Author Topic: Different LEDs ?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline batdive

Different LEDs ?
« on: October 29, 2010, »
RJ, if you find time in your travels I have a quick question for you as a I stare at the 2nd Aeon to build.

I was thinking since I built the first with the green and red LEDs if I could swap out those colors for blue/yellow (purple / orange... Halloween Aeon) or what not.  If I did that would the resistor value change on any of them or no?

I can just see the next Aeon Coop now.  Choose your board and then the colors =)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Different LEDs ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, »
Mouser lists the Green LED as 2.2vdc
Mouser lists the Red LED as 1.85vdc

At the bottom of the clock, the 33ohm resistor is the limiter for Green
and the 10ohm resistor is the limiter for Red

To use different colors, you would need to change those resistors.  (but only if their nominal voltage changed, or you used an LED with higher or lower current)

Similar LEDs from Mouse (5mm, diffused, 20ma) are:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There is a Green one down the list that is 1000mcd. Very very bright!

Offline lightsoncallaway

Re: Different LEDs ?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, »
I too think it would be nice to be able to use different color LED's. 

I'm having a tough time breaking down the design to figure what resistor I would need to use if I used different LED's.  I think I figured out the green ones, they appear to be powered from the 1117v33c 3.3v voltage regulator and use 2.2 volts, draw 20mA and two are on in a parallel circuit, so the exact calculation would be 27.5ohms, rounded up to the nearest gives the 33ohm resistor.

I'm confused on the red LED's, as if they were powered with 3.3 volts, and only one is powered would mean that a 82ohm resistor would be used.  For there to be a 10ohm resistor, the supply voltage would be around 2 volts or theres another resistor that I am missing.

Does anyone know if I'm correct on my analysis of the green LED's and can help me figure out the red ones?

Thanks,

Curt