Author Topic: DIP sockets (571-1-390261-2) UPSIDE DOWN?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
DIP sockets (571-1-390261-2) UPSIDE DOWN?
« on: October 27, 2010, »
I just noticed according to the notch on the board I installed one upside down. Will this make a difference in the end?

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: DIP sockets (571-1-390261-2) UPSIDE DOWN?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, »
good question.  I believe it will not be an issue, as long as you are sure to place the chip in the correct direction.  Months later, if you have an issue with that chip and don't remember you place the socket in the wrong direction it could be a problem. REMEMBER to place the chip pin1 into the correct place and do not pay attention to the socket notch, look at the board.  I am not sure I would risk de-soldering the socket for this issue.  I hope someone will chime in to confirm. kbl

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, »
I sure hope its not an issue. Ive never soldered before and have some minor board melting. I dont think that is a problem and things so far are going well except I got one of these upside down.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, »
Upside-down sockets are no problem. Do not take them out to turn them around; you'll do more damage than good.

Do consider marking the correct end of the socket in some way -- white paint (is Witeout correction fluid still made?) is the best.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, »
Now that I know what to look for I'll never make that mistake again.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, »
As previously mentioned just make sure you re-identify the correct PIN 1 position.  I would suggest using something like white nail polish or a silver or gold permanent marker.  I would avoid white out as it often crumbles and disappears over time.  Either way the important part is to make sure you mark and identify it correctly.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, »
OK guess im a little confused!!!

Why would I mark it if its already installed. if It does not matter which way it goes in why mark it? Is there a function ill need to know after its installed that will matter where pin 1 is?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Upside-down sockets are no problem. Do not take them out to turn them around; you'll do more damage than good.

Do consider marking the correct end of the socket in some way -- white paint (is Witeout correction fluid still made?) is the best.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, »
The marking is a suggestion. If you installed the socket the wrong way the marking is to remind you that the #1 pin is not where the notch on the socket is but on the other side (because the socket was installed backwards).

OK guess im a little confused!!!

Why would I mark it if its already installed. if It does not matter which way it goes in why mark it? Is there a function ill need to know after its installed that will matter where pin 1 is?

HTH.

\dmc

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

If, within the future lifetime of the unit, you, for some unknown and unknowable reason, pull the chip out, it's always nice to have a little reminder that you need to pay attention to chip orientation.  May never, ever be an issue.  But, just in case...

Keith

From the Paranoid Production Preparedness People...
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, »
Now that I know what to look for I'll never make that mistake again.

Yeees you willll  ;D   <yk..

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, »
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I finished the Dongle build and took it to knguyen916 to get it programmed and everything is tested and working to specifications.

Thanks for all your help,

Joe