Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 175825 times)

Offline batdive

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...and setting up a surprise for my users.

RJ

Oh no more to  <;d over. 

Cant wait to see the sequence with the new mega tree.  Should be cool, as I can only imagine working from 4000 channels in a grid.  <fp.

Offline JJJR

« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2010, »
Oh no more to  <;d over. 

Cant wait to see the sequence with the new mega tree.  Should be cool, as I can only imagine working from 4000 channels in a grid.  <fp.

Just from the little that I've been privileged  to see I can tell you the mega tree will be...............................well lets just say spectacular isn't a big enough word.
Keep an eye out for the vids once the yard is set up!

-JJJR

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2010, »
RJ I have to admit your suspense and surprise is killing me. I am holding out an figure out how many pixels I can buy.  Saving my nickles and dimes. ;) 

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2010, »
These first three (fantom)channels would control the string like the String mode but the next 150 channels would control it as individual nodes. This way you could use them both ways. When the first three (fantom) channels are off then the 150 channels work as nodes and if you turn on the first 3 (fantom) channels then the string then is controlled as a string.

It's a good thing I didn't read this thread sooner, I would have put off this years Christmas display and waited for the Smart Strings!

I think it is a great idea! You get to quickly use the SS in with your existing sequences and get the full use of the SS without re-flashing the controller.
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2010, »
Long time no post.  Glad the lights are still on.  My life is finally stable both in terms of job, location, and finances.   When I sold all my gear off last time...I think I cried a little.

Back on topic, if the price per "pixel" is ~$1, the demand you will generate will probably be massive.  I know in my case, I will probably be in the 1000 pixel range plus quite a few controllers.  I think this would finally give me the setup, and probably others, the grail of all things bright. 

Thanks again...happy thanks giving.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2010, »
I can't wait to see a video of RJ's tree.  I really question 48 strings down to 16 how it's going to look however.

Given a huge budget this is some cool stuff.  I have a hard time seeing how most people can justify the investment though.

I sure hope you prove me wrong because I only have enough minis to last about two more years.

Jeff

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2010, »
I can't wait to see a video of RJ's tree.  I really question 48 strings down to 16 how it's going to look however.

Given a huge budget this is some cool stuff.  I have a hard time seeing how most people can justify the investment though.

I sure hope you prove me wrong because I only have enough minis to last about two more years.

Jeff

Sure!

But next year when I have 48 SS's  BAAAHAAAAAAWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA!!!!!!! I'll take over the World... Oh wait, no I won't, just light up the yard!

No this is a real concern we had was we are reducing the density of lights so there will be an impact. I just can do so much more with them it is a matter of will the additional ability out weight the quanitity.

We will see!

Remeber the seqencing to take avantage of it will be very limited do to me using Vixen and having little time this year to add it in. But I will have some stuff to show it off in the show.

RJ
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2010, »

Sure!

But next year when I have 48 SS's  BAAAHAAAAAAWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA!!!!!!! I'll take over the World... Oh wait, no I won't, just light up the yard!

No this is a real concern we had was we are reducing the density of lights so there will be an impact. I just can do so much more with them it is a matter of will the additional ability out weight the quanitity.

We will see!

Remeber the seqencing to take avantage of it will be very limited do to me using Vixen and having little time this year to add it in. But I will have some stuff to show it off in the show.

RJ

Yeah but the future of them is a lot better than standard strings.   IE making matrixs for animation and scrolling words (vertical or horizontial), curved or s curve style line instead of straight chasing around the mega tree.

I feel your pain on Vixen and have been messing around with LSP to try and start to get a grasp for next year, since I dont think vixen will be moving forward. 

Anyway back on topic...

Also the other items that will attach to the SSC, well when you unveil them.  ;D

-JS

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2010, »
Soon as I get the final product. Factory emailed me they would ship the common stuff in 5 days yesterday.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2010, »
Soon as I get the final product. Factory emailed me they would ship the common stuff in 5 days yesterday.

RJ

COOL more toys

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2010, »
I feel your pain on Vixen and have been messing around with LSP to try and start to get a grasp for next year, since I dont think vixen will be moving forward. 

btw - KC posted on DIYC - Vixen *will* be moving forward for next year hopefully. He has been busy rewriting it from the ground up and is polling folks on which features are important. I think it's safe to say better RGB handling (at a minimum) will be a popular topic... At least we can look forward to Vixen 3.0 in the future.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2010, »

btw - KC posted on DIYC - Vixen *will* be moving forward for next year hopefully. He has been busy rewriting it from the ground up and is polling folks on which features are important. I think it's safe to say better RGB handling (at a minimum) will be a popular topic... At least we can look forward to Vixen 3.0 in the future.

Thats great to hear. I wish KC the best

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2010, »
Great!  More choices for the users.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2010, »

RJ -

This is the same issue I encountered in my testing this year - my display went from 50k lights in 2011 to 35k this year with about 80% RGB.  What I've discovered is that to get the biggest "bang" for the buck, elements that incorporate pixels tend to work best when they are diffused.  Here some good examples that shows un-diffused and diffused in the same element:   (snowflake),  MegaMatrix  and  (Fasica Border).  The diffusion really helps "amplify" the area of light output and gives the appearance of more light.  Of course that is my opinion.  :)

Hey Dave,

Just curious why are you repeating your links about your stuff. You posted the same links 13 days ago. Does this add to RJ's SS lights discussion or just self promotion?

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2010, »

Rick - it is absolutely about the light quanity discussion, hence the direct quote from RJ, I'm sorry if it's viewed as "self promotion" as I have nothing to gain from it other than feeling good about the possiblity of helping others learn from what I've learned during the testing with pixels I did this year.  I'm sorry if I duplicated some links, this is a very long thread.

Thanks,
David

OK

apology accept, I just wanted to remind you that you do post a lot about what you sell in the forums which is fine only in the vendors forum.

Back to talking about RJ's Smart String

Rick R.