Author Topic: Wireframe  (Read 1529 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Wireframe
« on: August 16, 2010, »
I was thinking about creating some wireframe snow flakes.  Now when I think of wireframe, I'm thinking more along the thicker 1/8" rod like material that tomato cages are made out of.  Is this what other people consider the proper material for wireframe projects?  If so, where do you find this stuff other than at Lowes/HD in 3' sections?  I would like to run rope light around the frame for the light source.  Is 1/8" thick material thick enough?
Thanks,
Eric

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: Wireframe
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, »
I'm pretty sure most use 1/4 steel for wireframes, did a quick search in your area,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

you may check with some of them for a better price, it will most likely be in 20ft sections though.

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, »
it becomes more a property of the steel used in the wireframe. Some steel is very ductile (bendable) while others are a lot stronger. Below is a link to those little clips to put the lights on the wires. They come in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" size.

Hope it helps
Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, »
Stay away from HD or Lowes for steel rod. It is very expensive that way. As pointed out, check with the steel suppliers in your area. The sticks are 20' in length and most places will cut it in half for you for free. Also if you order in bulk, your price per stick comes down.

1/4" hot rolled is plenty sufficient for wireframe needs and is easily bent. Hot rolled is more stiff, but working with it is going to be a LOT more work.

With rope light, you will need to use zip ties rather than the clips talked about.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, »
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll wait to work in such projects for now.  May experiment some next winter thinking about next year's show!