Author Topic: Removing or deleting channels  (Read 3089 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Removing or deleting channels
« on: August 30, 2010, »
My buddy set up Vixen with about 5-6 beat tracks evenly spaced so he could see his beat track all through the grid.  The problem is they are real channels.  So when he hooks up lights, channel one is a beat track the the light blinks of course to the beat track.  But he mad his light show with just enough Lynx controllers to cover his show but not the beat tracks.  Now he is several channels short.

I showed him to go to manage profile and move the beat tracks to the end and save it.  BUT that just moves them on the screen and not in real life.  Even with the beat tracks at the end it still puts them on the original channel they were assigned to.

If you remove them or delete them the program will crash.  How do you safely remove them or move them to the end?

Ron

for Ken
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Removing or deleting channels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, »
Ron,
You can add as many chanels as you want. I only have 64 channels of lights but I have 512 channels in my profile. That wany I can use channels on the cnd for my beat tracks and place them anywhere in the channel list.
You can copy channel events from channel to channel and then right click on the channel and click on Clear Channel events. That will erase all events in the real channel
Hope that helps

John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, by Rainlover »
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, »
He has 7 or 8 Lynx controllers.  He has almost all channels of lights used.  But he has several beat tracks.  He is now short some channels.  Because the beat tracks are on real channels.  We know you can add up to 512 channels.  He made Swiss cheese out of his channels with the beat tracks.  He does not want to change all the sequences just the profile once.  Best we can see we can not get the holes in the cheese moved to the end so to speak.

example sort of:

10 controllers are 160 channels of lights.  You have 512 in your profile.  BUT the first 160 channels are the REAL channels.  You have 155 channels in your light show.  5 channels extra.  BUT you had 2 beat tracks per controller.  That is 20 beat tracks total.  If you take 20 from your show that only had 5 extra you are short 15 now.  The example also being that the 1st and 9th channel of each controller was a beat track.  That means when he plugs in his lights, he can not use channel 1 and 9 on each controller because all the lights do on them is blink to the beat.

I wondered about the beat track.. Was it a real channel and you just lost one or was is a special channel that was some how skipped over because it was a beat track.  I only have 1 beat track in my 144 channels so I do not care if it real or if it is memorex.

Ron
for Ken
My 2010 Videos

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, »
Ron,
I have 512 channels in my profile. I use 64 channels for my lights and Channels 511 and 512 for my beat tracks. I change the order of my channels so that I have a beat track after channel 12 and a beat track after channel 40.
You could have as many beat tracks as you want, just use channels that are not being used by the controllers.
When I get home, I can do a screen shot for you if you want.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, »
Don't forget that you can rearrange channels for ease of programming.  It is very easy to add a phantom controller that is used for 16 beat tracks and then rearrange the channels on screen so that the beat tracks show up anywhere that you want them.  I have one channel order that has all the reds together and all the greens together, etc, just to make it easier to do gross color changes.  Rearranging the channels does not affect the actual channel order, just the way that they are displayed on the screen.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, »
Why can,t you just use the beat channel and add in the effect that you want and rename the channel in your profile now instead of it being a beat channel it could be Example ( MINI TREES) then go in preview and add ( MINITREES) to your profile
Jeff

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, »
But Ken did not use the high channels for his beat track.  He used low channels right through his light show.  I guess it is one of those hind sight things.  He is looking to just mark them as dead channels and buy an extra Lynx so he has enough channels.  It is a shame and a waste.  The only way out is to start over on his sequencing with a new profile.  A bunch of cut and paste.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, »
To me a simplest solution  (but I be simple sometimes)   would be to add another 16 channel controller (in the high end channel number) into the profile..  then copy the beat tracks to those new channels...    and finally...    wipe out the channel events on the old beat tracks.....     and then  if those channels are needed.....   add the new sequencing events into the old beat channels. 

Larry 

(guess not so simple,  and I hear the pain)..

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, »
But Ken did not use the high channels for his beat track.  He used low channels right through his light show.  I guess it is one of those hind sight things.  He is looking to just mark them as dead channels and buy an extra Lynx so he has enough channels.  It is a shame and a waste.  The only way out is to start over on his sequencing with a new profile.  A bunch of cut and paste.

Add a phantom controller to the end of the channels even the last 512, then copy and paste the beat tracks to those phantom channels.  Then rearrange the channels so the the new phantom beat channels are where you want them which would be right next to the original channels.  Now clear all events from the original beat channels and finish your programming.  This is not a hard task.  Just something new to learn.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA