Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176118 times)

Offline jstjohnz

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2010, »
Do your smart strings use UV-rated wire?
Do you have a spec for the current draw per pixel?
Are you using the TM1804 controller chip?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All good things come to those who wait.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jstjohnz

« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2010, »

All good things come to those who wait.

Cheers

Rick R.

Well, not trying to be difficult, but I guess I'm not sure what that means.  Are these questions that aren't supposed to be asked, or questions that answers aren't available for?  

The question about current draw was asked early in the thread, with an "I'll get back to you" response from RJ I believe.  If there was a follow-up response, I guess I missed it.  It would be useful as far as determining needed power supply capacity for XXX pixels.

As far as the UV question, well there was a Q&A re waterproofness, and I guess I'd put this in the same general category, as in suitability for outdoor use.   A scanof the thread didn't turn up any Q&A about UV.   I'm asking in part because of comments by MPH that his strings use UV wire whereas the majority of the Chinese strings don't. 

And re the controller chip, I know it's been asked about several times in the thread, with no responses that I've found, so I'm assuming that this is info that, for whatever reason,  is being intentionally withheld.    

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, by jstjohnz »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2010, »
RJ's normal policy is to not release info on new hardware until its out in the public. Its his design and his right.

Sorry not even staff have the information you are asking for.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2010, »
And re the controller chip, I know it's been asked about several times in the thread, with no responses that I've found, so I'm assuming that this is info that, for whatever reason,  is being intentionally withheld.   

I can assure you that for as long as I have benn a member , RJ has always answered any ?'s when he has time and if he did not want to he would tell you, very straight forward Man . If you have not got your answers yet there is a good reason I promise you.
Jeff

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2010, »
I am sure rick is commenting on the many post in this thread about the same information. You are correct I have not answered them and have said I would not until I am ready.

MPH's pixels are Chinese made. I understand they are well built also and include UV wire. I just do not want to pay that much for nodes. If I were Walt disney or Sea World I would.

The nodes I use do not have the Black wire that I see called UV wire. all wire is UV resistant it is a matter for how long it is rated.  Since it is designed for years of service in the outside I am not too worried about the cable. At one month a year even if they only lasted 3 years instead of 5 years that would be 36 christmas season. I think they will fail from something else by then.

But I am also the person that was told I could not use the indoor non UV rated extenstion cords and have had some of them in the yard for 5 seasons now. Not one has any cracking or is stiff. And if UV does not get it in Central Florida there is not too many places worst. 

Then there is the issue of Diy users hooking up devices with the wires being all the same color (Black) I think the risk is higher they will burn up stuff than the UV doing it in.

Ultimately the users will decide as always with me. I do not work too hard conviencing people. I build for me and share.

The rest of the information will have to wait for the documents. We are proof reading the first now and the second is almost to that point. I have a video soon to be posted of the other devices for the SSC's.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2010, »
Not sure it matters to me but last year I started putting lights up on October 15th and took down the last piece on Easter. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2010, »
Not sure it matters to me but last year I started putting lights up on October 15th and took down the last piece on Easter. 

Well your hosed man!!! yours won't last but 25 years. Ans we all know you will not replace them with anything newer by then!  ;D

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2010, »
Video info on some additional devices.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2010, »
Cool Video

LOL, dongle in the trash can

Nice light options for everyone

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline batdive

« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2010, »
Video info on some additional devices.

RJ

Let the  <;d begin.    >.d9      >.d9     >.d9

Nice stuff, I agree with you the rigid is really cool and exactly what I was thinking in regards to a LED Triks.  You didnt mention pricing on the rigid, do you have that available yet or soon to come?  Might as well start jabbing the wife while she is in the "Christmas spirit"  ;D

The CCR-esqe stuff would be cool for arches, just zip tie them to the pvc.  Would they bend along that style of curve very well?

-JS

PS: Agree with Rick, dongle in the trash can?  New testing procedure  <md..   ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2010, »
I think they were quoted at like $11 a piece. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2010, »
Heres a picture of the completed Smart String 16 port Hub. This will be the one on the coop once testing is complete. It is a complete unit with both DMX out and a PixelNet repeater on the board. It has options for 12volt only input to allow you to create the 5v and 3.3 volt for the repeater and DMX convertor on board if using only a 12 v power supply.

There is one 8 pin header missing I am aware of this I ran short one.

RJ

Offline ponddude

« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2010, »
RJ,

Lookin' good.  Can  you share the dimensions of the finalized board?  Did you have a case in mind when designing it or is that something we will have to come up with?

Greg
Greg

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2010, »
Nice Board

I understand why its $30 range

Cheers

Rick R.