Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176121 times)

Offline batdive

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ got a little confused with the above posts.  As I understand it the current Lynx to Pixelnet dongle is limited to the 4096 chs, but the "future" pixelnet dongle it wont have the 4k limit but instead the 16k channel limit.

Do I have that correct or no?  

Secondly since you started the dongle PCB coop, I know there was some mention of a dongle with the SSC's is that going to be the current dongle (as PCB and kit?) or is the pixelnet one going to be released with the nodes?  This part im trying to plan based on the current coop.

Thanks in advance and sounds like some great stuff coming out.

-JS
Yes the current lynx dongle is 4k channels with pixelnet firmware and the future dongle will be 16k

The current coop is for the lynx dmx dongle and all dmx dongle coops are pcb only

I don't know when the 16k dongle will be released but I would plan to use 4k dongle for the short term. The new dongle is not even in beta yet as far as I know. We might have it this year or might not, I would think it depends on time to build and beta it.

Cheers

Rick R.

Thanks Rick appreciate it.  Also thanks tbone =)

-JS
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, by batdive »

Offline Livermore-Dad

« Reply #361 on: January 06, 2011, »
Glad to see RJ's announcement this afternoon.  Gives me a lot of faith and respect for him.  All the speculation, etc. was for naught, probably a lot of red faces on some of those sites today.   <la.. Thanks for all the hard work and legwork to make sure we are legal, is there anything you don't think of?

Must of missed something.. link, pointer?

Never mind, saw it read it..  Means little if you don't believe into internet BS.. But nice that the SS coop is on the horizon

-Tory
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, by Livermore-Dad »

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #362 on: January 06, 2011, »

I've been going back and forth with quite a few different decorators and we're all in the same boat, trying to make a decision.  I figured the whole thing would blow over but it was something a few of them were concerned over.  glad that's all past now.  ;D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tng5737

« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2011, »
Is the firmware for the pixelnet available.   I have the dongle pcb and parts and setup the PicKit3 with the pic and discovered I don't have the .hex file.  Checked the wiki but didn't find the firmware.   

Offline inzeos

« Reply #364 on: January 07, 2011, »
Is the firmware for the pixelnet available.   I have the dongle pcb and parts and setup the PicKit3 with the pic and discovered I don't have the .hex file.  Checked the wiki but didn't find the firmware.   

Firmware is not released yet to the general user community.  I believe RJ has mentioned in passing that the firmwares are getting closer to final release.

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2011, »
How can I use smart strings to outline my whole house? If each string has a max of 128 nodes and 40 feet long that won't line even the front of my house? I want to be able to chase from string to string, change colors on all strings at once, change colors on some sections and leave others a differnt color. Like changing window colors then, roof line then gutter line and so on. So if I read the posts right, I will only be able to use 16 smart strings at 40 feet each and will need one hub to be able to use 16 strings. So I will need extension cables from the hub to some of the smart strings that will run end to end.
David

Offline tbone321

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2011, »
One thing that you have to take into account is how many channels you intend to program.  Remember that each pixel uses 3 channels so a single 128 node string will use 256 channels. Multiply that by 16 and you get 4096 fun channels to program.  The idea is not to use just 1 hub as doing that AND maxing it out will require you to use an expensive power supply as well as run long cable to the controllers.  I would use a few hubs to reduce the power demand on each hub and reduce wire lenghts.  As for the lenghts, you can always use more than 1 string if you need more than 4 feet and just address the nodes in order which will make it behave as 1 giant string.  You can put the strings in hybrid mode which lets you control the entire string like string mode and still control individual nodes when you want to.  There are a lot of possibilities wih smart strings and for the most part you will oly be limited by your imagination and creativity.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline keitha43

« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2011, »
Does each Smart String controller and/or hub have a PIC that will need to be programmed like the USB dongle?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2011, »
Yes,

Their is a pic that generates DMX from the pixelnet.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2011, »
One thing that you have to take into account is how many channels you intend to program.  Remember that each pixel uses 3 channels so a single 128 node string will use 256 channels.

Math was a little off  ;D... 128 node is 384 chs or a couple more with the Hybrid mode for the phantom channels.

Multiply that by 16 and you get 4096 fun channels to program.

Actually my understanding is the 4096 limit is from the current Lynx Dongle's limitations in the throughput of the PixelNet with the modified firmware.  The future Pixelnet dongle will send out 16K channels.

That is my understanding up to this point from what I have read from RJ.  I know he will step in if this is incorrect, but hope that helps.

-JS

Offline keitha43

« Reply #370 on: January 11, 2011, »
Okay I just ordered the pickit 3 that everyone is recommending on ebay. I see there is beta software on the WIKI. Will the process be pretty self explanitory or will it come with good instructions?

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #371 on: January 11, 2011, »
Pickit 3 on Ebay? What is that?

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #372 on: January 11, 2011, »
Ok that is an idea to use more hubs to be able to spread things out. But then won't it cost more because each hub will need a water tite box as well as my time to build each hub? And making  up extension cords or even buying them premade in different lengths for the smart strings would be easer maybe.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #373 on: January 11, 2011, »
One thing that you have to take into account is how many channels you intend to program.  Remember that each pixel uses 3 channels so a single 128 node string will use 256 channels.

Math was a little off  ;D... 128 node is 384 chs or a couple more with the Hybrid mode for the phantom channels.

LOL, thank you. That's what I get for answering it at 3:00AM.

Multiply that by 16 and you get 4096 fun channels to program.

Actually my understanding is the 4096 limit is from the current Lynx Dongle's limitations in the throughput of the PixelNet with the modified firmware.  The future Pixelnet dongle will send out 16K channels.

The 4096 limit is a full pixelnet universe.  The current dongle limit is that it can only output 1 universe.  The new dongle when it become available will use all 4 pairs to output 4 universes which will give you to the 12000 channels that you are thinking of but even here if I understood RJ correctly, each hub can only work with one universe so the limits on the hub minus the math errors are still valid.

That is my understanding up to this point from what I have read from RJ.  I know he will step in if this is incorrect, but hope that helps.

-JS
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, by tbone321 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #374 on: January 11, 2011, »
Pickit 3 on Ebay? What is that?

The Pickit 3 is a microcontroller programmer that is used to program or load the firmware for the pics.  It is not very expensive and should be purchasd by everyone that is serious about this hobby.