Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176172 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #345 on: January 05, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the wiki on the Power requirements of the SS it cites an example of 16 full channels of 128 nodes.   My question is this possible?
with the  current pixelnet dongle limit of 4096 max channels, minus 1 (for the control byte of 170) max chans is 4095.  If RGB then 3 chans per node will give  4095/3 = 1365 nodes.    The example gave 128 nodes per string so 1365/128 = 10.67 strings max.     Or 10 full strings with an eleventh string of 85 nodes.    You could  use all 16 available hubs but some of them would have to be less than the full 128 nodes.
Is this correct?

Very close but not exact.

The PixelNet send 4096 channels of data + the start code so no need to subtract the 1

First some info :

I think the confusion is that the limit of a smart string is 128 nodes. This is only for power reasons. There is no lenght of a smart string. In other words 128 nodes is not a smart string. Most people will not end up using lots of 128 node strings because with the cheapness of the controller there is no reason to limit yourself that way.

A hub can be filled up to the amount of power given it up to 16 strings of smart strings. Now there will not be enough channels in one universe to handle each node on its own channels.

If you want 16 strings all the same length with each node on seperate channels then you would stay with 25 ft strings of 85 nodes.

But remember if you are using string mode on any of them, then you are only using three channels to control the whole string.

Hope this helps.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #346 on: January 05, 2011, »
Ok, I understood the 128 limit being one of power...  However, part of your response confuses me   "...there will not be enough channels in one universe to handle each node on its own channels. "       This 'universe' is not DMX (512) it is pixelnet.  There can be 4 universes on a cable with universe #1 being the default.    So how big is a universe?  4096?

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2011, »
with the  current pixelnet dongle limit of 4096 max channels, minus 1 (for the control byte of 170) max chans is 4095.

What cBell said, except I wanted to make sure you understand that you don't have the 170 thing down correctly ... 170 is not the channel, it's a light level.

(BTW, 170 in decimal, is 10101010 ... and now you know why RJ picked it).

Under RJ's protocol, 170 will never be transmitted as a light level ... if your software (Vixen, etc.) sends a 170 to the dongle/Ethernet board, it will automagically change it to 171. The only time 170 will show up is as a break character.

So there will be 4096 available channels (though I don't understand how that works in Base 3).

\dmc

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2011, »
Yes a PixelNet universe is 4096 channels or 1365 nodes of rgb. The PixelNet design carries four of these over the same cat5 cable. For a total of  16,384 channels or 5461 nodes of rgb.

Then like DMX you would add another PixelNet Dongle and double that.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2011, »
A full hub of 16 strings of 128 nodes would not be possible with the 4096 channels available using the dongle, however RJ is working on a pixelnet transmitter thingy (technical term) that will serve up considerably more (like 16,000 I believe) channels than the 4096 of the current dongle. So to max out a hub with 16 strings of 128 (16*128*3=6144 channels) you would have to wait for his new design that can handle more channels.

A quote from the first post in this thread
The system has been designed to be upgradeable next year to over 16,000 channels allowing you to run larger shows on this same equipment with a new simple and cheap dongle.

You still would not because a hub only supports one universe of pixelnet. So when you set the universe for it you only have that 4096 channels on that hub. Hope that clears it up.

But here is what will get you guys to understand better.

The power to operate a full 16 string of 128 is high enough that the power supply will be expensive. It makes more sense to split them to two hubs with smaller power supplies that are cheap. You can save money doing so. Also remeber that the 16 port hub is the first one. I have other sizes coming out that are smaller,simplier and very cheap like four port units.

Heres where it gets cool. you will plug these passive hubs into the output of the Active 16 port hub to get your data and you add power at the passive to group strings.

But have to get one step taking before the next. Be patient

RJ

RJ

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2011, »
You still would not because a hub only supports one universe of pixelnet. So when you set the universe for it you only have that 4096 channels on that hub. Hope that clears it up.

I stand corrected, but after thinking about it a bit, that makes sense that a hub would only support 4096 (one universe) channels.  Thank you for clearing that up.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2011, »
For those of you who are looking for the clear Plasti-dip, I just found out today that while Ace Hardware does not normally stock it in the stores, they can special order it for you.  I ordered the 14.5 oz can (the standard size) for $12.99 and since it is shipped directly to the store, no shipping cost for me.  They can't get the thinner, but with the MSDS I can probably mix up a batch.  They told me it would take 2-3 weeks to get here.  Not like I need it right away anyway.

