Author Topic: where can i find a place to download music at?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline cardoc13

• Leturno's Light Show
my computer crashed i lost everything and i have to start all over
where is a place i can download music that is vixen compatable?

Scott

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: where can i find a place to download music at?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Vixen will use mp3s.  Amazon and other places have music you may purchase in mp3 format.  There are sites that have music that is actually made to be free, but they're scattered all over the net.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lightsup

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, »
If you want free music legally do like I do record them on a cassette deck through the audio out of the sound card and then convert them to mp3. It takes a while but you don’t have to pay 15 to 30 buck for 1 or 3 song you like on a CD.
Just do it.

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you want free music legally do like I do record them on a cassette deck through the audio out of the sound card and then convert them to mp3. It takes a while but you don’t have to pay 15 to 30 buck for 1 or 3 song you like on a CD.

How exactly is this legal?  Its not different than copying the audio from someones lightshow video onto your hard drive.  There are plenty of places to get songs for $1  Itunes, Amazon, Walmart, etc

Chris

Offline lightsup

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, »
It is legal as long you don’t share with others. For personal use only.
Just do it.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, »
It is legal as long you don’t share with others. For personal use only.

Um, no. But you will give the MPAA lawyers a big laugh when you tell them that.

You might be skirting the law if you weren't *broadcasting* the music you download over an FM transmitter or set of speakers in your front yard (and note I say "skirt," because I think the whole "for personal use only" defense would probably not work).

But once you're using it in your show, the "personal use only" defense is out the window.

I think the only "legal" download is a download where you have a receipt from a service (Amazon, iTunes, Rhapsody, etc.) that shows you paid money for the MP3 that exists on your hard drive. If you own commercial media -- CDs, vinyl records, cassette or eight-track (cough, cough) tapes -- I believe those also prove you "own" the music.

If you buy a track from iTunes, I think you have a right to move it from the AIFF format to another format; you can use an application like Audacity (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to convert it to something Vixen uses.

BTW, Vixen can use either MP3s and WAV files (MP3s are highly compressed; WAV files lightly compressed). If you have a low-power computer, I would suggest converting all your audio files to WAV so that the computer has to do less work to decompress the audio.

YMMV.

\dmc

PS: I am not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV or the Internet. I do spend a lot of time researching copyright issues, FWIW.

Offline lightsup

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, »
ok then we are all braking the laws when posting video of are shows or others people show on the net in any format, because we are not paying royalties to the artist or company for playing there music over the air or in a data form even if you buy the music, it is only for you’re personal use not to be rebroadcast it is a worm hole that we all fall in.
 I am not offended or mad of the replies, I was just suggesting a way to get is music in a fairly legal way since its no and will not be of high digital quality and is a lot of time involved in doing so.
Just do it.

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, »

If you buy a track from iTunes, I think you have a right to move it from the AIFF format to another format; you can use an application like Audacity (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to convert it to something Vixen uses.

For whats its worth, most of the music I have gotten from Itunes, I just convert within Itunes itself. Just change the output setting to MP3 or WAV in the burn settings....then right click on the song
Chris

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, »
The problem is there is NO way to copy any song from the web and have it be legal.....quality of recording makes no difference.  Seriously, for the money we spend on our displays, its pretty bad that anyone is too cheap to spend a $1 for a lefit copy of the song and just steals the music instead.
Chris

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, »
ok then we are all braking the laws when posting video of are shows or others people show on the net in any format, because we are not paying royalties to the artist or company for playing there music over the air or in a data form even if you buy the music, it is only for you’re personal use not to be rebroadcast it is a worm hole that we all fall in.

You're absolutely right -- posting Christmas-lights videos is illegal unless you have a performer and rights-holder that has specifically agreed to allow videos to be posted -- TSO (and its publisher, BMI) comes immediately to mind.

This is why YouTube pulls down most Christmas-lights videos.

For whats its worth, most of the music I have gotten from Itunes, I just convert within Itunes itself. Just change the output setting to MP3 or WAV in the burn settings....then right click on the song

I forget that such a feature exists in iTunes for Windows -- I maintain all my iTunes stuff on Macintosh and I haven't been able to find that feature in the Mac version. But, since you have to listen to a piece of music dozens of times before you can begin sequencing anyway, I've never felt like it wastes time to listen once more while converting a file from AIFF to MP3 or WAV.

\dmc

Offline basis21b

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, »

You're absolutely right -- posting Christmas-lights videos is illegal unless you have a performer and rights-holder that has specifically agreed to allow videos to be posted -- TSO (and its publisher, BMI) comes immediately to mind.

This is why YouTube pulls down most Christmas-lights videos.

<snip>

YouTube had pulled down all of my TSO based Christmas light videos while they had their dispute with BMI.  They all were reinstated after the dispute was resolved.  It would seem to me that if BMI and TSO had an issue that would not have happened.

Tom B

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, »

Thank God! I can still go to a library and check out a book and even share it with a neighbor. Even though it too, falls under the same copyright law, but for some strange reason is legal.

Sorry to play devils advocate but something has to give with the RIAA.   <wd..

BTW - You could use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The artists welcome creative use of their music.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, by coachers »
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, »
Another little piece of trivia - anything older than 78 years becomes public domain... Although that does not apply equally to derivitie works.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, »
my computer crashed i lost everything and i have to start all over
where is a place i can download music that is vixen compatable?

Scott

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I have been using this site for about 2 years.  Its an all you can download for a 3 year membership of roughly 30 bucks.   I just got a bunch of great Halloween tunes like Ghostbusters and the Adams family themes.  It takes some time because it's a share ware but for the price I think its worth it.

Rebecca
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, »
The problem is there is NO way to copy any song from the web and have it be legal.....quality of recording makes no difference.  Seriously, for the money we spend on our displays, its pretty bad that anyone is too cheap to spend a $1 for a lefit copy of the song and just steals the music instead.

That's mostly true. There are web sites up and coming artists can publish their songs and make them available for free downloads. (search for podsafe music) Just don't count on finding anything Christmas related that is good for our use.

I spent about 5 hours yesterday listening to different songs on a bunch of different web sites. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Is the only artist that I cared for but not sure if any of his songs are usable for sequencing.

Mark

Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA