Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 175786 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow...almost 1300 bucks to fill a hub and thats just for the strings!!  :o

I knew I needed a second job for a reason!!   :P

If you use 128 node strings (40 ft long) and do 16 of them then yes.

I am replacing my mega tree with 16 strings 70 nodes long. This is costing me $705.  

This is replacing 48 strings of 70 leds from CDI that average $13 a piece. This cost $624 and allowed me to do red, green, blue, white.

The smart string hardware is costing me ~$30 for a hub and ~$120 for controllers So $150 total.

The 3 Expresses to run the normal leds cost $65 for $195 total.

So Smart String mega tree = $855

The Standard LED 4 color mega tree = $819

It is true that leds are not cheap but we all knew this.

So it is hardly more and I can do any color and control all the leds instead of only strings.  I do not think it is bad looked at what it replaces.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, »
Here is the questin that has been sorta asked but never clearly.... Is there going to be a wireless solution for pixelnet itself?

Not in the works at the moment. But never say never.

RJ

Offline ponddude

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, »
Wow...almost 1300 bucks to fill a hub and thats just for the strings!!  :o

I knew I needed a second job for a reason!!   :P

If you use 128 node strings (40 ft long) and do 16 of them then yes.

I am replacing my mega tree with 16 strings 70 nodes long. This is costing me $705.  

This is replacing 48 strings of 70 leds from CDI that average $13 a piece. This cost $624 and allowed me to do red, green, blue, white.

The smart string hardware is costing me ~$30 for a hub and ~$120 for controllers So $150 total.

The 3 Expresses to run the normal leds cost $65 for $195 total.

So Smart String mega tree = $855

The Standard LED 4 color mega tree = $819

It is true that leds are not cheap but we all knew this.

So it is hardly more and I can do any color and control all the leds instead of only strings.  I do not think it is bad looked at what it replaces.

RJ

I wasn't questioning it at all RJ.  It think its great.  I most likely will be in for 16 strings.  I personally don't have the "standard" mega tree, I have a Z-Tree and I think the effects with RGB lighting will be amazing.  I know I have thousands of dollars worth LEDs from Paul for the tree (my wallet knows too).  Adding these RGB strings will really be a nice feature....
Greg

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, »
I did not think you did. I just like you know we all got going with Grinches and $1 standard after christmas lights and the next thing you know   <md..

It's high channel multicolor Led systems using lasers reading the movements of the audience to adjust the show to fit their mood!  <fp.

Oh wait were not releasing that til next week   ;D.

RJ
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, by RJ »

Offline batdive

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, »
Mega Tree and a form of making a LED Triks (RGB color baby) Is what I am in for.  Cool tech RJ as usual, dazzle us with a clock and then wham this. 

<res.

-JS

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, »
I am almost afraid to think of what you could do if you did not have a full time job and could dedicated all your time to designing this stuff.  But then again I'm not sure my wallet could take it either.

Another great design.  Thanks
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline inzeos

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, »
Looks great.  Wish the coop was starting after the holiday season!

The coop is planned to run until Mid January.

RJ

Great, so it is reasonable to expect that we can send in payments then in January?  Had to tighten in the budget a bit expensive year with our first house, first baby, first $7,000 dollars of house taxes and first attempts at being blinky ;)  I will let the audience in general figure out what is more costly, eheheheh.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, »
My wife will not be getting much for Christmas this year.
I need Smart Strings.
I am sooooooo addicted.
RJ, please slow down. My wallet hurts.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, »
This is an amazing development. The cost point here is excellent.  <res.

RJ,

It is not clear to me from reading this but I get the impression that the strings can be cut to size and adapted.  IS that true? Also, each of the string controllers can go up to 128 nodes, can one string controller handle two strings of 64 nodes (or any other combination)?  I got the impression that was possible but it is not 100% clear.

Anyway you slice it this is a huge development

Frank

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, »
RJ

What is the spacing between the nodes so we can figure the lengths we need & will we be able to order any length or will there be set lengths.

Mike

Offline scharbon

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, »
I need Smart Strings.
I am sooooooo addicted.

John

Silly,
  Kill two birds with one stone.  My wife is getting smart strings for Christmas.  Won't she be surprised!! ;D

Steve

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, »
RJ -

While in discussion with someone else who is on the "professional" side of RGB pixels, he mentioned the large patent portfolio that Philips owns.  Here a document that explains what their patents apply to:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm not sure if this is FUD or real.  Of course for $500 shipments from China, this stuff isn't an issue but for $100k+ of stuff, these seem to become issues.

Is this an issue for the strings that will be imported?

Not sure what this has to do with them. If you are talking about the MPH issues with the Ws2801 the patents that are a problem with them are not an issue on these says the Manufactor.

RJ

Do you trust what the manufacturer has to say who really just wants to get sales. If planning a large shipment i would find out what possible patent exists with Phillips and RGB LEDs and what possible impact there maybe with the Phillips patent as it could start up litigation and the lights being stopped by customs.
I would do further investigation as i wouldn't just trust what the Chinese supplier believes as this could end up being a very costly oversight if there is a patent on the RGB leds that Phillips owns and the stock is stopped by customs and litigation is started by Phillips.
On saying the above, if your using the Phillips Chromasic 1 chip for the LEDs in the string then this will bypass any of Phillips RGB patents and there shouldn't be any issue, so i am told.

RJ they look like a great refinement of the technology and you should be commended for your great efforts. My only issue (unless you have secret plan) is that it only focuses on strings and now days there are a lot of different RGB options out there like strips, modules etc, which all have their installation benefits.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, »
I need Smart Strings.
I am sooooooo addicted.
John
Silly,
  Kill two birds with one stone.  My wife is getting smart strings for Christmas.  Won't she be surprised!! ;D
Steve

I told my wife about this and she said "don't let this give you any ideas",  damn it ;D, one less present she's goina get.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, »
RJ -

While in discussion with someone else who is on the "professional" side of RGB pixels, he mentioned the large patent portfolio that Philips owns.  Here a document that explains what their patents apply to:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm not sure if this is FUD or real.  Of course for $500 shipments from China, this stuff isn't an issue but for $100k+ of stuff, these seem to become issues.

Is this an issue for the strings that will be imported?

Not sure what this has to do with them. If you are talking about the MPH issues with the Ws2801 the patents that are a problem with them are not an issue on these says the Manufactor.

RJ

Do you trust what the manufacturer has to say who really just wants to get sales. If planning a large shipment i would find out what possible patent exists with Phillips and RGB LEDs and what possible impact there maybe with the Phillips patent as it could start up litigation and the lights being stopped by customs.
I would do further investigation as i wouldn't just trust what the Chinese supplier believes as this could end up being a very costly oversight if there is a patent on the RGB leds that Phillips owns and the stock is stopped by customs and litigation is started by Phillips.
On saying the above, if your using the Phillips Chromasic 1 chip for the LEDs in the string then this will bypass any of Phillips RGB patents and there shouldn't be any issue, so i am told.

RJ they look like a great refinement of the technology and you should be commended for your great efforts. My only issue (unless you have secret plan) is that it only focuses on strings and now days there are a lot of different RGB options out there like strips, modules etc, which all have their installation benefits.

Thats for the concern but I feel I have it well at hand.

Thanks but as I am sure you know I rarely talk about future stuff.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, »
This is an amazing development. The cost point here is excellent.  <res.

RJ,

It is not clear to me from reading this but I get the impression that the strings can be cut to size and adapted.  IS that true? Also, each of the string controllers can go up to 128 nodes, can one string controller handle two strings of 64 nodes (or any other combination)?  I got the impression that was possible but it is not 100% clear.

Anyway you slice it this is a huge development

Frank

A Smart String is a SS controller and XXX number of lights. So it can have between 1 and 128 lights on it.

You can cut the strings anywhere you want. The controllers do not run two strings but are attached at the end of the string. So two strings of 64 use two SS controllers. They both could connect to the same hub.

Hope this helps and Thanks.

RJ