Author Topic: xLights  (Read 35652 times)

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
Re: xLights
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, »
So what version of Vixen should I use to create my sequences to work with this?
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, »
I've been testing with 2.1. I've downloaded a number of vixen sequences off the web, some of which varied slightly in format. xLights has been able to read everything I've found so far.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jcazz

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, »
Matt -

I've been able to build an S2 sequence in LOR that uses a CTB16PC and I've been able to control it both as a DMX device & as a LOR device.

I also built a sequence which uses the CTB16 on the regular network and a handful of channels on the AUX A network which xLights is translating into DMX and pushing out over my Enttech Pro (way cool; running DMX & LOR without an iDMX).

Here's my question; since I'm using the AUX network in the S2 file, is there anyway in xLights I can setup a mapping to tell xLights if it sees data for AUX A controller 1A (for example), map it to DMX channel 1?  Or can I request this as a feature/enhancement? 

This would let me keep my LOR controllers as 1 through 7 and still use DMX devices starting at channel 1.  I'm willing to accept that if I start a mapping like this I would end up losing access to some of the DMX channels.

Thanks for this awesome tool.  It has a ton of potential!

Jacob

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, »
Matt -

I've been able to build an S2 sequence in LOR that uses a CTB16PC and I've been able to control it both as a DMX device & as a LOR device.

I also built a sequence which uses the CTB16 on the regular network and a handful of channels on the AUX A network which xLights is translating into DMX and pushing out over my Enttech Pro (way cool; running DMX & LOR without an iDMX).

Here's my question; since I'm using the AUX network in the S2 file, is there anyway in xLights I can setup a mapping to tell xLights if it sees data for AUX A controller 1A (for example), map it to DMX channel 1?  Or can I request this as a feature/enhancement? 

This would let me keep my LOR controllers as 1 through 7 and still use DMX devices starting at channel 1.  I'm willing to accept that if I start a mapping like this I would end up losing access to some of the DMX channels.

Thanks for this awesome tool.  It has a ton of potential!

Jacob

Glad you like xLights. I think what you propose makes sense and should be the default behavior. I will work on it for the next release.

Keep those ideas coming!

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline tpctech

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, »
Matt,

I also sequence and run my show with LOR with both LOR controllers and a bunch of DIY DMX hardware.  Xlights looks like a great way to merge this all.

Have you thought about supporting a DMX over IP protocol like sANC E1.31. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    This is a 4 port IP to 4 DMX port box for less $$ then a Idmx or 4 USB to DMX dongles.  With this 1 cat5 or WIFI to yard supports 4 universes of DMX!  There is a currently a output plug-in for Vixen that uses this protocol.

The other would be to support a "contact" interface maybe a parallel port or Serial string input to be able to play a sequence on command.  Like Push button #1 plays seq #1, Push button #2 plays seq 2,  Or send a serial string from another program to start a sequence.  The xlight would be "listening" to a com port when it "hears" Start seq#1 then Seq #1 plays

KEN

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, »
Matt,

I also sequence and run my show with LOR with both LOR controllers and a bunch of DIY DMX hardware.  Xlights looks like a great way to merge this all.

Have you thought about supporting a DMX over IP protocol like sANC E1.31. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    This is a 4 port IP to 4 DMX port box for less $$ then a Idmx or 4 USB to DMX dongles.  With this 1 cat5 or WIFI to yard supports 4 universes of DMX!  There is a currently a output plug-in for Vixen that uses this protocol.

The other would be to support a "contact" interface maybe a parallel port or Serial string input to be able to play a sequence on command.  Like Push button #1 plays seq #1, Push button #2 plays seq 2,  Or send a serial string from another program to start a sequence.  The xlight would be "listening" to a com port when it "hears" Start seq#1 then Seq #1 plays

KEN

Serial input and output will be supported in the next release (this year). I already have it working - testing it on my Halloween display.

E1.31 will be supported next year.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, »
any chance of playing background sequencing code?

I.E. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I know the other way is to create a sequence and run it, but it doesn't have the support of a music player.

Just a thought. Playing a sequence with the ability of a music player option after the show ends? I usually add in a voice over for viewers who miss my show and are informed of the time my show starts and ends, etc...

unless it already does this and I dunno how to do it.  <fp.

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, »
any chance of playing background sequencing code?

I.E. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I know the other way is to create a sequence and run it, but it doesn't have the support of a music player.

