Author Topic: Simple Question from a N00b  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
Simple Question from a N00b
« on: October 15, 2010, »
I was wondering with the Lynx Express how many strands of mini lights can be plugged in per channel. Also, how many strands can be plugged into the whole board?

I currently have a 200amp service and have 6 controllers and 1 backup. Im trying to use approx 50,000 lights all of which are minis.
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Simple Question from a N00b
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, »
Hi Trevor

The LE with both power inputs connected can handle

40 amps Total for the Express with approved heat sink attached
4 amps per channel maximum with approved heat sink attached

I think the rough estimate is (3) 100 mini strings is about 1 amp
That can change depending on the top of lights being used

The best way is to get a watt/amp meter and test each different type of string you have. I got one from Home depot where they sale the electric service panels for about $26.00

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, »
So you can only plug 13 strands of lights into the entire 16 channel board? That dont make any sence. Or am I reading it wrong?
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, »
4 amps per channel would be around 12 strings of minis per channel  or   192 per LE..  If my math is correct.   i dont do public math very well.   ;D

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, »
So you can only plug 13 strands of lights into the entire 16 channel board? That dont make any sence. Or am I reading it wrong?

About 12 strands per channel or 192 strands of lights depending or how many amps each strand pulls.
This is only a rough guess

Rick R.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, »
Ok thats sounds about right. Sorry I surpassed the N00b mark and reached the Epic fail. LOL Thank You both for your help! well as of right now the most thats on any given channel is about 8 strands.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, by Trevor »

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, »
You can also put more than the alloted power on the board.  For instance I have a section of my show which has 33 of each red white and green C9 bulbs on it.  I know that each of these strings pulls roughly 1.97 amp.  With all these on that about 6 amps just for 3 channels.  I also have a few trees on this boards that also have large power draws.  All told this board pulls more than the allotted power supply if everything is turned on but with the multiple colors for all the elements I rarely draw more than 10 amp on the board.  Just another way to look at power consumption.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, »
You can also put more than the alloted power on the board.  For instance I have a section of my show which has 33 of each red white and green C9 bulbs on it.  I know that each of these strings pulls roughly 1.97 amp.  With all these on that about 6 amps just for 3 channels.  I also have a few trees on this boards that also have large power draws.  All told this board pulls more than the allotted power supply if everything is turned on but with the multiple colors for all the elements I rarely draw more than 10 amp on the board.  Just another way to look at power consumption.

CAUTION!!!

That info is NOT approved by RJ or DLA. RJ who designed all of the LYNX gear has rated each channel at a max of 4amps. Doing the above is at your own risk and is not recommended.

Rick R.

Offline egenoup

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, »
rrowan,

I believe he meant that each 1.97 amp string is on its own channel and the total (if all three channels were on at the same time) is approx 6 amps "for the board".  And thus staying withing the rated capacities for each channel and board, but not necessarily within the 15 amp capacity of a standard home outlet breaker/outlet.

Thanks,

Charles
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, by egenoup »

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, »
Thanks everyone. I am going to stick to the 4amps per channel. Its MORE than enough for what I want to do. Thanks Again!  ;D