Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176184 times)

Offline csf

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2010, »
That tree looks awesome! I definitely fell that with a product like this less is more.

Offline batdive

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2010, »
Nice job RJ, that looks cool.

-JS

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2010, »
Man.. I have got to unretire and go back to work so I can afford to buy all these toys.  I love it.!!!!!
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2010, »
It looks better than I thought it would with only 16 strings.  Somehow however the price per node will need to come down to make this reachable for the average homeowner.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It looks better than I thought it would with only 16 strings.  Somehow however the price per node will need to come down to make this reachable for the average homeowner.

I have the hardware down to next to nothing so the only real cost on the whole tree is the lights. They will be what comes down but they will only come down so much.

I have ~ $200 in the hardware(16 SSC, Hub, Power supply) not including my dongle which would be ~$50 for someone that had to build one for it. So just over $200 for everything but the lights.

It is a little under $800 for the tree with lights. But I understand and I do not expect RGB node lights to get cheap as standard leds but you never kow what will happen. I built this for barely over what I had in the mega tree with the four color leds before.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2010, »
RJ,

You have come up with something really special here and saying that I am impressed simply doesn't do it justice.  Some including myself have some concerns over light density and the cost per node making increasing it an expensive proposition.  I have an idea that my help.  Is there any way that you could have your manufacturers create a slip on diffuser or perhaps a series of sises that could be placed over the nodes lense and make it appear bigger like they do with the C7 and C9 LED sets. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2010, »
I might be able to but the cost would almost double likely.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2010, »
Since you liked the Swirls this is after a little work on the Sequencing to make it better.  Also a little snow blizzard effect and color blend fall.

RJ

Offline castortiu

« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2010, »
Simply amazing potential…

I have spend $500 in minis for my mega tree, and you bet this is the last mega tree I do with minis, the work I had to do to mount everything was insane, the bright is not wow and the weight and amount of cables is incredible painful.

If I can get 60% of what I have now with the same amount of money then I’ll go for it since SS have many extra benefits like long life, won’t break, bright colors, few cables and amazing potential (as long we can get a software to make use of them).

Cas.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2010, »
$ >.d9  >.d9   <;d

It is becoming a bit embarressing cleaning up the drool from the keyboard.   

Can this be declared a tax deduction for the energy savings....   (gotta find a way to make the pain a little more palatable to SWMBO)....   

Larry

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline batdive

« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2010, »
$ >.d9  >.d9   <;d

Can this be declared a tax deduction for the energy savings....   (gotta find a way to make the pain a little more palatable to SWMBO)....   

Larry

LOL, but I agree.  <;d

RJ, I was waiting for blue and red to be twisting around the tree looks like a DNA Double Helix Mega Tree  ;D.   Nice job with all of it, looks really good.

-JS

Offline tbone321

« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2010, »
I might be able to but the cost would almost double likely.

RJ

Wow!!!  That sounds suprisingly expensive but perhaps I didn't make my idea clear.  What I was suggesting is if you could find a manufacturer in China to just make diffuser caps for the nodes.  I'm not saying that they should attach them to the nodes, just create them.  I think that you will be ordering thousands of nodes when you do the coop for this so the volume for discounts would be there for diffuser caps.  I see them on $11 LED sets in Lowe's so they shouldn't be all that expensive to make, especially at high volumes.  If they really would be as expensive as you sugested they may be then it wouldn't really be worth it. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2010, »
$ >.d9  >.d9   <;d

Larry

Tell me about it.  <fp.

I am keeping my eye out for rainbows and the pot of gold at the end.  ;D

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Just curious, how do you keep track of what start address you have set for your SSC?

Did you mention the size of the pvc pipe?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Just curious, how do you keep track of what start address you have set for your SSC?

Did you mention the size of the pvc pipe?

Thanks

Rick R.

I write on the Cat 5 end

I'm using 4" at the moment but the new pcb's have been shaved to fit in 3" pvc.   Kidding!!!!!!!!!

It is 1" water pipe not the regular pvc. This is the thin wall light stuff that is really cheap. The thicker wall you would need bigger pipe  (1 1/2" ?? ), it would cost more and be heavier.

You get it a HD or Lowes for like I think $1.29 for ten feet.  You can make like 30 of them out of one piece. Can't get a cheaper case. The ends cost more.

once is is complete I pvc glue the bottom end to keep water out. Then the top pops on and of to program/ update.

the tops are tight enough to keep water out but if you worry you can put some silcone rtv around the edge of the cap.

Then you pull the cables tight and then silicone the cables going in both end well and let them dry for a few hours.

So far has worked very well. I forgot to program one string and got the tree up. So I popped the top jumpered it and programmed it on the tree. then popped the top on.

It rained most all day and now the sun is out and I just tried the tree out and have no issues.

RJ