Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176057 times)

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2010, »
Would it be possible to see a comparison of the Smart Strings versus say a string of LED C6's or something similar to give an idea of how much light these give off?
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline petefats

« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2010, »
What is the maximum temperature at the bulb you've recorded a 128 node test string at full load?  I'm curious to know if I can expect them to melt the 12" of snow I expect to fall on them. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ

Can you provide the approx. size of the "hub board"

about 5 x 8
RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2010, »
Would it be possible to see a comparison of the Smart Strings versus say a string of LED C6's or something similar to give an idea of how much light these give off?

I do not own anything like that but you can look on the my shows video and compare it to the M6 led's for CDI that I have thousands on everything around it.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2010, »
What is the maximum temperature at the bulb you've recorded a 128 node test string at full load?  I'm curious to know if I can expect them to melt the 12" of snow I expect to fall on them. 

As I said in my pm they do not get hot so I doubt it. The video where I tested the wires the leds where not a lot above room temp maybe 10 deg F

RJ

Offline richardb

« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2010, »
I read originally that this would be a one time Co-op; then they would be available from 3rd party distributor.
Did I imagine this?  I can't seem to find it again...

My concerns were that if we miss the initial Co-op at the around $.63 per node rate, what could we expect the node prices to change to in the future?
Is the 3rd party a "for profit" organization?  Or something we order from a Chinese distributor for only a slightly elevated price?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2010, »
I read originally that this would be a one time Co-op; then they would be available from 3rd party distributor.
Did I imagine this?  I can't seem to find it again...

My concerns were that if we miss the initial Co-op at the around $.63 per node rate, what could we expect the node prices to change to in the future?
Is the 3rd party a "for profit" organization?  Or something we order from a Chinese distributor for only a slightly elevated price?

the .63 per node is regular price. The coop will hopefully save us some shipping cost from China.

I think the one coop thought is from the amount of time this will take and the new rules from the government

or I could be wrong. Wont be the first or last time  ::)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2010, »
Will the wires on the strings be all different colors or will they be all green?   I'm thinking a mega tree with blue, red and yellow wires might not look too sweet.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2010, »
In the videos the wires look blue (maybe black) and one red wire I didn't see any yellow.

They seem pretty muted compare to the lights

But then again so far RJ is only showing one option, there could be more to come

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2010, »
Will the wires on the strings be all different colors or will they be all green?   I'm thinking a mega tree with blue, red and yellow wires might not look too sweet.

They are Red, Green, Blue.

Funny thing out of all the people that have seen it in the show and during the day not one person has ever said anything about the color of the wire.

They have said alot about the tree after seeing it. But not about the color of the wires.  ;D

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2010, »
Hmm,

I guess its time to get my eyes checked again

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2010, »
I'm curious what the tree looks like in the daytime

Offline egenoup

« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2010, »
Does the string use the 12V or 5v side of the PC power supply?  Or both?

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2010, »
I was just pondering all of the pluses to moving to Smart String nodes, for example to outline the house, such as only having to run one string, individual node control, many many colors, any length from 1 to 128, and another one of the possible benefits poses a question:

Do the nodes connect in parallel with the SS Controller or are they wired in series, from one node to another?

The reason I ask, is one of the benefits I hashed out was that if a node stops working, it's just one lonely node, and it would barely be noticeable, and could be cut out of the string and replaced at the end of the season.  However, then I started wondering if the power and data were being provided through each node to the one next to it, and if say, the first one dies, would the rest die with it?
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline egenoup

« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2010, »
OK, so I went back and re-read most of this topic, there are quite a few entries.  And it seems like you are using the 12v side of the PC power supply (PC correct?)  These usually have a low amperage output on the 12v, but they usually have a high 5v current rating.  What is the current draw of each pixel?  I assume that you have measured the draw of 128 pixels and it is the reason you limited the number of pixels per controller to 128.  I'm just trying to figure out if I would be fine with one PC power supply per hub or should I order a 16A 12v power supplys like the ones I use to charge my RC plane batteries?  These can
take a few weeks to be in stock and can then take an additional few weeks to arrive (from China).  Just trying to plan..

Thanks,

Charles