The Ace worker was able to pull it up on their computer, but just in case your local store has a problem finding it, the SKU on my receipt is 1381235

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2011, »
Naphtha will thin according to the company that makes it.  if you can get it easier.

I just used the official thinner.

RJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2011, »
RJ got a little confused with the above posts.  As I understand it the current Lynx to Pixelnet dongle is limited to the 4096 chs, but the "future" pixelnet dongle it wont have the 4k limit but instead the 16k channel limit.

Do I have that correct or no? 

Secondly since you started the dongle PCB coop, I know there was some mention of a dongle with the SSC's is that going to be the current dongle (as PCB and kit?) or is the pixelnet one going to be released with the nodes?  This part im trying to plan based on the current coop.

Thanks in advance and sounds like some great stuff coming out.

-JS

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: January 06, 2011, »
RJ got a little confused with the above posts.  As I understand it the current Lynx to Pixelnet dongle is limited to the 4096 chs, but the "future" pixelnet dongle it wont have the 4k limit but instead the 16k channel limit.

Secondly since you started the dongle PCB coop, I know there was some mention of a dongle with the SSC's is that going to be the current dongle (as PCB and kit?) or is the pixelnet one going to be released with the nodes?  This part im trying to plan based on the current coop.

Thanks in advance and sounds like some great stuff coming out.

-JS
Yes the current lynx dongle is 4k channels with pixelnet firmware and the future dongle will be 16k

The current coop is for the lynx dmx dongle and all dmx dongle coops are pcb only

I don't know when the 16k dongle will be released but I would plan to use 4k dongle for the short term. The new dongle is not even in beta yet as far as I know. We might have it this year or might not, I would think it depends on time to build and beta it.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #355 on: January 06, 2011, »
RJ got a little confused with the above posts.  As I understand it the current Lynx to Pixelnet dongle is limited to the 4096 chs, but the "future" pixelnet dongle it wont have the 4k limit but instead the 16k channel limit.

Yes, you are correct.  The current PixelNet dongle is just the standard dongle reflashed to work in the PixleNet and supports 1 PixelNet universe.  The new dongle if I got this right is a new piece of equipment that will support 4 PixelNet universes which gives you 16000 channels.

Secondly since you started the dongle PCB coop, I know there was some mention of a dongle with the SSC's is that going to be the current dongle (as PCB and kit?) or is the pixelnet one going to be released with the nodes?  This part im trying to plan based on the current coop.

According to RJ, the PixelNet dongle will be released at a later time.  He mentioned in another thread that it has not been beta tested yet and RJ doesn't release untested equipment.  It might not even be built yet and RJ didn't mention how far along it currently is, just that it will be released at a later date.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #356 on: January 06, 2011, »

....Also remeber that the 16 port hub is the first one. I have other sizes coming out that are smaller,simplier and very cheap like four port units.

Heres where it gets cool. you will plug these passive hubs into the output of the Active 16 port hub to get your data and you add power at the passive to group strings.

But have to get one step taking before the next. Be patient

RJ

RJ

Hey RJ, I like the idea. I was thinking and came up with an idea and of course just an idea.

Why not create one type board that can be upconverted to 8 or 16 channel boards, etc in multiples of 4 or have the ability as you say turn into passive hubs? This way there is only 1 type of board and not multiple types?

I.e. 2 x 4 port boards can be connect by a connecter that transfer data and power to turn it to a 8 port hub or put power to both to get 2 x 4 port hubs? I think i'm explaining it correct. Added a cheesy diagram.

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2011, »
RJ,

Please add 2 to my request for PCBs for a total of 6.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline tbone321

« Reply #358 on: January 06, 2011, »
RJ,

Please add 2 to my request for PCBs for a total of 6.

Thanks,
Jon

You need to make this request in the coop thread
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #359 on: January 06, 2011, »
Glad to see RJ's announcement this afternoon.  Gives me a lot of faith and respect for him.  All the speculation, etc. was for naught, probably a lot of red faces on some of those sites today.   <la.. Thanks for all the hard work and legwork to make sure we are legal, is there anything you don't think of?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login