Author Topic: FINISHED Lynx Aeon clock coop, ends 9/12  (Read 27270 times)

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Re: Lynx Aeon clock coop, ends 9/12
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2010, »
Agreed, the wiki should be updated.  I was short a 4.7K resistor too.  I also had one laying around and the assembled clock works great.

**Edit** I was going to update the wiki, but Mike beat me to it, lol.

Ron
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, by Ron »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2010, »
I already updated the BOM on the wiki...
/mike

Offline batdive

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you look at the assembly manual, the 100nF cap next to the 8-pin connector on top is not supposed to be loaded.

/mike

Hmm Mike I read the manual and the pics according to the manual, are wrong because it was a beta PCB therefore I went by the text.  The manual says, "Now install the 8 .1uf capacitors in the locations marked for them. these are almost just wires but the have a small bump in the middle. Solder them in the same. "

Where does that say dont install the on at the top?  It doesnt and that was the problem.  So I did take a little offense to telling me to look at the manual, when I did.

I personally solder from top to bottom thinnest parts to bigger parts as it makes it easier to hold the stuff in place when I flip the board over.

It would be nice for the manual to be updated and reflect the information at the top is not need and is for something RJ has not put in yet.

Back to the positive side, got the first one up and running and it is running like a champ.  Thanks for the Coop and RJ thanks for the great clock.  It rocks.

-JS

PS: So RJ when is the RGB Clock coming out?  =)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, by batdive »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2010, »
My mistake;   I went by the picture and saw that the capacitor next to the 8-pin connector wasn't there.   The note about the picture being wrong only mentioned the 33-ohm resistor being an addition.   Electrically, it makes sense to leave that one out until RJ designs whatever plugs in to that header.   I have updated the manual to make it clear that no capacitor is needed there.

Sorry about that.
/mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2010, »
Where does that say dont install the on at the top?  It doesnt and that was the problem.  So I did take a little offense to telling me to look at the manual, when I did.

It would be nice for the manual to be updated and reflect the information at the top is not need and is for something RJ has not put in yet.

Back to the positive side, got the first one up and running and it is running like a champ.  Thanks for the Coop and RJ thanks for the great clock.  It rocks.

-JS

PS: So RJ when is the RGB Clock coming out?  =)

Glad you got it running,

The reason for the manual being of the beta pcb and the missing resistor is all the same. I was asked to get the clock out before christmas because a lot of users wanted them for presents.

Since time was so tight before I left their was no time for a regular beta where the beta tester normally catch the bom mistakes and can help update the manual with the final pcbs ect.

The Pcb's that came in and were sent out while I'm on the other side of the world is the first of the final pcbs so the only pcb ever made up til then was my prototype.

Not making excusses just wanted you to understand that the rush to make it happen for everyone can make it hard. We were originally going to wait till I got back to do the Aeon coop. None of this is mike's issues, it was issues I created and he has so kindly delt with for me to make this happen this year for everyone.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2010, »
All is well that ends well.  My clock is running great and I have 3 more to make.  Now to find places for them!! ;D
Greg

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2010, »
I didn't have the correct resistors so I just made a quick trip to Radio Shack and I have the parts needed to finish my clocks. No big deal.
Thanks to Mike for doing the coop.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline batdive

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2010, »
RJ the clock is great no worries.  Have one built after a quick flash of the PIC and it is working great.  One happy "accident" as the guy that use to teach painting said, was having the bad PIC flash originally is an easy way to test all the LEDs just after install.  Was nice to see them all light up and then flash the PIC and it was clock time.

Cant wait to make the 2nd clock now.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2010, »
What a cool clock. All 4 grandkids love it. My wife even thought it was pretty cool.
It was great seeing all of the leds light up. Flashed the pic, set the time and hung it up in the garage.
Now to build the other 2 and figure out who gets them for Christmas.
Thanks to RJ for his design and thanks Mike for doing the coop.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2010, »
Just to let you know mine just showed up in today's mail....
Bob
zappedmyself.com

Offline pawpawlights

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2010, »
After getting a few more parts all is good, Thanks for doing the coop.

Matt
Times fun when your having flies!!!!!

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2010, »
Got my box last week.

Thanks for doing this.

Bill

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2010, »
One built and the only thing missing is the "tick" "tock"... 

Mike  ..    Well done on the coop   (just had to scrounge one resistor)...

RJ...   Great little addition to my workshop   (errrrrrrrrr  ...    room disaster)  ....     
(still trying to figure out what that extra connector is for...   so far I've thought  "start time for that program that is running on the conductor.....    an alarm clock   .......     and still thinking...)

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2010, »
One built and the only thing missing is the "tick" "tock"...  

Mike  ..    Well done on the coop   (just had to scrounge one resistor)...

RJ...   Great little addition to my workshop   (errrrrrrrrr  ...    room disaster)  ....      
(still trying to figure out what that extra connector is for...   so far I've thought  "start time for that program that is running on the conductor.....    an alarm clock   .......     and still thinking...)

Larry

Glad you all likr them!

Ok,Ok I give I will tell what it is for!

It is extra holes I put in the Aeon pcb to make everyone wonder what it is for!    <pop..    ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2010, »

It is extra holes I put in the Aeon pcb to make everyone wonder what it is for!    <pop..    ;D

RJ

<la.. Thats funny, I still say its a daughterboard for sounds on the hour (hence the 8 pin and two open holes on either side to secure it to the Aeon, but we will wait and see since RJ loves to keep us drooling.

On a side note, we need a drooling emote since most of us tend to do that when reading some threads..

Like one of these
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, by batdive »