Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176209 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Loving those rigid nodes "on a stick" (for those that get that...10points)...but got a quick question....are they built into a aluminum U-Channel that is hollow or is it solid?  Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about window outlines with them.  You could easily file the edge of the housing, bend it to the required length for your window and then apply silicone as well as possibly a corner U-channel bracket and you'd have yourself window lights boxes that you could simply reinstall every year and not have to worry about other ways of installing lights in the windows...PLUS YOU'D HAVE COLOR CONTROL!!! 

Just wondering...I'm getting excited!!

They are solid filled you would not be able to do this without ruining them.

The flexible can be bent and cut at different lenghts also.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2010, »

As I understand it, there was mention of getting smart strings in various lengths.  I assume we also buy the controller board, a component kit, then assemble the board, solder it to the string, etc  to form the complete unit?

If we're putting the stuff together, is there any chance to just buy the nodes in bulk...say a reel of 1,000 then be able to cut off the exact amount needed  - up to the 128 node max stipulated earlier?

No I tried that and there is a limit to length they can easily work with.

My main worry is the thought of framing doors/windows - obviously coming up short is bad, so you'd have to order more than needed and trim.  But then what of the dozen strings of  10, 12, 15 nodes - hack all those back together to make one Frankenstein string?

Well, back to more reading in the wiki!

Yes that is exactly what you do is order them close but not short of what you need. Use the left overs to make additional strings.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2010, »
It was pointed out by one of out users that I made a mistake in the protocol document showing the pairs not aligning correctly. I drew it incorrect but will fix the diagram when I get time.

RJ

Offline galgon

« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2010, »
RJ,

What are the dimensions of the rigid SS?   I know the length is 1 meter but what about the height/width.   I am thinking of recessing them in wood for a non Christmas related project.

Thanks.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline robelent

« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2010, »
RJ-

Smart String looks like the wave of the future.

I have a couple of questions on a few things from your video posted on 12/19.

What is the price on the small plastic, and metal 3 node modules.
Also how long is the wire between those units.

Thanks for all you do.

Chris

Offline jekalaka

« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2010, »
Just wondering, how will these work in the below freezing temperature we get up north.  I know sometimes you southerners forget that not all people live on the beach under an umbrella all year round  ;D

Jon

(I don't think this has been addressed yet, but I might have missed it in 20some pages too)

Offline boarder3

« Reply #291 on: December 27, 2010, »
Does anyone know if I was to use these smart strings in vixen would they respond as fast as my normal mini lights or is there a delay? If so how long.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: December 27, 2010, »
Just wondering, how will these work in the below freezing temperature we get up north.  I know sometimes you southerners forget that not all people live on the beach under an umbrella all year round  ;D

Jon

(I don't think this has been addressed yet, but I might have missed it in 20some pages too)

There is documentation in the wiki under equipment that covers this all.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2010, »
Does anyone know if I was to use these smart strings in vixen would they respond as fast as my normal mini lights or is there a delay? If so how long.

Due to them being LEDS and the data rate on the stream they will be faster coming on and off then you standard mini's just like a led string will be faster.

The communcation from the computer to the controllers is the slowest part and you have that on all your controllers but can not see it.

RJ

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2010, »
RJ....Not sure if this is in the correct post string or not.  But based on your video of the 50/50...is there a way to do a cat5 in and out of an item so that you can have multiple lengths using the 50/50s between them?  For instance...is there a way to run off the SSController to an item with 50/50 LED grouping...then go out with a cat5 connection to another item 20 feet way with another set of 50/50 LED groupings, then out with cat5 and into another item?  Or would you simply do that with the actual connecting cables between the 50/50's?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: December 27, 2010, »
RJ....Not sure if this is in the correct post string or not.  But based on your video of the 50/50...is there a way to do a cat5 in and out of an item so that you can have multiple lengths using the 50/50s between them?  For instance...is there a way to run off the SSController to an item with 50/50 LED grouping...then go out with a cat5 connection to another item 20 feet way with another set of 50/50 LED groupings, then out with cat5 and into another item?  Or would you simply do that with the actual connecting cables between the 50/50's?

You would do it with the cables between the 5050 modules. But there is a limit to the distance between them. I do not know what it is but I expect 6 ft to be ok. Beyond that you have to test and find out.

RJ

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #296 on: December 27, 2010, »
RJ,

I'm probably blind on this (I searched this whole thread for the word white), but what does "white" look like?  I'm trying to make sure that the standard strings I buy "blend well".  Thanks.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #297 on: December 27, 2010, »
just wondering if you can have a node spaced about eight feet before installing the next one?  On all my windows I have to string them to the left and then back to the right to finish the border.

Offline Corey872

« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2010, »
RJ,

I'm probably blind on this (I searched this whole thread for the word white), but what does "white" look like?  I'm trying to make sure that the standard strings I buy "blend well".  Thanks.

Because the strings are RGB, I would guess "white" could be about anything you want.  "True" white would be a value of R=255, G=255, B=255, but you could always change it just a bit to get a 'warm' white, 'yellow' white, 'blue' white, etc.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2010, »
Setting the three to 255 does not always make it "true white".  In order for that to happen, all three color LED's would need to be at the correct color temperature and put out exactly the same amount of light.  This seldom happens in the LED world.  With the proper dimming curves you can make them just about any shade of white that you want so with some work, they should blend well with whatever other lights you are using.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving