Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176169 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #270 on: December 20, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ,

Lookin' good.  Can  you share the dimensions of the finalized board?  Did you have a case in mind when designing it or is that something we will have to come up with?

Greg

already did :

I gave up I was trying to find a enclosure that would work with a Power supply and this but nothing worked well so I just built it and leave it up to you guys to fit it into something.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline csf

« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2010, »
RJ that stuff looks great!

The UV stuff I am not so concerned about, I have yet to lose any cords / lights sets yet that I could say were uv damaged.

Do you think they will be pretty resultant to water? Also do you think the smart strings wires are strong enough to hold up to wind while up on a mega tree?

I am seriously considering making all my display upgrades for next year be smart string technology, and I just want to make sure they should be lasting more then one season of decorating.

Also How far away can one rigid stick be to the next rigid stick in a daisy chain?

Thanks again RJ for making this technology available to all of us!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2010, »
I will show some of this in an upcoming video of what I did, What works and even what does not.

RJ

Offline tng5737

« Reply #273 on: December 20, 2010, »
First of all, I haven't read each and every post in this series so please forgive me if this is a duplicate question.   In a previous post you suggest that we NOT focus on node spacing.    But suppose I want to build a mega tree out of these SS - how would I calculate how many nodes I would need for a given tree height and strand count  (i.e, 20ft tall and say 16 individual strands or segments)?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: December 20, 2010, »
First of all, I haven't read each and every post in this series so please forgive me if this is a duplicate question.   In a previous post you suggest that we NOT focus on node spacing.    But suppose I want to build a mega tree out of these SS - how would I calculate how many nodes I would need for a given tree height and strand count  (i.e, 20ft tall and say 16 individual strands or segments)?

The statement was made because there is many different types of nodes and spacing. What RJ used on his mega tree is 3.5 inch spacing between each node.

So 70 nodes would be about 20.42 feet long if my math is correct :)

So 16 x 70 = 1120 nodes

Of course adjust the numbers any way you want.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: December 20, 2010, »

RJ

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #276 on: December 20, 2010, »
I think i'm with RJ on this.  He seems to have his finger on the pulse of "what makes sense" for the enthusiast.  That is a significant skill unto its own.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline csf

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2010, »
I will show some of this in an upcoming video of what I did, What works and even what does not.

RJ

Sounds good :)

Stile really liking the fact that the one meeter light strip is 11$, especially since  the RGB light strips I was thinking of adding to my display were 65$ for one meeter and were not node based... If they keep 30 lights in each strip I will probably perches 30 of them. 

Two other things I thought of that I don't believe were answered yet, that may be helpfully to let us know about.

1) are smart strings / other devices soldered directly to the controller?
2)How long is the flexible ribbon, and how many pixels does it contain?

If these questions are already answered your next video then no need to answerer them, but just trying to keep track of what we know, and things to find out about.

Offline batdive

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2010, »
I think they were quoted at like $11 a piece.  

Ohh nice can get my matrix  ;D

I think it is showing the future since he has it set up to do DMX Universe 1 through 8... HAHAHAHA...

Nice looking board RJ...  <res. as usual!

RJ, on a side note what would be the max draw if you used all 16 ports w/full 128 nodes per port?  Asking reference a power supply as I use this for a different project and it is pretty nice for the 12V out at higher amps, not to mention thinner then an PC power, but the wattage is lower than a PC supply

-JS
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, by batdive »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2010, »
I think they were quoted at like $11 a piece.  

Ohh nice can get my matrix  ;D

I think it is showing the future since he has it set up to do DMX Universe 1 through 8... HAHAHAHA...

Nice looking board RJ...  <res. as usual!

RJ, on a side note what would be the max draw if you used all 16 ports w/full 128 nodes per port?  Asking reference a power supply as I use this for a different project and it is pretty nice for the 12V out at higher amps, not to mention thinner then an PC power, but the wattage is lower than a PC supply

-JS

Thanks but there are 8 dmx universes in 4096 channels.

RJ, on a side note what would be the max draw
The wiki is your friend for that kind of info.

RJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2010, »

Thanks but there are 8 dmx universes in 4096 channels.

Didnt even think of it that way... to busy drooling over the concept of the rigid SSC's =)

The wiki is your friend for that kind of info.

RJ

Look at that, didnt even see that it had been updated with info.  Nice answered my question great. 

Appreciate it thanks RJ

-JS

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #281 on: December 22, 2010, »
Loving those rigid nodes "on a stick" (for those that get that...10points)...but got a quick question....are they built into a aluminum U-Channel that is hollow or is it solid?  Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about window outlines with them.  You could easily file the edge of the housing, bend it to the required length for your window and then apply silicone as well as possibly a corner U-channel bracket and you'd have yourself window lights boxes that you could simply reinstall every year and not have to worry about other ways of installing lights in the windows...PLUS YOU'D HAVE COLOR CONTROL!!! 

Just wondering...I'm getting excited!!

Offline egenoup

« Reply #282 on: December 22, 2010, »
Like in "Jalapeno...."  "on a stick!"...

Egenoup

Offline Dave H

« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2010, »
RJ

Can you provide the approximate diameter of the pixel ??
Is it comparable to say a C9 socket?

Just trying to look ahead as to how to afix the Smart Strings to the fascia and hopefully utilize standard clips which I'll need to pick up in quantity (and cheap) at the "after Christmas sales"

Offline Corey872

« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2010, »
For once, I can hardly wait for this Christmas to be over and next to roll around!  Though I don't know if I'm more excited to use these strings for Christmas or the Halloween haunt!

One quick question:

As I understand it, there was mention of getting smart strings in various lengths.  I assume we also buy the controller board, a component kit, then assemble the board, solder it to the string, etc  to form the complete unit?

If we're putting the stuff together, is there any chance to just buy the nodes in bulk...say a reel of 1,000 then be able to cut off the exact amount needed  - up to the 128 node max stipulated earlier?

My main worry is the thought of framing doors/windows - obviously coming up short is bad, so you'd have to order more than needed and trim.  But then what of the dozen strings of  10, 12, 15 nodes - hack all those back together to make one Frankenstein string?

Well, back to more reading in the wiki!