Author Topic: Need Help!  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
Need Help!
« on: October 14, 2010, »
So I had the dongle working for months now. However, I unplugged it  to show someone and pluged it back in and its no longer working. I have tried to reinstall the driver but Its not not detecting it. Im running windows 7. any one have an idea?
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, »
I'll give a typical Geek Squad response:

Did you reboot the computer and try it again?

Seriously, sometimes it won't properly release the COM port, so reconnecting it won't work.
If your speakers are turned on, you should always hear a tone when you plug and unplug the Dongle.
If it doesn't make noise when unplugging, then the computer doesn't know that it is gone.

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, »
I have tried to reboot it and will try it again. Howeverm i am NOT hearing the beep. :s
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

When you unplugged, did you by chance pull the end too far out at the other end of the cable?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings,,,

When you unplugged, did you by chance pull the end too far out at the other end of the cable?

Keith

I have rebooted and still no beeps. I have installed the driver at least i believe it is the right driver. the one from the dongle manual on the wiki page. Im stumped. :S

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, »
Trevor,
Even if the pic got corrupted, it should still ding when you plug it in.
You might try a different cable.
When the dongle is connected, try wiggling the cable in the connector.

Turn around twice and click your heels together.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, »
Trevor,
Even if the pic got corrupted, it should still ding when you plug it in.
You might try a different cable.
When the dongle is connected, try wiggling the cable in the connector.

Turn around twice and click your heels together.

John

I have already tired a differant cable. Im now seeing that the com ports r no longer there? Shouldnt installing the drivers create them?

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, »
So As stated above I have tried to change the cord as well with no luck. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled vixen. With no luck. Im not getting the beeps alerting to its being plugged in. Is it a problem with the dongle? and if so, why would it just stop working?

I have also tested it on another pc with the same problem. not being detected
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, by Trevor »

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, »
Trevor,
Check the .1uf cap at the bottom of the PIC chip for dc voltage with the usb plugged in. Should see 5v.
When the cable is installed, try pushing and pulling the cable out of the dongle to see if you get any action.
Is it possible that you could have bumped the usb connector and maybe broke a cold solder joint?
Touch up any solder joints that look questionable.
I am sure it is a simple remedy. There are people here that are a lot sharper than me that can probably give you better guidance.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, »
Trevor,
Check the .1uf cap at the bottom of the PIC chip for dc voltage with the usb plugged in. Should see 5v.
When the cable is installed, try pushing and pulling the cable out of the dongle to see if you get any action.
Is it possible that you could have bumped the usb connector and maybe broke a cold solder joint?
Touch up any solder joints that look questionable.
I am sure it is a simple remedy. There are people here that are a lot sharper than me that can probably give you better guidance.

John

Thank you for the advice. I see a soder joint that MAY be the blame. In my opinion I dont think that it is an issue but I will give it a try. At this point im willing to try anything! I will soder it and let you know what the verdict is.

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, »
Well soder joint resodered and STILL having the same issue.  :-\

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, »
Restart your computer. Then look for your com ports

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, »
I have already restarted the pc numerous times. Apon looking at the voltage im only getting 3.5 volts and not the full 5. Any ideas what this could be?

Offline rm357

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, »
This seems silly, but it happened to me...

Make sure the usb plug is plugged all the way into the dongle - mine clicks twice going in and only leaves about 1/8 inch of the metal part of the connector showing.

The power pins mate on the first click and the data pins on the second one. It won't "ding" if the data pins don't connect.

Another silly thing is to try another USB port - at least under windows XP, the USB enumeration registers the device on a specific port. Moving to another port creates a new instance of the device, even though it points to the same driver files.

Good Luck!!
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, »
Yeah I have tried that as well. Luckily I found someone that had 2 extra working dongles. So I went ahead and bought them from him. I would still like to have a few more incase they decide to crap out on me. Do they do this often?