Author Topic: Build a V4 LE or upgrade it to V5  (Read 3304 times)

Offline magic8192

Build a V4 LE or upgrade it to V5
« on: August 12, 2010, »
I have a V4 LE from last year that I didn't assemble.  It is missing a triac and pic.  I used them on other boards.

Should I get the pic and triac and build a V4 board or upgrade to a V5 board?  

Offline tbone321

Re: Build a V4 LE or upgrade it to V5
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, »
That is really a matter of personal choice.  The V4 board works just fine and the changes for the ver 5 board are not massive.  The only down side on ordering just the two replacement parts for the V4 board is the prohibitive shipping costs from Mouser for small orders.  The V5 board requires a few more parts which may reduce the pain of those shipping charges but then you will need to purchace the V5 board from RJ as well.  What I would suggest is that if you decide on a Ver 5 board from RJ, order the full BOM parts for it and include the missing parts for the ver 4 board as well.  Then you can build both and save the Ver 4 as a backup or use it in the future to expand your display.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline magic8192

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, »
I didn't think about the shipping.  That might not be a bad idea to get a V5 and the needed V4 parts.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, »
I think I have V2, V3, V4 and V5 boards I'll be using this year.  I say get the parts and build it, it will work great.

Ron

Offline magic8192

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, »
If I can do without the reset switch, then I will build the V4  ;D

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, »
In my setup, the reset switch is pretty much not needed.  It is easier to unplug and plug most of them back in then to try and get them open to press it.  I guess that some set up their power cables in a way that makes that difficult to do unplug and in that case, the reset switch is priceless but many including myself can live without it.  I guess that it depends how you set it up whether you will need it or not.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, »
It rains a good bit here in December, so I usually put the cords in one of those cheap plastic containers and seal it with silicone.  Cheap waterproofing, but a pain to turn on and off quickly.

Offline Greg

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, »
On a small order, you might do better on shipping by ordering from Digikey since they only charge for actual postage based on weight and package size...  Just a thought.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline magic8192

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, »
I have decided to build a V5 board.  I will try digikey for the parts to see if it is cheaper.  The best I can figure, I will need the snubber resistors, a push button switch, an led and the updated 3.3 volt regulator to go along with my missing triac and pic. 

Offline Rbar

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, »
Once you have succeeded at your V4-->V5 upgrade, can you post your lessons learned?
I have a V4 to upgrade, too.
Thanks!
Rbar

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, »
I have a V4 kit with a V5 board that I was also thinking about upgrading.  Comparing the two parts lists, some of the parts have been upgraded (caps rated at 35V, IC sockets are the dual wipe ones) and the Ethernet connector has a different part number. 

New parts are: 16 - 47K ohm resistors, 1 - green LED, 1 - pushbutton switch, 1 - 1K ohm resistor.
Also need to get the new 3.3V regulator.

When I was checking parts on DigiKey, they didn't have the pushbutton switch I think. 

When I was on the Mouser site, one of the shipping methods was USPS, but they didn't recommend it because they say it's difficult to track packages.  The shipping estimator had the following statement:

"No Handling Fees
Orders shipped via UPS or FedEx are charged the actual shipping cost based on the carrier's rates. Mouser does not add any handling fees."

Funny they didn't mention USPS, but I don't remember USPS being available the last time I purchased stuff from them.

Has anyone tried to order from Mouser using USPS as the shipping method?

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, »
Not to be a wet blanket (and anyone that has more info please jump in) but I recall RJ stating that the LE v5 has a different VReg and it has a different pin-out.  This means that the v5 has some circuit traces that are different when compared to the v4.  The LE v4 cannot be upgraded to a v5 without major work.  I sold some v4 kits and got the question of whether or not they could be upgraded from a prospective buyer and the prevailing answer from the group was a resounding "NO".  If you have a v4 PCB, build it as a v4.  If you want a v5 you need to start with a v5 PCB.

If I flubbed this please feel free to set me straight but this is how I recall it.

Thanks

Alan T

Offline kj77rn

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, »
I may be wrong, but I think they are talking about using the v4 parts on a v5 pcb and getting the additional parts and making sure all the parts are compatible.
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, »
You are correct, the discussion was whether to get a few missing parts and build a ver 4 board that the OP already had or to get a ver 5 board from RJ and order both the missing and extra parts required for a V5.  Modifying a V4 to a V5 would be a huge undertaking for almost no real value.  The V5's added features are nice if you need them but not worth possibly destroying a functioning V4.  If you still havean unbuilt V4 kit and really want a V5 then order the missing and changed parts for the V5 and get the board from RJ and you will be good to go but unless you reall need the added features, I would and am sticking with my V4's the way that they are.

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, »
kj77rn & tbone321,

Thanks for weighing in and in looking at Reply #8 from magic8192 I would say that that makes sense.

This post had me wondering if someone was thinking a v4 pcb could be upgraded to a v5.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Once you have succeeded at your V4-->V5 upgrade, can you post your lessons learned?
I have a V4 to upgrade, too.
Thanks!
Rbar

I guess it wasn't clear to me that this was a situation where they were wanting to upgrade a v4 Parts Kit in order to build a v5.  

Thanks again for the clarification.

AT