Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176180 times)

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #315 on: January 02, 2011, »
I think RJ said Plasti-dip

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not sure if this is where to get it, but it is what came up in Google..

Randy

Offline fjaust

« Reply #316 on: January 02, 2011, »
I think RJ said Plasti-dip

Not sure if this is where to get it, but it is what came up in Google..

Randy

thanks randy.

i searched for shops here in AUS and the importer appears to be the only one selling it through an ebay store - and the prices are astronomical !!

214ml (7.2 ounces) = $40 + $25 delivery !!

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #317 on: January 03, 2011, »
I've used Plasti-Dip before but only have seen red and black locally

The thinner is part of their industrial line:

According to the MSDS the thinner is 65% toluene and 35% naphtha.  Which is good to know since I'm not sure if I will be able to get the thinner locally.  Actually, I'm not sure I can get the clear locally.  There are a few places on this list that are around here.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #318 on: January 03, 2011, »
They don't have the UV version prices listed but have every other price and size listed.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: January 03, 2011, »
They don't have the UV version prices listed but have every other price and size listed.

This is were I order mine and I did not use the UV version. This is intended as a guide to what we are doing after testing many different chemicals and ways of doing it.

It is up to you what you do if anything.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #320 on: January 03, 2011, »
I was going to use a material similar to what RJ showed, but I was going to apply it manual with a small stiff bristle brush (hint, a tooth brush works great for this).  If the goal is to protect the area where water can get it, that is where I want to focus.  Also, by using a brush, I think I can be more assured that surface tension won't keep the material out of the crack.  With two people, it is a pretty simple job; one pulls the other person dabs with the brush.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline michaelc

• Robbinsville Caputos
« Reply #321 on: January 03, 2011, »
From the video, it was my understanding the the liquid would get into the housing and coat the chip as well.  Using a brush method may not penetrate as much
Thanks
Michael

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #322 on: January 03, 2011, »
With the number of nodes that will be purchased, I may buy some stock in Plasti-Dip :)

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #323 on: January 03, 2011, »
From the video, it was my understanding the the liquid would get into the housing and coat the chip as well.  Using a brush method may not penetrate as much

I think you are misunderstanding, you don't use the brush to "brush", you use the brush to dab (like people do with dry brush stencilling for example).  This method with the thinned dip will work pretty good.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline Corey872

« Reply #324 on: January 03, 2011, »
I guess the 'ideal' way would be to put the nodes in a chamber, pull a vacuum, then back fill with the dip.  It would automatically be forced into all the small spaces in the node / circuit board.  Down side is, not everyone has a vacuum pump and they are pretty expensive to just buy outright.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #325 on: January 03, 2011, »

I think you are misunderstanding, you don't use the brush to "brush", you use the brush to dab (like people do with dry brush stencilling for example).  This method with the thinned dip will work pretty good.

While I'm sure that it will work well, I believe that it will also be far more time consuming.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: January 04, 2011, »
Yes I am aware that the other group has begun working on higher voltage strings also to get around issues. I am happy they are as 5 volts sucks for this. Thats why I did not waste time on it.

I think from the pm's I've got that the membership has had enough of the constant agenda pushing posts as I have. So I think that will be enough Mr Moore.

RJ

Offline keitha43

« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2011, »
I saw on another forum that Aussiephil had to purchase a new computer with 5g of ram with Vixen to run his pixel Megatree this year.  RJ, did you have to have a really powerful computer to run yours? The computer I run my show with is usually my least powerful one. And if it did require said ubercomputer, do you think the revamped software designs for 2011 can compensate for this so we all don't have to replace our show computers? Maybe the Prancer and LSP developers can respond to this and hopefully put my fears to rest. I guess being a relative RGB newbie it didn't occur to me by increasing my channel count by a factor of 10 might require hardware much more powerful.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2011, »
I ran my show on my wifes computer

The memory issue is that you have to have enough to load the seqences into since that is how Vixen works. Also sending pixelnet data out the usb to a dongle likely does not take as much effort since it does not have the over head of the ethernet protocols.

I also did not run as many channels as he did.

If your planning 10,000 channels you might want to think about how you intend to run it.

RJ

Offline keitha43

« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2011, »
Thanks, since I will be starting with around 2500 channels I guess I need to just set it up in the backyard and see if it can run it whenever the hardware arrives and I get the new versions of software programs. Any idea of when I can get one of your dongles as I have a different dmx dongle. I didn't know if your usb ones are still available or if I need to wait for your new version.