Author Topic: Ather and UV  (Read 2754 times)

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
Ather and UV
« on: October 25, 2010, »
Rj,
          Is there any way to do UV/Black light with the Athers?  It would be great for Halloween for lighting up my cemetery in the front yard.
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline batdive

Re: Ather and UV
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, »
Im not RJ so dont quote me, but UV/Blacklight is a very specific light spectrum.  The Aether (as any RGB) will do a purple, but not to the extent of the blacklight effect.

If you want the halloween black light effect I would look at specifics for that (Blacklight spots/CFL's)

Hope that helps

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, »
i am looking for the flood light capability this unit offers but with black light.
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, »
So you basically want a flood that does UV?

There are a couple different flood styles that you can add LEDs to and you should be able to add UV LEDs to those, but you lose the RGB effect.  Those style floods are cheap enough that you could make a halloween specific ones.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, »
I have used 12vdc LED strips that produce UV and they will cause flourescense (sp?), but perhaps not as bright as from a UV tube type. The problem is that UV material is very spectrum sensitive. If you are using commercial paint products, they should give you the correct frequency spectrum. You need to buy LEDs that are very close to that frequency for maximum effect. If you get an exact match, the difference is amazing.

In case you haven't tried it, a mild solution of Tide laundry detergent, sprayed onto walls and fabric, will glow like crazy under black light.

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, »
Finally had a chance to look up more of the stuff.  Appears to me you might be looking for something like the mighty mini and get some 8mm / 10mm UV LEDs instead of adding RGB LEDs to it.

are examples.

Or something like this (not sure of the light throw)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, by batdive »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, »
Rj,
          Is there any way to do UV/Black light with the Athers?  It would be great for Halloween for lighting up my cemetery in the front yard.

I am afriad the aether does not do UV. I did play with a UV led light design last year for a very special project I hoped would look great in my show but found the UV LED's to be lacking in the area. The Dyes I used just did not show up well. A black light tube I had put it to shame even with a lot of led output. I as the other user said think the wavelength was not in the sweet spot.

Any way I have 3 water pumps and 3 jugs of UV dye, tubing, etc for some "Other" project later since this one failed terrible. And after I got Bill & Keith all excited about it too!

Not every thing works out well I guess.   <md..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Still think you can go UV skiing in the future.  Just watch out for the sun tan...

Keith

;D
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues