Author Topic: A request or idea . . . How about an MR4 - 4CH DC DMX Controller  (Read 2631 times)

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
I'm throwing this out here based on RJs post in the MR16 Parts thread
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 
about the MR16 originally being designed as a constant current LED controller for a model railroader (I can only guess who that might have been  :)

I have a similar need and could see myself personally needing 50 to 60 or more of a relatively small form factor DC controller that would be like the MR16 but with just 4 channels.  If it could have DMX in / out or through and the ability to add MOSFETs for higher current loads I'd be very interested.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Alan T

Offline Caliente Christmas

I like your Idea, I know its out there, but I like to stay with the brand (Lynx) for all my hardware.

A DCSSR4 with DMX options.  

DCSSR4 that can be controlled by the freestyle or run by itself.

<yk..    <yk..   <yk..

Maybe for 2011   

Offline jandelee

I don't know if this would work for your application, since it only has three channels, but it's been getting some buzz over on the PC boards:

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
I like your Idea, I know its out there, but I like to stay with the brand (Lynx) for all my hardware.

A DCSSR4 with DMX options.  

DCSSR4 that can be controlled by the freestyle or run by itself.

<yk..    <yk..   <yk..

Maybe for 2011  

That is a good idea as well.  I was leaning toward something based on the MR16 design because of the constant current for LEDs but I could see myself using some DCSSR4s w/DMX as well.  That would give us Freestyle fans a good choice use with the Freestyle and/or in a standalone situation where you need to control some DC items.

Thanks for the added suggestion.

I don't know if this would work for your application, since it only has three channels, but it's been getting some buzz over on the PC boards:

I've looked at a lot of these but I was interested in staying with Lynx hardware if possible.  I know that RJ's designs are great and I like the DIY aspect of it.  I sort of go back an forth on these.  I've seen other posts pointing to different vendors that offer roughly the same unit.  You're also right on the 3 Ch vs 4 Ch.  I am looking at some stuff with RGB + White LEDs as well as some other ideas that need 4 Ch each.

Not sure if this idea will go anywhere but I thought it was worth getting some feedback on.

Thanks for weighing in on the topic.

Alan T
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, by D56VillageNut »

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
I've looked at a lot of these but I was interested in staying with Lynx hardware if possible.  I know that RJ's designs are great and I like the DIY aspect of it.  I sort of go back an forth on these.  I've seen other posts pointing to different vendors that offer roughly the same unit.  You're also right on the 3 Ch vs 4 Ch.  I am looking at some stuff with RGB + White LEDs as well as some other ideas that need 4 Ch each.

It's hard to beat these $6 DMX controllers - I've built several hundred elements for my display this year with them and I have to say...these little boxes just work.  I've put nearly 50 on a single 200ft line without a problem, they fade fairly well and... they are about $6.  I've shorted them, over powered them and they just keep on going.  Great for a decentralized system where you want to put the controller into the display element directly.

dmoore,

I appreciate the plug on the low cost 3CH DMX controllers but the operative word here is that I need 4 channels on this device not 3.  I have a specific application in mind where I felt the option of having both the low current and high current versions of a smaller size/channel count DC controller (hence the MR4 idea) would be of interest to me.  I also agree with one of the other posts in this thread that a Lynx version of a 4CH DC SSR would also be of interest to some members particularily if RJ sees fit do do a DC version of the SSR4+DMX.  It would also give me some parts commonality which would allow my to keep spare chips, etc. on hand.

No slam on the 3 channel uniits you have been promoting but just not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Alan T

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Did you ever find a solution?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
Did you ever find a solution?

I have someone working on a 4 Channel DMX DC SSR design for me.  Not ready for release yet.  Will post if and when we get it completed.

Alan T