Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176094 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2010, »
I don't see much information on the web about PixelNet.  You say this is an open protocol.  Is this correct?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't see much information on the web about PixelNet.  You say this is an open protocol.  Is this correct?

There is a Vixen plugin for PixelNet avaliable right now and LSP is working on one for me as we speak. The protocol is simple and as so it will not be an issue. The Protocol will be published for anyone to use in the Wiki as I get documentation done.

It is my protocol. Yes it will be open when I get done I will post a document to the wiki with the information. No you will not find it on the internet yet except at DLA and maybe never anywhere but here.

Since I have received so many PM aksing so many question I am going to post this in hopes it helps.

The confusion is that PixelNet is the the in between protocol the equipment talks. And it also at the moment is what the Software uses. With the dedicated Dongle for Pixelnet, the software will talk ethernet 1.31 and the in between will still be PixelNet. This is simular to what Phil is working on with his super DMX but I would expect the protocols to be very different. It is not DMX but a better solution to carrying the data to the controllers for high channel count systems.

I came to that conclusion 6 months ago and began working with PixelNet. I had the system ready when I left for vaction but knew there would be too many questions for me to answer while I was on vaction so I waited the 6 weeks til we return to announce it.
Didn't you notice I magically had pcbs made assembled and all the programming done 2 days after I returned.

I just decided to use my Dongle which most users already had to generate pixelnet at first. This gives me a first step 4096 channel solution that is cheap and easy. Then the next step is to release the Ethernet 1.31 dongle (it is my version of a EtherconGate) it is just a simple setup that looks like a DMX dongle and cost in the same area.  This will allow over 16000 channels on the system. 

I wanted to stay RS485 instead of Ethernet in the yard because of a number of reasons :

Cost - cheaper to build simple 485 equipment than Ethernet equipment. no need for switches

Distance - Much greater distance than ethernet when you have a larger area you may need a switch or other device to amp the ethernet . Rs485 pushes out a good ways.

Ablity to daisy chain like we do with the DMX

Ability to split data streams to certain devices at the higher channel count so they would not need to process all traffic to handle there channels.

Gave me more connections to carry power so I would only need one cable to run the strings.

In the end there will be no one system right for everyone. The right system will be the one that works for you.
I designed one for me to allow me to get away with simpler and cheaper and to do what I need and not a bunch of stuff I didn't.
Everyone has differnet needs and this is just one option. If you need a very advanced high tech solution with lots of bells and whistles this is likely not your solution. If you want dirt simple cost effective that will control RGB equipment then it could be your solution. There is sure to be many other choices as we move forward.

In the end you have to choose and while I am happy to point out what I see as good points on mine I will not try to convience anyone that it is the right one for you.  Happy users are the ones that got what they wanted not what they were talked into.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2010, »
Thanks for the Clarification.  I was confused because I found this link and thought somehow it was the same thing.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2010, »
No but that is a neat device.

RJ

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2010, »
Hey RJ,

Looks like I am joining you on this one. I plan on doing a 20 foot 32 strand tree next year. I have seen Mr. Packet's RGB tree and I am wondering about how intuitive the software will be? Will it be pretty easy to program a show or is it going to take a 100 hours for one minute of music. I guess I am asking how difficult it would be to do something like Packethead did?

Thanks,

Sloanhaus

Offline ptone

« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2010, »
RJ,

I'm relatively new and continue to be disappointed by all the LED (non-RGB) dimming behavior i've seen so far when it comes to the low end with slower dims.  How well do these pixels do with dimming at the bottom end?

-Preston
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline fjaust

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2010, »
Hey RJ,

Looks like I am joining you on this one. I plan on doing a 20 foot 32 strand tree next year. I have seen Mr. Packet's RGB tree and I am wondering about how intuitive the software will be? Will it be pretty easy to program a show or is it going to take a 100 hours for one minute of music. I guess I am asking how difficult it would be to do something like Packethead did?

Thanks,

Sloanhaus

i share your concern !! i definately wouldn't want to have to program every pixel.

MPH's mega-tree was done using Madrix, a high-end, professional, very expensive piece of software.

