Author Topic: Lynx DMX Dongle - Enttec DMX USB Pro compatability  (Read 4449 times)

Offline matt_grooms

Assumption #1 - The Lynx DMX dongle acts like an Enttec DMX USB Pro DMX dongle. This is based on the fact you select 'Enttec DMX Pro' device withing Vixen.

Question - From an external 'black box' functional point of view does the Lynx DMX dongle emulate the Enttec DMX USB Pro 100%? In other words can a Lynx DMX dongle be substituted for an Enttec DMX USB Pro?

There is a free piece of software that I want to try ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) that doesn't support the Lynx dongle, but does list the Enttec DMX Pro.  In the setup I select the Enttec DMX Pro, select the correct comm port, but there is no dialogue to set the baud rate. Clicking the test button returns an error.

Not sure if it'ss a compatability issue or if my recently built, but untested, Lynx dongle is out to lunch. Oviously I need to verify if my dongle works or not, but wanted to toss out the Lynx dongle vice Enttec DMX USB Pro compatability question for comment.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
Re: Lynx DMX Dongle - Enttec DMX USB Pro compatability
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, »
Neither the Lynx dongle nor the RPM dongle fully emulates the Enttec Pro,  They all work as far as Vixen is concerned, but there's some functionality  that has been omitted.  The RPM one, for example, only sends full universes and ignores all other message types, and the Lynx one does not respond to the "what is your serial number" query, and of course, neither use Enttec's VID/PID,  so there's a  chance that they won't work with third-party software.

/mike

Offline egenoup

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, »
The program works with the entec DMX pro and the Lynx dongle/equipment.  I connected a V1 dongle to a V2 wireless TX/RX and powered on a LE V5 with a V2 wireless receiver.  I was able to control the LE with the DMXcontrol applications.  If you want to test all your lynx equipment with know to work Lynx hardware, give me a call and we can get together....

Charles
 <md..

Offline matt_grooms

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, »
Thanks for testing Charles.

I tested my dongle in the DAL environment and got mixed results:
1) Vixen gave me a permissions error stating I didn't have permissions to use the comm port.
2) RJ's Lynx Express (light curve) configuration utility seemed to work If working is to send forever until you click the stop button.
3) RJ's Deck program worked fine and controlled channels on the Lynx Express I just built (confirmed by watching the status LEDs on controlled channels).

Based on that limited success I tested DMXcontrol in combination with WinAmp and the WinAmp plugin "VBlink". This worked like a champ and delivered the answer to my current quest - a 24 channel 'color organ' controlling DMX lights in real time to whatever song is playing in WinAmp. No sequencing required.

DMX plays the music. VBlink is a visualization plugin for WinAmp that delivers the hooks for Visual Basic programs that want to do something in synch with the music. DMXcontrol's visualization tool allows you to map any DMX device(es) to user defined zones (frequency & amplitude) in the playing music, then sends the DMX stream out the Lynx dongle (just made, latest version (2 ?)) to your lights.

In no way does the output approach what folks are doing with sequencing, but for intermission music, DJ-ing, a dance, a party, etc where you play a great number of songs it gives you the ability to give the folks some blinky lights to look at without doing any sequencing.

Thanks again,

Matt 

Offline josh

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, »
MAtt,
Can you descrive how you used Vblink. I have a freestyle, and can not get any DMX realtime music software to work. Please help me.

Offline Greg

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, »
Josh,

Check out this thread for more info:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....