Author Topic: LOR & Wireless LE  (Read 3582 times)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
LOR & Wireless LE
« on: September 14, 2010, »
I pinged Pondude on this question and he thought there may be an issue, so I am opening it up to the greater brain trust.

I want to know if there will be issues with the following set up. I am forced to stay in LOR S2 for this year. Here what I WANT to do, I just need to know if there are any potential conflicts with the set up before I invest time in testing.

LOR S2 to LOR ELL to LOR iDMX

iDMX to Lynx DMX Splitter

One branch off the splitter will drive my normal DMX Universe

Another branch off the splitter will go to a V1 Standalone Wireless Tx

From the Wireless Tx it will go out to LE's and SSR4's with the v1.2 Ex/Rx wireless units in them.

Thanks for your input.

Mark
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline tbone321

Re: LOR & Wireless LE
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, »
I don't see where there would be any issues.  As long as the splitter and the transmitter is getting DMX and nothing else, it should work.  Actually, the only possible issue is if the IDMX unit is sending variable length packets.  Although this is allowed in the DMX protocol, I believe that RJ's dongle always sends out a full packet so the possible issue is if the IDMX is sending variable length packets, can the splitter and and transmitter deal with that.   
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, »
Can I ask why you are forced to stay with LOR S2? You could still sequence with S2 and then convert to Vixen or import into LSP obviating the need for $500 worth of LOR DMX gear? just wondering... and have you seen the xLights thread here? - I think it may make a lot of LOR users wet themselves if they are thinking of going to DMX... ;D

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, »
I have been using DMX for 3 years, I already invested in the LOR iDMX gear 4 years ago, or whenever it first came out. No worry on investment there.

As far as being in S2, the translation idea is not bad. However, the translation is not so straight forward. I have not looked at the virtual controllers in LSP yet, but translating will mess up the template I have in S2. Not so bad if no changes occur during the season, but I am tweaking sequences usually many times. Sometimes even in a night. I will be over 600 channels this year with a lot of those being DMX. I still may consider this.

It has been a busier year than most for me, and I am having to re-adjust priorities in the display to do some new things, and also get quite a bit of Lynx gear into the show as all my new growth.

I will check with LOR on the DMX packet info. I was not aware of the length item.

Thanks all. I guess a test is still in order!

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, »
The iDMX sends the entire 512 channels...what is he talking about?
Greg

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, »
Per Dan this morning,

The iDMX sends out two packet sizes 256 and 512 ...  The default is to send 256 byte packets. Two conditions will cause it to switch to 512 packets. If a LOR command is received for a DMx address higher than 256 or a DMX packet is received (on the DMX input port) with a packet size larger than 256.

There were two reasons we went with the 256. Originally the iDMX only supported 256 addresses (From LOR) so unless there was a DMX input there was no need for packets sizes larger than 256. Secondly,  internally when effects such as a fade are calculated the intensity is updated 120 times per second. By using a 256 byte packet we could increase the refresh rate and take better advantage of the effects being generated.

All DMX equipment is supposed to handle packets of any length. If there is ever an issue with the 256 byte packets you can simply add a channel to the iDMX for an address higher than 256. This will force the iDMX to 512 byte Packets.

Dan

Hope this info helps,

Bill

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, »
I saw that. So you have to FORCE LOR to be native 512.

All my Lynx equipment will get adjusted base addresses above 256.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, by zman »

Offline ponddude

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, »
Also, don't forget to load the iDMX with the latest firmware to ensure that you have the ability of hitting all 512 channels.
Greg

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, »
That was done the day the new firmware became avail.

Dan added that in S2, you only have to have a channel assigned to something above 256, in the sequence, no fixture has to be addressed for LOR to push out the 512.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, »
So if I understand this correctly  I should add a dummy 01.512 or something greater than 01.256 channel to my sequences.  Where 01 is the channel number of my iDMX.

Offline ponddude

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, »
Yes, that is correct.  Turn it on for the length of the sequence as well.  That will force the software to send a command higher then 256.
Greg

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, »
The iDMX sends the entire 512 channels...what is he talking about?

As per additional posts, i actually knew what i was talking about, the original firmware for the Tiger controllers followed the Microchip App note just a little to closely and looked for all 512 slots, this has since been resolved to be compliant to the DMX standard of supporting 1Hz to 800+Hz DMX refresh rates.

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline ponddude

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, »
Your absolutely right.  I was under the impression from my conversations with Dan that once you updated the firmware and set the hex address to something other than a "-0" that all 512 bits were sent out.  I was unaware that you had to use a ghost channel above 256 in order for this to happen.  Goes to show we aren't all perfect, including yourself.  It's a shame you have to be so nasty.
Greg

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Gentlemen.

Can we avoid any unneeded comments?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline wbuehler