Lightshow Pro has a pattern generator and seems to be the software of choice at the moment for use with RGB nodes where thousands of channels is concerned.

i hear KC is also doing a re-write of Vixen so hopefully he incorporates some nice features for RGB pixels, i'm sure he will since that is the way that everyone seems to be heading.
what would be real nice for the short term would be some pattern generator software that spits out Vixen sequence files.

with so much more control over RGB pixels compared to the light strings we are all used to, in my opinion, a pattern generator is a must in any software to be used for DIY light sequencing.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2010, »
Hey RJ,

Thanks,

Sloanhaus

Only time will tell. I think there is a lot of work going on in the software area so we will have to see. But even with some of the choices now if you do not want to really seqence to the music but make pretty patterns while the music plays this is easy. I want the software to get to a point where I can do both easily. I expect major changes this year in software.

I am at this point planning to move to LSP totally this year. I had not heard about Vixen having a newer version till a few days ago and so will be watching it also. As well as a few other late comers. It will come down to us using what works for us. Up till now Vixen has always met my needs but it current versions will not keep up in the Seqencing area on RGB. Its preformence on the running is great and if KC is coming back up to bat never count it out. Right now LSP is got it over anything we would use. The high end like MPH is using is a little out of most hobbiest price range.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2010, »
RJ,

I'm relatively new and continue to be disappointed by all the LED (non-RGB) dimming behavior i've seen so far when it comes to the low end with slower dims.  How well do these pixels do with dimming at the bottom end?

-Preston

Hum,

What kind of leds and what equipment? I ask because that is not really a compliant I get.

If you get 255 steps and they are resonable linear then it should not look bad. The issue with LEDS is you cannot get the analog smoothing that takes place with a standard light bulb. When you ramp a step with it the power increases and the bulb has to warm up a little to output the additional lights. this does not happen as a step but fades up so you have a case of additional steps of fading happening for you. With an LED when you step and the power increases in about 20 Nanoseconds it is at its new level so it is a digital step. But with all but the leds that are poor at being dimmed it is not that bad.

To answer your question I have no reference to use to compare other than there is not a big difference I notice compared to typical leds. 

RJ

Offline ptone

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2010, »
RJ,

-Preston

Hum,

What kind of leds and what equipment? I ask because that is not really a compliant I get.

I guess side by side with incandescent - a DMX value of 2-3 will be very dim on a incand, but still relatively bright on an LED.  Now my exposure with makes and models is limited, but seems consistent thus far.

I guess, since this is going to be somewhat subjective, I'm asking if you are happy with the curves and color resolution of the LEDs you've been working with in this project (and I assume what will be in the group buy).

-Preston

If you get 255 steps and they are resonable linear then it should not look bad. The issue with LEDS is you cannot get the analog smoothing that takes place with a standard light bulb. When you ramp a step with it the power increases and the bulb has to warm up a little to output the additional lights. this does not happen as a step but fades up so you have a case of additional steps of fading happening for you. With an LED when you step and the power increases in about 20 Nanoseconds it is at its new level so it is a digital step. But with all but the leds that are poor at being dimmed it is not that bad.

To answer your question I have no reference to use to compare other than there is not a big difference I notice compared to typical leds. 

RJ
[/quote]
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2010, »
Yes I am happy with them and believe they dim as well as I have seen.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2010, »
I know! the Sequencing sucks. I threw something together to show. I really can't wait till I get double the strings on there for next year. This thing will rock with a little more filling!

Enjoy the little video  the music is just an add in and does not sync with the lights nor is it the right music

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2010, »
WAY COOL

I can see with this short demo LOTS of possiblities

In the beginning where the lights are spreading out from the center. Instead of a solid color I wonder how it would look to have two colors, like alternate red and green, etc

Thanks for the video

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Livermore-Dad

« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2010, »
HAHA the spiral is a very nice effect and really demonstrates what one can do with the ability to address each node and color.. Very cool sir, love it
Tory

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2010, »
HAHA the spiral is a very nice effect and really demonstrates what one can do with the ability to address each node and color.. Very cool sir, love it
Tory

+1 on that - the spiral is wayyyy cool...