Just a thought. Playing a sequence with the ability of a music player option after the show ends? I usually add in a voice over for viewers who miss my show and are informed of the time my show starts and ends, etc...

unless it already does this and I dunno how to do it.  <fp.

Actually, it does have the support of Windows Media Player on Windows, or QuickTime on the Mac. So yes, it can play music, video, or sequences in any order. The order of play is controlled by the script on the right side of the playlist. The script wizard creates a pretty generic script that runs through your playlist during the scheduled time. However, with the a more complex script you can make songs and sequences play in any order you want, at any time you want.

The script for my Halloween show uses inputs from an Arduino board to know when trick-or-treaters are walking to my door and when I open the front door. I can then run short sequences done to sound effects as the kids approach my door to make it seem really creepy!

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline comporder1

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, »
Matt,

Any word on the next release with d-light native commands?

Thanks
Carey

Offline sakone1

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, »
will the show repeat if the scheduled time  is longer than the show length? Also I thought there was a link showing how to edit scripts.
Scott

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, »
 Hi Matt,

Couple questions about xLights

1 - I can't see to have a Vixen Seq in the scheduler that doesn't have a mp3 attached, is this possible?
2 - the scheduler play list - I think it needs a check all / uncheck all button switch
3 - Can the playlist show how long each select seq will take to play (total minutes)

xLights on different flavors of Windows and under Debian Linux
Still have some issues with Debian
Windows 7 pro 32bit - Everything seems to work except I couldn't get the script to run
Windows XP - Works great
Currently no Mac at home - Using one at work and hopefully will be getting a Macbook Pro 15 soon

In the past I had problems with Vixen's scheduler. I think I have settle on using xlights as the scheduler for this year (using Win XP). Once I figured out the program it seems to work well.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, »
Hi Matt,

A question,

If I have xlights in the startup folder in Windows. So if my computer loses power and restarts will the scheduler run the show or will I have to get in the computer and start up scheduler for the show?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, »
Help.  I set up the network (vixen).  I made the test work.  I created a play list.  I set multiply days to play.  I click play and it plays one (1) song and stops.  When I try to make a play list I have Vix checked on.  It shows all my sequences with a check mark by them.  I click script and it makes a script but only plays one song.  I can not seem to add all the songs to the list.  I tried right click, left click etc.  What am I missing to add all the sequences?

Ron

My 2010 Videos

Offline csf

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, »
Matt,

Any word on the next release with d-light native commands?

Thanks
Carey

I believe if you compile the latest source dlight should be working. But I don't have any dlight hardware that I can test with to confirm this.

Hi Matt,

A question,

If I have xlights in the startup folder in Windows. So if my computer loses power and restarts will the scheduler run the show or will I have to get in the computer and start up scheduler for the show?

Thanks

Rick R.

I haven't tried this but I believe it should work if you have the scheduler in the start up folder, if you just xlights menu in the start folder then it probably will not work since the scheduler is a separate exe then the menu and the menu does not automatically launch the scheduler exe. May be worth just restarting the computer one day with  xlights open and see what it does.

Help.  I set up the network (vixen).  I made the test work.  I created a play list.  I set multiply days to play.  I click play and it plays one (1) song and stops.  When I try to make a play list I have Vix checked on.  It shows all my sequences with a check mark by them.  I click script and it makes a script but only plays one song.  I can not seem to add all the songs to the list.  I tried right click, left click etc.  What am I missing to add all the sequences?

Ron

First try to play the individual sequence files trough xlights one at a time. If there all working right try and play the whole show with out a script. The script generator currently only puts a custom condition on the first and last track if you want to. It is not something that has to be used for a show to run.

If there are questions I missed it's most likely because I don't have a full answer and Matt will need to answer them himself.  But I figured I can share what I do know about with the rest of you.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, »
Still having problems.

I am running windows 7 - 32 bit.  I create a schedule.  I make a playlist by putting the .vix and .mp3 files in the same folder.  As you can see in the picture I have a list with a several sequences selected.  I then click on play and it says nothing selected.  IF I select one of the checked boxes by left clicking it.  It lights up blue and then if I click play again it will play only the sequence that is light up blue and stop.  I tried it on 2 computers but both are win7 32 bit and the same on both.  I was wanting to try to use this to play my show.

Ron
My 2010 Videos