Author Topic: The one thing I miss  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
The one thing I miss
« on: November 03, 2010, »
This will be my first year running Lynx express units.  I plan to use them alongside existing LOR units.  The one feature I miss with the Lynx controllers is the ability to use a program to scan the network for controllers.  I currently use this to tell if all my controllers are alive and have not had any communication or power problems.

Is this something that could be programmed into the firmware on the LE along with a Windows GUI to interact with it?

Now please don't take this as a negative as there are other things I like about the Lynx Express or I wouldn't be using them. :)

Offline tbone321

Re: The one thing I miss
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, »
It would take much more than you might think to be able to do that.  DMX does not have any command for that to start with so now you would be creating some type of proprietary communications protocol like LOR uses which defeats the purpose of using DMX to begin with.  Even if you did that, how would the express identify itself as an individual specific unit?  LOR does it with the unit ID where the software queries all possible unit id's and looks for a responce form each one called.  The Express doesn't currently have such an ID and doesn't have an easy way to set it if it were to be included in the firmware.  Then the Lynks dongle is currently an output only device and wouldn't be able to receive any responce from the Express even if it were to send one. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, »
Isn't that the whole idea behind RDM?  Most DIY lighting devices don't support it now, but many can with a firmware upgrade.  I know the dongle doesn't support it (the Enttec PRO does, and the RPM one could with new firmware).  Not sure about the Lynx Express.  When I do my own designs, I always wire up the transmit and direction pins on the '485 just in case I would want to add RDM down the road.  As for unit ID, you could always have some way of programming that in (just like the start address) or add a serial number ROM to each board.

/mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, »
The address isn't an issue and is meaningless as you can set multiple units to the same address if you wish.  What would be needed is a unique unit ID that the system can look for a responce from.  DMX does not support this so as n1ist suggested, you would have to add in RDM.  This would require significant additions and changes to the firmware and I'm not sure that the controllers currently being used have enough memory to store it or that RJ has the time to write, debug and implement it.  All of this however is a moot point because it appears that RJ did not design the current equipment with 2 way communications in mind and no amount of firmware is going to change that.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving