough noise to cause some interesting self seqenced light shows of it's own.  You can always try it.  <pop..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, »
If you do try using one ex/rx to drive both, don't forget to tie the grounds together too.  Given the short distance, I think it should work.
/mike