Author Topic: New Clock Issue  (Read 3475 times)

Offline ponddude

New Clock Issue
« on: October 27, 2010, »
I am at a little bit of a loss here with my new clock.  I got all the parts from the COOP (thanks Mike!) and assembled one up.  However, when I powered everything up, the whole board lit up.  It was a great test to check the LEDs, but defeats its clock-ish purposes.  I thought it was a firmware issue, so I swaped the PIC and still no luck.  I wanted to reprogram the PIC, but the firmware isn't posted anywhere.  (Mike, if you have it can you post it?)  All my solder joints look good, so I am stuck here.  Suggestions?
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: New Clock Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, »
I don't have one of these but did you attempt to set the time?  This might just be the unset conditon of the clock.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ponddude

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, »
Yes, I should have said that in the first post.

According to the wiki, you are just supposed to press the select button to set the time and press set.  That doesn't do anything for me.
Greg

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, »
I used a homegrown adapter to program the PIC; something may have gone wrong there.  The hex file is now in the wiki, under Equipment->Aeon.
/mike

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, »
That did it Mike...thanks for posting that!!

The firmware didn't get loaded correctly.  1 minute worth of reflashing and we are ticking away!!

Man this clock is going to look great on my wall!!

Thanks again for the COOP work Mike.  Great work!
Greg

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, »
Dang Greg Im jealous you already got one up and running that quick.  As I look at the box I just barely brought home.

Quick question, when I click on the firmware in the wiki i just get the hex file listed.  I saved the page as Aeon.hex as a text file.  Will that work or am I missing something?  Just want to make sure so when I can sit down and build im ready.  I have a pickit 3.

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, »
Just save it as is.  Right click and click on "Save Target As."  Fire up the Microchip software.  I am not 100% certain on PicKit 3 as I don't own one but I would think it was the same as the PicKit 2.  I always use the "Auto Important" feature.  Click that button and it will look for the the .hex file.  Select the Aeon.hex file and click OK.  It was read, write and verify the firmware on the PIC.  Again, I am not 100% certain if the PicKit 3 software is the same, but I would assume so.

Greg

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, »
Jealous! I'm super jealous! I haven't even received a shipping notice yet..... :'(
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, »
Just to report in.  I built my Aeon today and had the same issue.  Clock lit all the lights when powered up but would not program.  I downloaded the hex and reprogrammed the PIC and all is well.

So, if you are seeing this issue chances are you will need to reflash your PIC.

Thanks for running the coop.

Ron

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, »
I bought a Pickit 2 clone with no specific need. Perhaps I'll get to use it!!!