Software > xlights

xLights

(1/10) > >>

dowdybrown:
xLights has been my programming project for the summer. I just released Windows and Mac versions today. It is an open source project, so the code is available for all to view and everyone is welcome to contribute (e.g. code fixes, testing, documentation).

xLights controls your holiday lighting displays. It currently consists of a testing module and a scheduling module. It can control a variety of lighting networks including LOR, D-Light, DMX, and Renard. And it runs on Windows, Mac OS/X, and Linux.

xLights does not have its own sequencer, but can run shows using a mixture of LOR S2 and Vixen sequences. xLights can play any sequence on any of the networks it supports. Thus, the following combinations are possible:

* LOR S2 sequence over an LOR/D-Light network. xLights uses the native LOR commands to control your lights, just as if you were playing them using the LOR scheduler.

* LOR S2 sequence over DMX. The translation from LOR to DMX is done on your computer as the sequence is played - no need for an iDMX device. All you need is a DMX dongle! Any ENTEC USB PRO compatible dongle will do (Lynx and DIYC JMC dongles work great). Because xLights maps a network in your LOR S2 sequence to a DMX universe and because LOR S2 is limited to 4 networks, you will be limited to 4 DMX universes in this configuration (2048 channels).

* LOR S2 sequence over Renard. The translation from LOR to Renard is done on your computer as the sequence is played. No extra conversion steps are required.

* Vixen sequence over LOR/D-Light network. Only appropriate for smaller displays (about 128 channels or less) due to bandwidth constraints. But on smaller displays, it works great!

* Vixen sequence over DMX. xLights supports up to 10 universes in this mode (5120 channels).

* Vixen sequence over Renard. xLights supports up to 10 networks in this mode.

Windows and Mac downloads are now available on SourceForge. It's marked version "0.1" - only tested by a few folks so far. So if you find issues, please post them in the xLights forum on SourceForge. Documentation is in the xLights wiki on SourceForge (incomplete but growing).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I will be giving a demo to the folks attending the Lone Star Holidays event in Houston on Saturday!

Matt

ponddude:
This looks promising!!  Downloading now...thanks!

jem5136:
This looks like something I would be using in my shows! I do have a quick question thought, I do most of my sequencing in LOR, and I usually sequence and then convert it over to Vixen. So my question is, Can I run Renard, Lynx and LOR/D-Light all at the same time from an LOR sequence?

dowdybrown:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThis looks like something I would be using in my shows! I do have a quick question thought, I do most of my sequencing in LOR, and I usually sequence and then convert it over to Vixen. So my question is, Can I run Renard, Lynx and LOR/D-Light all at the same time from an LOR sequence?

--- End quote ---

Yes, xLights supports that. In your LOR sequence you would assign Renard, Lynx, and LOR/D-Light to separate networks. Doesn't matter what type of controller you assign in the LOR software. As long as they are in separate networks, xLights would be able to drive each one with the appropriate lighting protocol.

Matt

budude:
Wow - sounds like a neat project - I'll have to give it a try.

Edit - Pretty neat indeed - heck the channel tester alone is well worth the download!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version