Author Topic: How and where to mount wireless transmitter  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
How and where to mount wireless transmitter
« on: August 21, 2010, »
From my initial testing I can see that the wireless gear works best when both are elevated.  For controllers this usually isn't the case, but for the transmitter it could be.  I'm thinking I will need to mount my wireless transmitter outside.  Given it needs a signal cable and power, I can't get real crazy where I put it. 

Is just mounting it outside where there are no obstructions enough?

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Re: How and where to mount wireless transmitter
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, »
Not real sure what your question is,  but hind sight I think I might mount it somewhere just under the eaves of the roof because of the location (up high) and out of site.
Last year I had mine in the garage behind one layer of pressboard and found out that when the snow hit I had more obstructions to deal with. (we get a lot)

Leon
Leon

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From my initial testing I can see that the wireless gear works best when both are elevated.  For controllers this usually isn't the case, but for the transmitter it could be.  I'm thinking I will need to mount my wireless transmitter outside.  Given it needs a signal cable and power, I can't get real crazy where I put it. 

Is just mounting it outside where there are no obstructions enough?

If by no obstructions you mean line of site, then you should have no problems.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, »
My display is in an L shape beings I live on a corner, so wherever I mount it there won't be line-of-sight.  My best guess is as long as it's outside the house, it should be good.

I'll have to look at the data sheet for the transmitter chip and see what it looks like.  My guess is its like and FM antenna and getting it up high should be a good thing.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, »
If you can't see the receiver from the location of the transmitter, then you have an obstruction.  That doesn't mean that it will not work but there may be issues.  The best thing to do is to test your locations for your transmitter and receivers and do it soon while the weather is still nice and you have time to make adjustments on locations. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, »
I did some testing last night and the only problems I had were when the controller was laying down on the ground (no no), or the transmitter was laying down (possibly a no no).  The transmitter was also in the house.

I'm just trying to figure out where to put it that is easy to mount and will work well.  For the most part this is just for the fun of it because in the end  I could run a few extra cat5 cables and have the same thing.

The wireless protects we from vandals (rabbits with sharp teeth). :)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, »
Just FYI,

Last year I ran version 1. As we all know the transmitter is less powerful. Like I said I had it in the garage. No problems with the controllers in the front yard. Additionally I had all wireless SSR4s up on the roof running my roofline C9 lights. I made sure however to minimise the distance between the TX and Rxs although I had no problems.

Leon
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, »
More cat5 cables on the way.  I have my transmitter outside but my L shaped yard is giving me fits (about 100') .  I'm going to first try to run the wireless unit out so they are line of site.  Other than that I'm going to wireless/hard wire them are completely hard wire them.  The closer it gets to Thanksgiving the more I like the taste of pure copper. :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
More cat5 cables on the way.  I have my transmitter outside but my L shaped yard is giving me fits (about 100') .  I'm going to first try to run the wireless unit out so they are line of site.  Other than that I'm going to wireless/hard wire them are completely hard wire them.  The closer it gets to Thanksgiving the more I like the taste of pure copper. :)

Hang it under the eve of the corner of the L on the house. With it 8 ft up unless you have major trees or something there is no reason why it should not work. The EX/RX units are a little direction so turn you controllers so the front face the transmitter. I assume these are Ver 1 units?  100 ft should not be a problem with out serious obstructions.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, »
This is a new 2010 V2 setup with LE V5.  I am going to run it out to the corner of the L and hang it on the garage below the eve.  It will be about 8'.  If this doesn't work I'll do a combination wireless/wired approach.  One way or another I will get it.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, »
Moved the transmitter.  Almost flawless.  Too much stuff in my yard. :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, »
Great thought it should work I ran an express in side the barn from my house which is about 500 ft and the metal door was shut facing my house.  But it's typical of 2.4ghz that you could move to places where it did not at that range and with the stuff in the way.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying