Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176062 times)

Offline shaunkad

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #330 on: January 04, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks, since I will be starting with around 2500 channels I guess I need to just set it up in the backyard and see if it can run it whenever the hardware arrives and I get the new versions of software programs. Any idea of when I can get one of your dongles as I have a different dmx dongle. I didn't know if your usb ones are still available or if I need to wait for your new version.
RJ had posted that he is out of dongles but will be cooping them with the smart string.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #331 on: January 04, 2011, »
Thanks. Somehow I missed that post.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2011, »
RJ,

You have come up with something really special here and saying that I am impressed simply doesn't do it justice.  Some including myself have some concerns over light density and the cost per node making increasing it an expensive proposition.  I have an idea that my help.  Is there any way that you could have your manufacturers create a slip on diffuser or perhaps a series of sises that could be placed over the nodes lense and make it appear bigger like they do with the C7 and C9 LED sets.  

I know I am new to DLA but wanted to get involved with this thread since the smart strings are kinda cool. With the sound of it there are a lot of people interested in using these to replace C9's. With that said, RJ has said the diameter of the nodes are ~0.5in and making a diffuser would probably double the cost. So, I have a set of clear C9 Holiday Time LED's from Walmart that I pulled one of the diffusers off and the opening is ~0.5in also. Take into account the 50% after Christmas sales and a box of 25 C9 LED's cost $3.50, get lucky with 75% off and its $1.75 a box. I am sure there are better ones to use but these certainly are cheap.

I guess the point of my post is to find out if it might be possible to have some different diffusers checked to see if they can be used and what they would look like at night? Maybe put them on before waterproofing?

Thoughts?

Rich
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, by NavyGator »

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #333 on: January 04, 2011, »
I'll be working that issue actually.  I have about 100 clear difusers from crappy 1/2 wave c9 LED strings.  If these work, I guess i'll be hunting for a place to try and order them from.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2011, »
I will be interested to see what you guys come up with.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2011, »
I think this might have been said somewhere in this huge post, but ping pong balls may work too.  I just a really quick and dirty Google search and Amazon has sellers that sell a packs of 144 for 33 bucks.  Thats about .22 cents a piece.  Not really cheap but if you aren't going with thousands of nodes to be diffused it could be an option.  I bet the effect is going to be pretty neat too.
Greg

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2011, »
I think this might have been said somewhere in this huge post, but ping pong balls may work too.  I just a really quick and dirty Google search and Amazon has sellers that sell a packs of 144 for 33 bucks.  Thats about .22 cents a piece.  Not really cheap but if you aren't going with thousands of nodes to be diffused it could be an option.  I bet the effect is going to be pretty neat too.
It was said and a few people shot it down saying they dent and break to easy. I think that the diffuser needs to be clear as the frosted white may take away from  the light output.
 Thanks Shaun

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2011, »
I myself had no dislikes for the mega tree with the plain node. The Tree looked as good as it did in years past with regular leds.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2011, »
ok, so I just finished reading all 35 pages on these, and had a couple of ideas (RJ you have an e-mail) wondered what other users thought.  A few were briefly discussed but I wanted to throw it our there to see if anyone would bite.

What about adding "phantom" addresses that would allow you to group smart stings together under a single channel?  For instance, you could "group" all the strings on your mega tree so that a single command sent to a single channel would control every pixel on every string used on the mega?  You could put everything on the roof together into a group, all your mini trees into a group, all your arches into a group, etc.  This would allow elements that are often used together to be more easily programmed without completely giving up the individual pixel control.  i.e. if you had say 6 "groups" of elements, you could have as little as 18 channels to control the entire show but still utilize individual channels when you want them.

Second, it was briefly mentioned that the chips could be programmed with their own routines.  What if every smart string came pre-loaded with, say, 12 different pre-programmed effects.  Think a cycling color fade over 30 seconds or something.  Very similar to the "multi function controllers" on traditional strings.  when no data stream is sent, the smart strings revert to their pre-programmed effect.  so when my show isn't running I could still have the smart strings doing their thing, cycling through colors, twinkling individual pixels like falling snow, or whatever all in unison?  When the show starts they respond to the pixel-net command being sent.

Just thought I would throw these out there to see if there was any interest, trying to compare features on all the technology out there.  can't wait to see what else comes out in the next 12 months.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2011, »
What about adding "phantom" addresses that would allow you to group smart stings together under a single channel?  For instance, you could "group" all the strings on your mega tree so that a single command sent to a single channel would control every pixel on every string used on the mega?  You could put everything on the roof together into a group, all your mini trees into a group, all your arches into a group, etc.  This would allow elements that are often used together to be more easily programmed without completely giving up the individual pixel control.  i.e. if you had say 6 "groups" of elements, you could have as little as 18 channels to control the entire show but still utilize individual channels when you want them.

I use LSP software and this can be done using it. Not sure if it is available in LOR or Vixen however.

Thanks
Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2011, »
ok, so I just finished reading all 35 pages on these, and had a couple of ideas (RJ you have an e-mail) wondered what other users thought.  A few were briefly discussed but I wanted to throw it our there to see if anyone would bite.

*** This what what the software programmers are talking about. Please see the Prance and Xlights threads on this subject. ***

Second, it was briefly mentioned that the chips could be programmed with their own routines.  What if every smart string came pre-loaded with, say, 12 different pre-programmed effects.  Think a cycling color fade over 30 seconds or something.  Very similar to the "multi function controllers" on traditional strings.  when no data stream is sent, the smart strings revert to their pre-programmed effect.  so when my show isn't running I could still have the smart strings doing their thing, cycling through colors, twinkling individual pixels like falling snow, or whatever all in unison?  When the show starts they respond to the pixel-net command being sent.

*** Sounds like a nice idea for future versions of Smart Strings (just a firmware update). The main goal was to have a basic and cheap smart string controller ***

Just thought I would throw these out there to see if there was any interest, trying to compare features on all the technology out there.  can't wait to see what else comes out in the next 12 months.

just my 2 cents

My answers are in the above quote with Navy blue and bold text

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #341 on: January 05, 2011, »
FYI RJ has stated that sending him a E-MAIL is not the way to contact him, you need to send a PM your message gets lost in a E mail
Jeff

Offline tng5737

« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2011, »
In the wiki on the Power requirements of the SS it cites an example of 16 full channels of 128 nodes.   My question is this possible?
with the  current pixelnet dongle limit of 4096 max channels, minus 1 (for the control byte of 170) max chans is 4095.  If RGB then 3 chans per node will give  4095/3 = 1365 nodes.    The example gave 128 nodes per string so 1365/128 = 10.67 strings max.     Or 10 full strings with an eleventh string of 85 nodes.    You could  use all 16 available hubs but some of them would have to be less than the full 128 nodes.
Is this correct?

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #343 on: January 05, 2011, »
A full hub of 16 strings of 128 nodes would not be possible with the 4096 channels available using the dongle, however RJ is working on a pixelnet transmitter thingy (technical term) that will serve up considerably more (like 16,000 I believe) channels than the 4096 of the current dongle. So to max out a hub with 16 strings of 128 (16*128*3=6144 channels) you would have to wait for his new design that can handle more channels.

A quote from the first post in this thread
The system has been designed to be upgradeable next year to over 16,000 channels allowing you to run larger shows on this same equipment with a new simple and cheap dongle.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #344 on: January 05, 2011, »
...limit of 4096 max channels, minus 1 (for the control byte of 170) max chans is 4095...

The way I read the document
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
      start of packet                       Data                   
        Value 170 sent                     4096 channels of data value 170 not allowed. 
    Then repeat with no delays. 
The 170 is sent, and then 4096 bytes of channel data are sent, so you would not need to subtract one from it.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login